Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #376
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Go back and read Navin's development posts throughout this thread. Terrytori has extensive 250R experience, and we will all be watching for concurrance and/or divergence from Navin's recent experience with both the 250R and the 300R.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #377
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I was speaking to 2007 and older ninjas.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #378
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Well I have a 04 Ninja 250 that I am very familiar with and if anyone in WA state will loan me their Ninja 300 I promise to do a very thorough and complete comparison between the two

I know, I know, I'm selfless like that
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #379
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
That's awful nice of you, putting yourself out like that to help others.
I have a '89 Ninja 250 so I guess I could also help someone out like that if someone near me had a Ninja 300..
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Well I have a 04 Ninja 250 that I am very familiar with and if anyone in WA state will loan me their Ninja 300 I promise to do a very thorough and complete comparison between the two

I know, I know, I'm selfless like that
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #380
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
See another individual making the sacrifice to provide information to others.

Ok, now to provide some actual information. I stumbled upon this review on youtube that seems pretty well done. The guy went from a Street Triple to a Ninja 300 and gives his impression of the bike as an experienced rider. That was nice to see instead of the usual "It's a great beginner bike" disclaimer that you see a lot of.

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #381
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
I had a 2006ish Ninja 250 beater we played with as a mini café project too. The 300 is no comparison to any of them except in its agility and lack of braking power. Engine performance and character are totally different.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #382
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I'm actually looking forward to dropping it now...

http://catalystracingcomposites.com/...-kawasaki.html
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #383
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
No Lengthy Review Required

Between Navin's postings and a couple of the video reviews, there is really not a whole lot for me to add about this scoot.

Unlike Navin, I approached this bike with no real desire to mod it up significantly or to hot rod it.

Having a mostly stock 250 R, my primary reason for buying a 300 , was to get that little extra grunt off throttle and in the mid range, and to run a bike with ABS.

Unlike Navin, I have no issues with the stock brakes ... but then, I have not tried to haul it down from triple digit speeds in a hurry.

The bike totally delivers as promised.

Starting is instantaneous and thanks to the FI, there is no need to fire the puppy up ten minutes before departure. The fuel injection is seamless without soft spots anywhere, and usable power comes on as low as 6000 ... that would be 9000 on the 250.

I put an Akrapovic can on it primarily for aural gratification and have not been disappointed. If any of you decide to add an Ackrapovic, pull the silencer tip as it sounds hugely anemic with it in place.

Overall, the bike is a beautiful handing , easy to ride, dead bolt simple little scooter with enough added punch to justify the step up in price from the 250.

Start making serious upgrades to it, and the whole value to performance ratio gets thrown out of whack in my opinion.

It's a great twisty back road bike and a total delight as an urban scoot.

It would be more capable of doing a cross country haul than the 250, but I don't think I'll be putting up my hand up to do that again on something this small.

It is what it is... and it's real good at it.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #384
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
...Start making serious upgrades to it, and the whole value to performance ratio gets thrown out of whack in my opinion...It's a great twisty back road bike and a total delight as an urban scoot... It is what it is... and it's real good at it.
Great summary!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #385
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You cheap bastages.

Bottom line for me, there is only 3 choices right now for a tiny sporty bike. I wanted option #4, the tiny really sporty, hi spec bike they don't build. Great brakes, great suspension and great feel that only a small displacement bike can offer.

I could own a used $4000 GSXR1000 if I wanted one. That throws the performance to value ratio right out the window, unless you want the transitional sensation of a tiny gyro force. Here the 300 delivers what the 1000 can't. It feels like a tank in comparison.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #386
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'm actually looking forward to dropping it now...

http://catalystracingcomposites.com/...-kawasaki.html
That lower is quite nice - finishes the look of the bike well.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #387
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
... I wanted option #4, the tiny really sporty, hi spec bike they don't build. Great brakes, great suspension and great feel that only a small displacement bike can offer.

I could own a used $4000 GSXR1000 if I wanted one. That throws the performance to value ratio right out the window, unless you want the transitional sensation of a tiny gyro force...

Hey, nothing wrong with building that at all. I don't think a clapped-out liter Gixxer is a fair comparison to the 300 at all, though. The above said, in principle, with respect to the 300, I personally agree with TT's assessment.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #388
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with building that at all. I don't think a clapped-out liter Gixxer is a fair comparison to the 300 at all, though. The above said, in principle, with respect to the 300, I personally agree with TT's assessment.

Clapped out? Have you been shopping? My friend bought a 7000 mile GSXR 1000 for $3800 a few months ago. It is mint. I sold my KTM 950 SM to build this bike, over twice the HP, great brakes and suspension. It still feels massive in comparison though. This is as close to a RZ350 you can get right now, hopefully there is a move to build top level small bores, but I doubt it. Till then, I'll build my own!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #389
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
This is as close to a RZ350 you can get right now,
THIS is as close to an RZ350 that I can get right now.

Picked it up in '99, all original, with 16 original miles on it. Still had the factory lithium grease on the chain.

Came with a set of Toomey's (not installed at time of this picture) and a few other bits and pieces. Spent some time talking with a guy down in Florida (forget his name now) that specialized in RZs, and bought a jet kit he put together for me to augment the Toomey's and Y-pipe intake/K&N. Then some more time getting everything dialed in... Great little bike! I haven't ridden it in years now, since moving on to other interests, but it's still a very nice bike...

But, I get your meaning... I need to get a ride on one of these 300s... Then again, maybe I don't...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #390
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

True, but I wanted the 17" wheels, no worries of rotted rubber anywhere...bla, bla, bla. New, fresh, you get the idea. It falls short on so, so many attributes, but it is as close as you can buy, new, in 2013.