Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #976
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,075
Can you live with the shatty tires? That will tell a lot about you. I couldn't stand them.

Minimally, I'd swap the head bearings for the tapered, the bike gets really solid after that, new mine felt clapped out after a couple hundred miles. Add a 15t sprocket if it suits you and you might be finished with a really decent bike. What is that, $40 for the bearing, $15 for the sprocket. Then it is what it should have been when it was delivered. Stable with "normal" gearing.

After that + tires I could have lived with it as-is, but there is much more and it isn't crazy expensive to make it much better.

Brakes, SVR's bracket + a Tokico cal will bring it to a level the stocker couldn't dream of. I'd think you might pull that off for about $100.

The GSXR shock is super cheap, add the link arms, you might spend another $100 tops, steering picks up huge precision, but the forks are under damped/sprung/everything stock... one thing leads to another.

It comes down to your expectations. A tune fills in the dips you eventually notice in the power, and the drop off up top. A slip on does zero in power. A tuner with stock system is a better buy.

Beg or borrow a ride on one. I've lost more $ on depreciation on other bikes than the total cost of mine with mods. My total, luggage, all the mods + bike OTD, tax, tags, everything is around $6500. OTD alone was $5400 iirc. $1100 was worth it to me.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #977
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
DP... you're tearing it up, man.

All my best to you.

Enjoy it large.

terry

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #978
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,075
How many miles on yours now Terry???
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #979
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Can you live with the shatty tires? That will tell a lot about you. I couldn't stand them.

Minimally, I'd swap the head bearings for the tapered, the bike gets really solid after that, new mine felt clapped out after a couple hundred miles. Add a 15t sprocket if it suits you and you might be finished with a really decent bike. What is that, $40 for the bearing, $15 for the sprocket. Then it is what it should have been when it was delivered. Stable with "normal" gearing.

After that + tires I could have lived with it as-is, but there is much more and it isn't crazy expensive to make it much better.

Brakes, SVR's bracket + a Tokico cal will bring it to a level the stocker couldn't dream of. I'd think you might pull that off for about $100.

The GSXR shock is super cheap, add the link arms, you might spend another $100 tops, steering picks up huge precision, but the forks are under damped/sprung/everything stock... one thing leads to another.

It comes down to your expectations. A tune fills in the dips you eventually notice in the power, and the drop off up top. A slip on does zero in power. A tuner with stock system is a better buy.

Beg or borrow a ride on one. I've lost more $ on depreciation on other bikes than the total cost of mine with mods. My total, luggage, all the mods + bike OTD, tax, tags, everything is around $6500. OTD alone was $5400 iirc. $1100 was worth it to me.
Fair enough. If I could do all the labor, as you do, it wouldn't be a big deal. Alas, that is NOT the case. I'm tool handicapped, I'm afraid.

Yes, I would also most likely do the front sprocket, as I have on the Versys. I wouldn't do anything else unless I just had to. No tires until they were worn out. Unless they just drove me crazy. I can ride easy(ier) 'til they wear. I have other bikes to ride hot until then. Unless I consider them unsafe for normal use. I haven't met that tire, yet.

Thanks for the heads up. It's really up to how good of a deal the dealer wants to give me. We'll see. Much obliged.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #980
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Fair enough. If I could do all the labor, as you do, it wouldn't be a big deal. Alas, that is NOT the case. I'm tool handicapped, I'm afraid.
Do you mean you don't have tools?
A simple starter kit like this will take care of most jobs you would do.
http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK17...RP0VEKKC6Z02AN
If you can save yourself paying for 1.5 hours of shop labor, then you will have paid for your toolset.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. It's really up to how good of a deal the dealer wants to give me. We'll see. Much obliged.
Used ones are popping up near me for $3.8-4.3K. I bet some of those sellers would take $3.4K.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #981
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Have a safe trip!
Thanks bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Be careful in the winds. They have a wind advisory until 9:00pm tonight here in Las Vegas.

If you need anything, let me know. I would offer to go out but I am readying for a trip your side of the country and not by mc unfortunately.
Yeah the winds are the only downfall of this bike, it doesn't slay them with confidence. I suspect most guys who haven't ridden out here can't imagine it, but they are NASTY. It's sucked from OK through NV. No worries on the quiet night, honestly I needed it after the last 3 days. I've already popped 2 Advil PM's...really blowing it out I sin city ain't I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
DP... you're tearing it up, man.

All my best to you.

Enjoy it large.

terry
Thank you sir.

Quote:
We'll see. Much obliged.
CLS my offer still stands if you want to come ride the 300 to know for sure.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 06:38 AM
doogiepooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #982
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

This was leaving Death Valley yesterday on the way to Reno.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #983
feline
Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer: 405
Beautiful photo! Death Valley is my most favorite place on the planet. Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #984
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
1) UI have very basic tools, but I am very poor at using them. It's a general lack of mechanical ability and insight, I'm afraid. Just not my thing.

2) DP, Very kind. I'm going to try and get a loaner from my shop for the day. They allow me test rides (Usually) but I'm not sure about an extended use. If not, I may holler for a meeting. Much obliged for the generosity.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #985
Terrytori
Namaste

Quote:
How many miles on yours now Terry???

Navin;

I think a little over the 1000 mark.

Weather has just started to look like spring out here.

Tomorrow i will bolt on the MD LED Taillight assembly with integrated directionals, and try to rack up another couple of hundred klicks.

I was scooting my new Duke on Saturday. I enjoyed in hugely. It also served to remind me just how much I like my wee Ninja.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #986
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Navin;

I think a little over the 1000 mark.

Weather has just started to look like spring out here.

Tomorrow i will bolt on the MD LED Taillight assembly with integrated directionals, and try to rack up another couple of hundred klicks.

I was scooting my new Duke on Saturday. I enjoyed in hugely. It also served to remind me just how much I like my wee Ninja.
Wow, short riding season is keeping it like new. Course you also have MBS (multiple bike syndrome) so that helps. I hope to catch that one of these days. Love those Dukes, if they leaned a little more into the 'all rounder" I'd be all over one of those.

This was today in north/eastern Nevada. I blew across I-80 today on my first day headed back home. Made it to Salt Lake City from San Rafael. I've really bonded with this thing on this trip. I ran into some 80mph speed limit signs today and she cruised at 87-90 for a few hours with nary a complaint. I think she's going to stay in the stable for a long time to come. I'm about to die to get her back home and take all the panels off and go crazy with the cleaning, it's really causing me some stress it being this dirty.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 09:25 PM
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #987
Terrytori
Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Wow, short riding season is keeping it like new. Course you also have MBS (multiple bike syndrome) so that helps. I hope to catch that one of these days. Love those Dukes, if they leaned a little more into the 'all rounder" I'd be all over one of those.

This was today in north/eastern Nevada. I blew across I-80 today on my first day headed back home. Made it to Salt Lake City from San Rafael. I've really bonded with this thing on this trip. I ran into some 80mph speed limit signs today and she cruised at 87-90 for a few hours with nary a complaint. I think she's going to stay in the stable for a long time to come. I'm about to die to get her back home and take all the panels off and go crazy with the cleaning, it's really causing me some stress it being this dirty.
Pooch;

So very glad you're enjoying the adventure.

The scooters that get us home from memorable journeys always seem to have a special place in our heart.

Moving to the 300 from my 250 was not easy for that reason.

The task was made less difficult by selling it to a dear friend.

Safe trip home.

terry

Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #988
Ninjafreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

Sounds like a great trip DP! Has your mileage got better now that your headin east with the jet stream?
Safe trip to ya back to the Carolina's!

Ninjafreak screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 05:09 AM
Ninjafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #989
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjafreak View Post
Sounds like a great trip DP! Has your mileage got better now that your headin east with the jet stream?
Safe trip to ya back to the Carolina's!
Yep, I stay mostly in the low to mid 50's, haven't had any head winds on the return trip. OK, TX, NM and some of NV was brutal there for a day or 2. I had expected it from experience on previous trips so not the end of the world just a pain in the butt.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #990
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, I stay mostly in the low to mid 50's, haven't had any head winds on the return trip. OK, TX, NM and some of NV was brutal there for a day or 2. I had expected it from experience on previous trips so not the end of the world just a pain in the butt.
I'm going to edit this low to mid 50's estimate with some actual info. I had to since my estimating skills were pretty far off. I did an IBA 1000 thingy yesterday (Omaha to Canton in 17hrs ) on the way home so I photo documented my receipts to my trip meter/odo.
Fill up #
1 - 38.54 mpgs
2 - 43.21 mpgs
3 - 47.17 mpgs
4 - 48.71 mpgs
5 - 49.45 mpgs
6 - 41.11 mpgs
7 - 48.51 mpgs
8 - 41.00 mpgs
9 - 47.68 mpgs

I generally cruise at +5 to +7 over the posted so most all of that was at 77ish to 82ish. That's me in full gear, which would be about 195 lbs, half the day was in some decent head winds and I was carrying a 20 lb pack.