Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #346
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Looks like a somewhat less faired model is about to debut. VisorDown

They left the worst part to deal with, the lowers! Mine may end up just wearing the top 1/4 fairing at some point. I may have it finished as far as modding so it'll stay for now but going under the hood is a PITA.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #347
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Looks like a somewhat less faired model is about to debut. VisorDown

Now THAT'S something that I could live with!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #348
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I really hope they keep both styles around. I would love to get one of these bikes, but I by far prefer the more fully faired version.

(No accounting for tastes, variety is the spice of life, etc. etc.)
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #349
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

2002 GSXR 750 brake caliper on a custom bracket.

Corrects the stocker's deficiencies quite nicely.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #350
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #351
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250, and it has been successful for three decades.

Now that Kawasaki is facing a valid threat in the 250 class, they do what? Take the easy way out and bump the displacement 50cc. Will it be quicker? Yeah of course, but it will also be more expensive, and most depressingly, NOT A 250 ANYMORE! Why is the answer always bumping the displacement? I fear this is a big clumsy step down a very slippery slope that has already ruined countless other machines (VFR anyone?)

Pretty soon the smallest bike anyone will be able to buy in the US is a 1000...

Everyone complains that the 250 would be perfect if it had "just a little more power" but it's a 250 for cryin' out loud. it's not supposed to be super fast.

You're headed in the right direction but let personal views side-track your thinking...

I bet, no GUARANTEE, someone said the same exact thing on here when they heard of the new KTM 350...

Bumping up displacement will always be the easy way out considering one prolly has already gotten the most out of what ever bore & Stroke = 250 cc's. And as long as the insurance breaks are set in Tennessee anyway at 501cc's, then who cares? All that does is let me ride a "hot" bike like a SMR450 at 250cc insurance premiums?

Not to mention, who's gonna tell or even know, if I BB a KTM 450 into a 510cc machine? Get it?

All this stroker 250 bike does anyway is open the door for aftermarket to step in with a BB kit... Toyota Scion anyone?

But now hold on a minute and don't color me a hater. I'm here in search of a light-bike, one that does not "wake up" at 71 mph and is usually ocompanied by the phrase; "He'll have to catch me first.."

Until then, I'll be draw to crazy number cc bikes like a moth to a flame in order to search out this fast enough, but still "Dayyyyyumm!!!" light bike.

It's like my NX... (Yeah, yeah) 280lbs? Fast enough, what maintenance(?), and cool as shit!

Now compare that to the CRM250 I've been drooling over that''s for sale here locally...

Uhm, yeah... 2 stroke? CHECK! Cheap? CHECK! Street legal and unique? CHECK CHECK CHECK!

Am I ready for twice the Hp, half the torque, gear box fluid changes and HALF the MPG my already trouble-free NX is?

If the CRM was 230lbs? F-YEAH, I'd be all over it!

But at 280lbs..? Just what am I getting myself into with a street legal 6-speed version of the CR250 that hardly ANY parts cross-over to?

The Devil is in the details... (And the one riding a CRM250AR if his local economy changes )

Guys, new bikes are cool and all... But a little bit of research and you'll find (To paraphrase Nuthnfancy's "Philosophy of Use") another bike out there that's used, cheaper and better suited anyway. Words like "used" and "niche" only add character anyway

What does a 35hp Ninja 300 weigh anyway? OUCH!

The same as my 65hp, 345lb Duke 2?

Until a Ninja 300 is lighter, I'll stick with the Duke. Why the hell would I need a payment book to figure that out?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:29 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #352
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I got the Emulators installed today. It took all of a lazy hour.

I decided to start off with them at a base starting point of yellow springs, 3 turns preload, stock damper rods (no drilling) and stock oil levels.

My reasoning was that I prefer stiffer suspension, you can't easily make the damper rod holes smaller after you drill them. If I need more oil flow, they come apart and I'll drill 2 holes per leg till I get what I want.

So, off with the brake, the wheel, the fender, out come the fork tubes.

Next, compress the center of the top fork caps and pop out the C clips. Remove the cap, the spacer, the washer and the spring in that order. If you go slow removing the springs you don't lose any oil.

I cut the preload spacers 16mm to match the overall height with the emulator under the spring and cleaned them up. I dropped the Emulator in the tube, spring on that, washer, preload spacer and finally the cap, compressed it in the tube and seat the C clip back in the groove.

The test ride went well. The forks no longer bottom on hard braking. They seem to actually match the firmness of where I have my GSXR shock set. Bumps transmit thru the bike with the same effect, firm and controlled. I tried to hit as many hard, sharp bumps as I could. I can't get them to give me the hammering lock up they had before. I'm guessing they stay up higher with true damping and don't move as much towards full blown bottoming, which was pretty regular for me.

It is snowing and I can't hit the really nasty braking bumps in the mountains. If they deal with that, I might not do much more. As far as I can test them today, they are right on the $. I'll reserve final judgment for a good thrashing road to see if the complete transformation has been achieved.

Totally worth the price of admission, and if I need to tune them further there are quite a few options at my disposal. Different springs to open the valves, and different preload on both sets of springs along with any combo of those adjustments per fork leg. Also more/less spring preload, 12 different holes to open up on each damper rod, and oil levels along with different spring rates, which as of now I am happy with.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #353
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I got the Emulators installed today. It took all of a lazy hour.

I decided to start off with them at a base starting point of yellow springs, 3 turns preload, stock damper rods (no drilling) and stock oil levels.

My reasoning was that I prefer stiffer suspension, you can't easily make the damper rod holes smaller after you drill them. If I need more oil flow, they come apart and I'll drill 2 holes per leg till I get what I want.

So, off with the brake, the wheel, the fender, out come the fork tubes.

Next, compress the center of the top fork caps and pop out the C clips. Remove the cap, the spacer, the washer and the spring in that order. If you go slow removing the springs you don't lose any oil.

I cut the preload spacers 16mm to match the overall height with the emulator under the spring and cleaned them up. I dropped the Emulator in the tube, spring on that, washer, preload spacer and finally the cap, compressed it in the tube and seat the C clip back in the groove.

The test ride went well. The forks no longer bottom on hard braking. They seem to actually match the firmness of where I have my GSXR shock set. Bumps transmit thru the bike with the same effect, firm and controlled. I tried to hit as many hard, sharp bumps as I could. I can't get them to give me the hammering lock up they had before. I'm guessing they stay up higher with true damping and don't move as much towards full blown bottoming, which was pretty regular for me.

It is snowing and I can't hit the really nasty braking bumps in the mountains. If they deal with that, I might not do much more. As far as I can test them today, they are right on the $. I'll reserve final judgment for a good thrashing road to see if the complete transformation has been achieved.

Totally worth the price of admission, and if I need to tune them further there are quite a few options at my disposal. Different springs to open the valves, and different preload on both sets of springs along with any combo of those adjustments per fork leg. Also more/less spring preload, 12 different holes to open up on each damper rod, and oil levels along with different spring rates, which as of now I am happy with.
What fork oil weight did you use? When I did the emulators last year I ran atf for a bit and then swapped it for the propped 15w. It makes a big difference on the rebound.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #354
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oil? Stock monkey piss that Kawi installed, stock height too. I figured I'd be back in to try different stuff anyway so why not? It was still clean and I want to really ride it hard before I can determine a direction I need to move in.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #355
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/25...cles-under-5k/

Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #356
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Alright...it looks like winter may not actually last the rest of my life.

I asked the dealer to uncrate my new 300 (ABS) and slap a Carbon Akropovic
on it.

Should have it by this time next week.

This thread has gone way too long with only one owner pulling the train.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #357
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I figured I was the only one who would ever own one here!

Steering head bearings, 15t sprocket and then a tuner, in that order IMO. Best of luck with it!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #358
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I'm getting a green one as soon as my Bandit sells. Looks like a perfect bike for my twilight years. It's been a long time since any new bike really exited me but these new small bore sport bikes really speak to me.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #359
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Alright...it looks like winter may not actually last the rest of my life.

I asked the dealer to uncrate my new 300 (ABS) and slap a Carbon Akropovic
on it.

Should have it by this time next week.

This thread has gone way too long with only one owner pulling the train.
We expect a full detailed report of all aspects of ownership!

Went and sat on one again at the motorcycle show this weekend and it's gonna be a hard decision for me. Ninja 300 or a DS......Hummmmm
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #360
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
I'm getting a green one as soon as my Bandit sells. Looks like a perfect bike for my twilight years. It's been a long time since any new bike really exited me but these new small bore sport bikes really speak to me.
I noticed that you are in Rhode Island. If you get the Ninja 300 ride over to Twisted Throttle on Route 3 in Exeter, RI. Ask for me. I would love to see it.

Heck, if you're trying to sell the Bandit PM me and I will give you my email address. Then you can email me a flyer I can put on our for sale board in the showroom.

Kevin