Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Now that is good news!!!!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #272
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
That kit from All Balls was for the previous gen Ninja 250. If anyone owns one of those my recomendation stands. The bike is far more confidence inspiring and solid with real good bearings in the head. My kid's 2012 250 will get a set too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #273
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
I'm surprised the bearings made that much difference. Happy for you that you found the problem.

Did you replace the races also? A lot of times those can be difficult to remove.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #274
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, they just about fell out of the head and off the stem. A few taps of the hammer with a long drift and they were out. You must remove them to set in the tapered race.

Installing the races for the new set was the most time consuming part, the bottom one anyway as there isn't alot of room to swing a hammer. A jig to press them in with threaded rod would have made quick work of it. Still, ten minutes or so on my back reaching up there and the right socket and extension wasn't too bad.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #275
bed
Banned

Oddometer: 4
the legacy goes on!
bed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #276
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I've settled on the Ricor Intiminators to sort the front forks. I can't find a bad review and the guys who went from Emulators to them rave too. Install is alot easier and they are a few bucks more unless I can find the right size on Amazon.

Anyone with experience with them on a Ninja 250? The website lists what looks like a 39mm valve for the pre 08 250s??? They had 36mm forks compared to the post 08 having 37mm. I have emailed them to double check the fit for the 300.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #277
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Intiminators and Gold Valve Emulators do different things; they are not the same solution. I can't find the thread that explained it the best, but those who like Intiminator have a different goal than those who prefer Emulators.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #278
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I want to increase the ability of the fork to flow oil as it packs in multiple high speed compression. I have alot of that on the crap mountain roads around my area. I'll keep searching around but all I've seen so far is the RT is a good step and the Ricor goes to another level of control. The RT also relies alot on oil weight to tune it while the Ricor seems more shim adjusted. I haven't used either, and I'm pretty sure anything would be better than stock. I can brake dive it to bottoming too.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #279
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Area-P tuner is on the way to my door Monday. Their dyno test showed 38.5 RWHP with their full system, header and can. Baseline on a stocker was 34.1 RWHP. Torque goes up and is flatter from around 4200 RPM to redline, peak HP is at 11000-11,500 RPM. Stock it peaks at around 10,750.

I'm expecting similar gains with my gutted header/Akra can.

43 crank HP isn't far from the 45 I was hoping for.

Navin screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 02:26 PM
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #280
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Area-P tuner is on the way to my door Monday. Their dyno test showed 38.5 RWHP with their full system, header and can. Baseline on a stocker was 34.1 RWHP. Torque goes up and is flatter from around 4200 RPM to redline, peak HP is at 11000-11,500 RPM. Stock it peaks at around 10,750.

I'm expecting similar gains with my gutted header/Akra can.

43 crank HP isn't far from the 45 I was hoping for.

Hey Navin.... I know your disease so well, as i have been a long time sufferer of it myself.

Buy... tune, tune some more, hot rod, reconfigure, and on and on and on.

I of course, will try to resist this on my 300 Ninja and do my best to live vicariously, through you.

If not careful, I could probably end up by spending as much on that wee bike as i did on my 690 Duke
which served up 64 horsepower in a considerably lighter package.

The thinks we do for love.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #281
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Hey Navin.... I know your disease so well, as i have been a long time sufferer of it myself.

Buy... tune, tune some more, hot rod, reconfigure, and on and on and on.

I of course, will try to resist this on my 300 Ninja and do my best to live vicariously, through you.

If not careful, I could probably end up by spending as much on that wee bike as i did on my 690 Duke
which served up 64 horsepower in a considerably lighter package.

The thinks we do for love.

Terry, if you do nothing else to your 300, replace the steering head bearings. It is literally a must do.

How do you like the bike?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #282
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Terry, if you do nothing else to your 300, replace the steering head bearings. It is literally a must do.

How do you like the bike?

Navin.. I will for sure look into the bearings.

As we have been getting some stupid cold weather, I will not likely take it from the dealership
until March/April. This will of course fuel some nice fantasies and also make the winter seem interminably long.
Of the dozens of scoots that I've had the pleasure of riding, I would place the 250 R near the top of the list for just
flat out fun and effortless riding. I imagine that the additional kick in the pants and the ABS, will just add to those feelings.

I'm enjoying your enthusiasm.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #283
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
I had a chance to speak with a US Ohlins rep at the Seattle Motorcycle Show yesterday. He told me that the Ohlins distributor in Italy has developed a drop-in replacement cartridge fork assembly for the Ninja 250R racing crowd in Italy. Ohlins doesn't make all of the parts, but apparently the kit is quite impressive. Contact Lenny@superbikechassis.com for more information. He travels 260 days per year, but will answer email as soon as he can. If I decide to go the 300R route, this will be my first area of inquiry, and to keep Navin happy, I'll replace the steering head bearings at the same time I upgrade the front suspension. (And the brake rotors, calipers and master cylinders, and...)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #284
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I had a chance to speak with a US Ohlins rep at the Seattle Motorcycle Show yesterday. He told me that the Ohlins distributor in Italy has developed a drop-in replacement cartridge fork assembly for the Ninja 250R racing crowd in Italy. Ohlins doesn't make all of the parts, but apparently the kit is quite impressive. Contact Lenny@superbikechassis.com for more information. He travels 260 days per year, but will answer email as soon as he can. If I decide to go the 300R route, this will be my first area of inquiry, and to keep Navin happy, I'll replace the steering head bearings at the same time I upgrade the front suspension. (And the brake rotors, calipers and master cylinders, and...)
Engine, wheels and frame have to go too!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #285
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post

Good tip Thanks! I had another place that could convert any fork to cartridges too, I gotta dig that up.