Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #541
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,444
15t front is cheaper and the bike can pull even taller gearing just fine. It has enough torque that I can creep at 20 MPH in 6th gear, roll the throttle and it pulls and accelerates without stuttering or hesitation. The engine and FI are that good. Next drive set will probably be 15 CS and a -1 or 2 rear, and I'm 200 lbs. and carry a passenger and ride it hard on mountain roads. I'm a guy who ran the lowest gearing on his KTM950SMR that I've ever heard of BTW. The stock Ninja 300 gearing is just way too low, unless it was a real endure bike. It had a stock first gear similar to my woods gearing on my EXC530!

The Adv or at least super moto style with this engine would be a treat. Of course, a real SS with decent suspension right out of the gate would have been nice too! I'm thinking about shortened WP 48mm KTM forks and a sumoto brake again with a tapered handle bar. I have the triples already. My rear end is great with the GSXR shock. The forks are flexing around under heavy loads from cornering and braking. I doubt the aftermarket brace would be enough to really stop that.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #542
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I'm going to say it's the best bike I've owned. If they'd put this engine in a versys or adv style platform, it would be perfection. Tonymorr is trying to build that for us though even if Kawi won't.
I can't take that kind of pressure!!!!!
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #543
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
I can't take that kind of pressure!!!!!

OK Tone, enough is enough. I'm gonna ride mine up there so you can ride it and that should put a boot in yer arse to get moving on your Adventure 300. I can't take it anymore!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #544
tonymorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
OK Tone, enough is enough. I'm gonna ride mine up there so you can ride it and that should put a boot in yer arse to get moving on your Adventure 300. I can't take it anymore!!!
Sounds good. I'd even met you part way.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #545
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Pick a day next week. I'm a half hour from the NY border and the thruway. Kingston? Newburgh? Lets set it up.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #546
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
They seem to do the low gearing thing on bikes that might be beginner bikes.
The TU250 is geared silly low also, 1st gear at red line is likely walking speed....
And the motor has more low and mid range power then a 250 normaly does.

Sounds like the Ninja 300 is a great motor...

Quote:
15t front is cheaper and the bike can pull even taller gearing just fine. It has enough torque that I can creep at 20 MPH in 6th gear, roll the throttle and it pulls and accelerates without stuttering or hesitation. The engine and FI are that good. Next drive set will probably be 15 CS and a -1 or 2 rear, and I'm 200 lbs. and carry a passenger and ride it hard on mountain roads. I'm a guy who ran the lowest gearing on his KTM950SMR that I've ever heard of BTW. The stock Ninja 300 gearing is just way too low, unless it was a real endure bike. It had a stock first gear similar to my woods gearing on my EXC530!

The Adv or at least super moto style with this engine would be a treat. Of course, a real SS with decent suspension right out of the gate would have been nice too! I'm thinking about shortened WP 48mm KTM forks and a sumoto brake again with a tapered handle bar. I have the triples already. My rear end is great with the GSXR shock. The forks are flexing around under heavy loads from cornering and braking. I doubt the aftermarket brace would be enough to really stop that.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #547
tonymorr

Quote:
Pick a day next week. I'm a half hour from the NY border and the thruway. Kingston? Newburgh? Lets set it up.
I work till 5 during the week and often later :-(
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #548
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You are a slippery one!

You will ride one someday!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #549
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
I had a great time at Nottarally riding twisties around Hot Springs. The 300 would have been a blast there.

It seems like Ninja 300's will likely be easy to find with low mileages at good prices. I'd think a lot of beginners will buy them and after a short time will begin having "ego issues" and "cc envy". I'll keep an eye out for them on CL, till the right one shows up.

I had thought I wanted a motard, but they just don't seem practical. Thumpers just don't have the top end speed, aren't good on the interstate or long distances, and the engines aren't made to last as long as a multi.

Navin, I can't imagine 70 mph on gravel. You can't make any brake upgrades that help you stop on gravel.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #550
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

That 70 MPH was only when there was a looong line of sight and clear road!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #551
Ninjafreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I had a great time at Nottarally riding twisties around Hot Springs. The 300 would have been a blast there.

It seems like Ninja 300's will likely be easy to find with low mileages at good prices. I'd think a lot of beginners will buy them and after a short time will begin having "ego issues" and "cc envy". I'll keep an eye out for them on CL, till the right one shows up.

I had thought I wanted a motard, but they just don't seem practical. Thumpers just don't have the top end speed, aren't good on the interstate or long distances, and the engines aren't made to last as long as a multi.

Navin, I can't imagine 70 mph on gravel. You can't make any brake upgrades that help you stop on gravel.
Took my 300 out this morning on a hiking trip to Graveyard Fields and had a blast. Just can't get enough of this little bike on these WNC mountain 2-lane roads.

Ninjafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #552
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjafreak View Post
Took my 300 out this morning on a hiking trip to Graveyard Fields and had a blast. Just can't get enough of this little bike on these WNC mountain 2-lane roads.

That pic from this weekend...I thought the Parkway was closed due to the government shutdown...No?

Pipe's lookin sharp. I drool over Navin's from time to time, then decide I shouldn't mess with it. You like it? Lie and tell me it's not worth doing
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #553
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pipe's lookin sharp. I drool over Navin's from time to time, then decide I shouldn't mess with it. You like it? Lie and tell me it's not worth doing
Without the decat and tune, it isn't!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #554
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
That pic from this weekend...I thought the Parkway was closed due to the government shutdown...No?

I was thinking just the opposite, The AT is open for OHVs!!!!!
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #555
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
They seem to do the low gearing thing on bikes that might be beginner bikes.
The TU250 is geared silly low also, 1st gear at red line is likely walking speed....
I firmly believe this is done to help n00bs accomplish low speed maneuvers where one must keep the engine pulling on the chain at all times. With higher gearing, the rider has to slip/feather clutch a lot more to do this kind of thing, and n00bs take a long time to really develop that clutch finesse.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote