User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Idle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Standing up tips please

Specifically, do you have any tips on countersteering while standing?

Most of the time on pavement, I ride sitting and standing, it's about a 70/30 split.

I have a hard time using bar input to make the bike turn. I CAN do it, but there's a lot of thought and effort I have to put in to make it turn as easily as when seated.

I'm fully aware of the why's and how's of CS, and can do it while standing without relying on any peg weight shifts at all.

It's just a lot of work both mentally and physicaly with the hands and arms vertical in relation to the bars.

So, I usually use slight weight shifts and press on the inside peg to make the turns. Then, I get in a turn that requires more lean and am forced to CS to sharpen my turn to stay where I want to in my lane.

I ride in the wheel tracks, always have. Left on the rights, and right on the lefts unless it's a sweeper then I might take the inside wheel track.

So basically I want to be able to hold my ~16" wide line as I do when seated.
When standing, I find myself using more of the lane as my standing CS skills need work.

What tips or drills would help me get better at CS'ing at speed while standing.?

I've never really tried any gymkhana type stuff while standing, but have logged dozens of hours ripping around planters in the local parking lots.

I are supermotardurr. Thank for your help.. ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ̄◇ ̄)┘
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Practice.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I wonder if you're over-thinking or over-complicating this. Perhaps simply following the thought of pushing your hand in the direction you wish to go would make it easier to do consistently.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 777
Step 1: Stand

Step 2: Ride

Step 3: Don't get pulled over by some idiot cop

Repeat steps 1-3 until you're good at it
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Idle OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay, full disclosure..

I'm 6'4" tall and I only have 1" risers under my bars. So when standing, my palms are straight up. The only contact I have with the bars is the inside of my knuckles where they connect with my hand. Two fingers are covering the levers. That only leaves my partialy extended thumb to push on the bar.

It would probably help to get taller bars or taller risers I guess..

They are perfect as is, or it seems so. Maybe I post a pic of my riding position so it can be critiqued. Stand by..
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
Step 1: Stand

Step 2: Ride

Step 3: Don't get pulled over by some idiot cop

Repeat steps 1-3 until you're good at it
+1, more riding focusing on being one with the bike, relax look where you want to go, lean with the bike to go there. If your on your Husaberg it shouldnt take much input under normal circumstances. When my hands are in a awkward weak position like you describe, I'm sure as I lean left with the bike my right hand obviously could pull back easier and more natural than the left could try and push forward. Should feel smooth and rythmic with the bike, and not require much thinking, maintain good overall balance and vision, the leaning and Countersteering should both not be overdone.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
OK, I'm a pretty new rider, less than a year. I'm just asking, why do you do this? I stand when riding dirt at times, and I stand to stretch once in a while, usually after a long stretch of higher speed pavement, maybe coming into a town or something, but why would you need to stand so much on pavement that you need to learn to countersteer when standing? 30% is a lot of standing!
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Idle OP
Studly Adventurer

If I can't pass a slower car, I'll drop back to a safe distance and stand. Sometimes they will pull over and let me pass because of it.

When approaching a car on a side street that may or may not see me.

When approaching a crest of a hill, for better visibility.

Or if I'm on a group ride, and it's a slower pace.

Or solo, on a boring straight section.

I stand mainly just to stretch and give my bum a rest.

I can ride 6-8 hours with no problem if I stand 30% of the time from the git-go.

Seated, it's 4-5 hours tops.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Idle OP
Studly Adventurer

What say ye?

And here, my hands are above the bars as if I had taller bars or risers.

Not really a good idea of my riding position while actually riding at speed. I lean forward to counter the windblast to a degree.

I'm gunta go for a ride, I still will be using peg weighting and body english as well as CS when standing. thanks for the help..

I'm sure lower pegs would help aswell as taller bars..
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
What say ye?

What I'm not seeing in your pictures is when standing you need to lean out over the front wheel... especially if you are on a smooth surface... The lower bars are not limiting you in this regard. What it looks like is you want to stand tall in the middle of the bike...

Lean forward....

You can still push on the low bar when standing.. In fact "crank" on the bars, pull on the high bar and push on the low one... It'll turn for ya and right quick..

Stick yer head forward and if ya encounter bumps then bend your knees and pull yer butt back back keep yer head forward...

When it's time to brake grip with yer knees and lower your center of gravity..
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Idle OP
Studly Adventurer

SVS said;
"You can still push on the low bar when standing.. In fact "crank" on the bars, pull on the high bar and push on the low one... It'll turn for ya and right quick.."

I am on a break right now on a ride. I guess I was overthinking it.

That's what I've been doing to some degree, even just now. It just seemed wrong before and somewhat sketchy.
"Sketchy" as in it feels like I could easily over-do it, lose the front and take flight.

It really doesent take much to turn when pushing one side and pulling the other.

As far as riding position, I do lean forward quite a bit I think. My hips are just back 4-6" from the bars I guess. I've leaned on them a few times too.

Thanks...Putting gear back on now.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,503
Quote:
SVS said;
"You can still push on the low bar when standing.. In fact "crank" on the bars, pull on the high bar and push on the low one... It'll turn for ya and right quick.."

I am on a break right now on a ride. I guess I was overthinking it.

That's what I've been doing to some degree, even just now. It just seemed wrong before and somewhat sketchy.
"Sketchy" as in it feels like I could easily over-do it, lose the front and take flight.

It really doesent take much to turn when pushing one side and pulling the other.

As far as riding position, I do lean forward quite a bit I think. My hips are just back 4-6" from the bars I guess. I've leaned on them a few times too.

Thanks...Putting gear back on now.
Riding is intuitive, go out and flow with the bike and then come back and look at yer technique.. Then repeat correct technique in yer head while off the bike to train your subconscious and then it becomes part of the intuitive actions you ride with...

Also when standing most of yer turning is with weighting the inside Peg and "lifting" with the high bar. Most do it and don't know they're doing it. When yer aware of it it's really cool and you can enhance it.. Always look where you want to go and ride with a predictive reactive mindset.

Keith code just wrote his column on this (predictive reactive). Takes the surprise out of the oh shit moments.
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
If I can't pass a slower car, I'll drop back to a safe distance and stand. Sometimes they will pull over and let me pass because of it.

When approaching a car on a side street that may or may not see me.

When approaching a crest of a hill, for better visibility.

Or if I'm on a group ride, and it's a slower pace.

Or solo, on a boring straight section.

I stand mainly just to stretch and give my bum a rest.

I can ride 6-8 hours with no problem if I stand 30% of the time from the git-go.

Seated, it's 4-5 hours tops.
Huh. Interesting. Thanks.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote