Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
wizz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
great advice everybody. rode my old xr yesterday (sold to a buddy so i can still grab it from time to time) which gives me some perspective. i can remember when the bike was uncorked, what an unbelievable difference. couldnt really imagine same weight and drastically less power and torque(wr), or having the same feeling of the corked 650(350). also, when i was riding the xr on the road, theres just no comparison to my multi- i really have no desire to do 20-30,000 miles on a thumper every year, but with the multi no problem.

i literally was on my way to the yamaha dealer when i stopped at the ktm dealer. i have a buddy who is avery good dirt rider that advised less weight=better and its the reason i stopped to take a peak at the exc. glad i posted this here. it really forced me to asess what my riding needs really are, and when comes down to it, i want to be on the multi for long trips and want a dirt bike that i can legally ride to the trails in reasonable comfort.

if there was a husky dealer here this would be much harder. im going to see if i can get on the wr this weekend and check it out, but im leaning heavily towards the ktm.

i can always buy a used wr for the tat if for some reason i dont think the ktms sorted for it, right?
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 979
I wonder too and my guesses are that cars don't rev to 8K RPM on a daily basis, especially automatic transmission ones. The components are larger and structurally heftier. Motorcycle engines have to be light -- maybe that is why Airhead's can ride to 100K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Indeed, bikes are not like cars.

I have wondered why bike engines cannot last longer than they do. I think some of the cause must be the wet
clutch which shares its oil supply
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
simonpig
packin' heat

The 350exc will be better than the husky because of the wider ratio gearbox, in the case you're doing long pavement connectors. Husky has no top end at all if geared for technical riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
great advice everybody. rode my old xr yesterday (sold to a buddy so i can still grab it from time to time) which gives me some perspective. i can remember when the bike was uncorked, what an unbelievable difference. couldnt really imagine same weight and drastically less power and torque(wr), or having the same feeling of the corked 650(350). also, when i was riding the xr on the road, theres just no comparison to my multi- i really have no desire to do 20-30,000 miles on a thumper every year, but with the multi no problem.

i literally was on my way to the yamaha dealer when i stopped at the ktm dealer. i have a buddy who is avery good dirt rider that advised less weight=better and its the reason i stopped to take a peak at the exc. glad i posted this here. it really forced me to asess what my riding needs really are, and when comes down to it, i want to be on the multi for long trips and want a dirt bike that i can legally ride to the trails in reasonable comfort.

if there was a husky dealer here this would be much harder. im going to see if i can get on the wr this weekend and check it out, but im leaning heavily towards the ktm.

i can always buy a used wr for the tat if for some reason i dont think the ktms sorted for it, right?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
wizz OP
Studly Adventurer

is there a reason to get the 350 over the 500? seems to me the exact same bike with different engine and 6 more lbs. have not seen abad review yet, anyone have negative experiences with the 500?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #35
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
is there a reason to get the 350 over the 500?

If you lived in the eastern US and wanted to ride tight woods a lot the 350 might be the better choice,
especially so if you didn't mind trucking or trailering the bike but you still wanted a street legal bike.

But given your stated goals I cannot imagine why you would get a 350 instead of a 500, especially
when you made it clear that you do not want to truck or trailer a bike, and you also want power
similar to the XRR.

It seems to me that you need to ride that Yamaha so you can eliminate it from the selection process. After that
it should be apparent that unless you are willing to buy a Beta, the KTM is the only bike which meets your criteria.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
is there a reason to get the 350 over the 500? seems to me the exact same bike with different engine and 6 more lbs. have not seen abad review yet, anyone have negative experiences with the 500?

Watch the pocket watch which is swinging back and forth in front of your eyes ...

your eyes are getting heavy ... you are relaxed now and you are asleep but you can
still hear us clearly ..

When you wake up and you see an orange bike with a headlight and tail light and "500 EXC" on its plastics, you
will open your wallet and give your credit card to the nice man who can sell you the motorcycle. You will not
remember any of this after you wake up, you will only wonder why you waited so long to treat yourself to
the wonderful bike you now own.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,481
I'll point out that with some patience you can probably get a nice well cared for 07 525 EXC for $4000. 09 530 for $5800. That's probably enough left over cash to get a WR and still be less than the purchase price for a new 2012 500.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I'll point out that with some patience you can probably get a nice well cared for 07 525 EXC for $4000. 09 530 for $5800. That's probably enough left over cash to get a WR and still be less than the purchase price for a new 2012 500.

A 2007 525 EXC will if anything be less hassle than a 500 EXC with fuel injection.

FWIW, a 2007 450 EXC could also work. The stroke in the 450 EXC RFS engine is the same as the stroke
in the 525 EXC, so a 450 can become a 525 ( or a 570 with an aftermarket kit ) without splitting the engine cases.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 02:19 PM
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A 2007 525 EXC will if anything be less hassle than a 500 EXC with fuel injection.
And you were on such a roll Not sure I agree. Everything I've heard about the 350/500 FI has been positive. Kick start too.

Quote:
FWIW, a 2007 450 EXC could also work.
Here is my 07 450, somewhere in Nevada on the TAT. Great bike.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #40
simonpig
packin' heat

True, if you are in the west, the 500EXC is probably better. You won't be revving it to the moon at higher speed helping you achieve better reliability. Better torque slow going as well. It'll feel heavier to turn than the 350, but that's ok if you're not riding majority tight woods.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
wizz OP
Studly Adventurer

ive seen more 02-07 450exc's for sale than 525s. ive rarely seen the 525s. any reason for this? most of the 525s ive seen appeared to be well used to say the least.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ive seen more 02-07 450exc's for sale than 525s. ive rarely seen the 525s. any reason for this? most of the 525s ive seen appeared to be well used to say the least.
No clue. I'd say I see about the same# 450/525. The short stroke 400 (and the 250) are the hard ones to find. Later is better with these bikes. Unlike the Japanese, ktm makes minor tweaks to the exc bikes pretty much every year. Given where you are located you'd probably want the 07 with the magic frame sticker. Also I'd look for <100 hours (as ~200 hours is the time when you may need the valves switched to stainless) or get one where this has already been done as the stainless last a long long time.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #43
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
And you were on such a roll Not sure I agree. Everything I've heard about the 350/500 FI has been positive. Kick start too. ]

No worries !

If we all agreed on everything this site would be far less interesting. It's not a mutual admiration society here,
it's a forum where stuff can be discussed, and disagreement is a positive thing unless it gets out of control
and our "lizard brains" take over the proceedings, and people get banned etc.

I did not mean to say that the fuel injection on the 500 was a bad setup per se. But the extra parts which are not there
on a carbureted bike are parts which may fail and if they fail ( some of this stuff is impossible to repair so replacement is
the only option ) and you don't have spares it could leave a bike unable to run. However the components in question are small
enough and light enough that carrying a complete set of spares might not be out of the question on a trip where failure could be
more than a mere inconvenience.

Neduro had some "interesting" experiences with the new KTMs and fuel injection; see Ned's posts ( # 42, #46, #48 ) in this thread :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=768894&page=3

I put a lot of stock in what Ned has to say, and for me the key idea in his comments in the above thread was the
idea that fuel injection is here to stay and one day it will all be just fine, but that day might not be here just yet in the case
of the KTM EXC bikes which have ECUs which are set up to conform to EPA regs so the bikes can be street legal.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 03:12 PM
Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
simonpig
packin' heat

The other thing to take into consideration is tire choice when determining the level of bike.

You could put a long lasting D606 tire on a 350/500, but something feels wrong about that for me. Seem like a Scorpion Rally Pro or something 90/10 would be more fitting given the level of bike. Again, west coast and east coast probably dictates the tire choice, I just know it's spacious out there.

That 500's torque would probably eat tires fast.

Anyway, all I mean to say is that you don't want to wear out most your tire before you even get to the dirt.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No worries !

If we all agreed on everything this site would be far less interesting. It's not a mutual admiration society here,
it's a forum where stuff can be discussed, and disagreement is a positive thing unless it gets out of control
and our "lizard brains" take over the proceedings, and people get banned etc.
Dude, relax, I was kidding. I'm starting to sense why you left Portland and moved out East. I think you secretly like that manic traffic