Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #196
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
I agree too, if they had build a revised 250cc with the same tq and power and refinement the 300 has who cares if it's a 200cc, but they didn't. Ride a 300 and tell me you prefer the 250 version.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #197
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
what you really should be doing is picking up a used low mile SV650 cheap and upgrading that suspension.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #198
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
I just can't stand the looks of the fairing and instrument cluster on the SV. Great bike, though. It's an aesthetics thing for me.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #199
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
I don't get the hang up on displacement unless you are racing and want to fit into a class. I lump my bikes into small, mid, large, and stupid sizes. If Kawasaki took the engine from 247cc to say 251, does that mean you wouldn't like it anymore?
I just don't get it. I have a Ninja 250 and love it for it's light weight and flickability. I bought a Ninja 500 thinking it would provide a little more of everything and ended up not liking it much. Still prefer the 250. However if the 300 is a good an engine as they say it is and still preserves the character that I like in the 250, it might just be the perfect bike for me.

Let go of the displacement obsession....who cares if it says 250, 300, or 273.5879 cc on it......just ride the damn thing and enjoy the character of the bike.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #200
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
If they're going to 300cc, they need a new Ninja 125, for those looking for serious fuel mileage.

I do like it, though, but an entry level sport bike needs to be $3,500 - $4,000. Heck, I got my 750 with full warranty for $5,800, just because it had 3,800 test ride miles on it. Half the displacement would be a hard sell for the same price. Even if I were looking for a small first bike, I couldn't justify it. There are just so many other bargains out there...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #201
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I just can't stand the looks of the fairing and instrument cluster on the SV. Great bike, though. It's an aesthetics thing for me.

C'mon...it's not THAT bad!

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #202
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

The 300 has returned 104 MPG in a mileage contest already. I'm getting from 50-60 MPG and thats just riding it the way I like, not trying for economy. A rider intent on high MPG should get well into the 60s without much effort. I'm sure I could just by avoiding the redline.

It retains the same flickability as the 250, I am lucky to have one parked next to it for comparison. The engine mods just filled in the holes the 250 power had and took away the vibes. It feels like a small 4 cylinder more than anything else. They nailed the engine.

If you compare any new bike to used bargains I guess you could never justify any new purchase? I have a neighbor who got a low mile, easily dropped Ducati Hypermotard for $3200. What do I care? It was cheaper than my 300 but it isn't what I want so it matters not.

The 300 is about $500 more than the 2012 250. Tell ya what, you can't make the 250 run like the 300 for 5 times the difference and the bike looks 100X better IMO. The rest I'll deal with, I'm one of a very few riders who would have bought the 300 at $7k if it had better suspension and brakes.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #203
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
From the side, the SV650SF looks great. From the front it looks like a bug-eyed frog. I have to look at the instruments all the time, and hate them compared to a GSX-R or just about anything else.

And I'd have to replace the entire front end, rear shock and brakes, not to mention the swing arm - same as the Ninjette. Just my prejudice...and I understand the economics. The only ways to get the qualities I want are to 1) buy a 600cc super-sport which is way more engine than I need or want, or 2) build a silk purse. There is just no making me happy!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #204
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
...If you compare any new bike to used bargains I guess you could never justify any new purchase? I have a neighbor who got a low mile, easily dropped Ducati Hypermotard for $3200. What do I care? It was cheaper than my 300 but it isn't what I want so it matters not...
Understood. If what you want just came out, or you just don't want used, you just have to bite the bullet on price. I'm just a cheap bastard, who has never bought a new vehicle of any kind. I suppose someone has to buy them new, so I can later get a bargain on them.

The 300 sounds like a pretty sweet motor, from what you describe. If driving style can double your fuel mileage, I'm impressed. That means a budget minded rider could commute for next to nothing, yet have a bit of punch available for spirited weekend rides. Kind of like 2 bikes in 1.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #205
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Tires!

Stock tires are IRC "Roadwinners" and they work better than they should but I don't really trust them as the bike gets leaned over further to the edges. I had cheapo tires on my mini sumoto and it cost me a perfectly good left side ACL last year so I'm allowed to be nervous on budget rubbers!

110 fr/140 rr stockers.

I swapped on a 120/70r-17 front and 150/60r-17 rear Conti Force Supermoto tires. I use these on my KTM 530 when it gets the 17s and they are tuff, warm up fast and get really sticky. No clearance problems at either end. I run the 150 on a 4-1/4" rear wheel and the 300 has a 4" wheel. There looks to be room for a 160 but I know they are better on a 5" wheel. The 1/4" doesn't concern me at all.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...otorcycle-Tire

Rocky Mountain had good shipped prices and I had a little credit/points $$$ to burn too. Good place to deal with.

Navin screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 05:21 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #206
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #207
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Tires were one of the first things I ditched on my 250R. I just didn't trust the stock IRC's, so I went with BT003's. Not cheap, but lots of grip.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #208
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

And true to cheapo bike form, the Fram oil filter PH6017A, is available at Wal-Mart right around the corner from the Rotella!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #209
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I love the new wider ratio trans, much better than the old 250. However, the gearing on the 300 is very low in first, and I was using second gear most of the time from a dead stop. Even with a passenger it was better than first which was more noise than action IMO.

On went a +1 CS from a 2008-12. A 15t counter shaft sprocket and it fit perfectly. Suddenly I have a useable first gear! Nice mod, and I'm a guy who runs super short gears on everything I own. My KTM 950 SMR had a -2 front CS so I like my peppy gearing but this thing was a dirtbike low 1st, probably to help the new riders leave from a stop easier but it just annoted the shat outta me. Gear to gear and uphills and such it feels just as good in the upper gears, I am still cruising around in 6th at 40 MPH with decent roll on power.

Another +, I think the speedo will be closer to actual speed now, stock it runs higher than actual speed. I'll verify that with a GPS ASAP but so far I'm convinced it is actually dong the speed it is reading.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #210
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Gixxer shock is in!

Got it installed!

Lets see, drilled out the shock mount holes to 15/32", bought a pair of 120mm 12mm. fine thread bolts, 4- 9/16" nuts that are exactly 1/2" wide for usec as dog bone spacers, 4 flat washers and it just about fell into place. No rubbing! Feels like the stock valving after a minute with the screwdriver. Now to experiment a bit, hope it gets warm again.