User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
DirtyDR OP
Dana

Oddometer: 2,262
Jeep VS Hack

It has been over 30 years since I tangled with an automobile on a motorcycle but my streak ended yesterday going home from work. I was going through a roundabout and I saw the woman in the Jeep wasn't going to yield but I couldn't quite get out of the way and she clipped the back of the sidecar. I am glad I was on the GS rig and not the solo bike or it would have been a lot worse for me. I am also glad I had the cargo tub on and not the fiberglass Friendship II body, as it is she caught me square in the rear gas can and punched in the right rear of the tub and pushed me across both lanes of the roundabout.

The offending Jeep:

Damage is minor:

And she got a ticket:
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
sh1bby69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Glad it wasn't anything worse! Tough rig!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,278
Glad you're OK...and nothing serious except a few metal bends. These can be handily repaired while us Humans not always so. I am sure you had a lump in your throat ....ride safe my friend.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,343
Congrats on surviving!

Damage may be minor, but the insurance settlement will be based on how much it costs to get it fixed at a "professional sidecar repair facility" (which we know there are lots of those in everybody's neighborhood!). But really, even if yer gonna do the repairs yourself, you should try to get a repair estimate from a couple of different shops factoring in labor cost at around $100/hour. And don't forget to get your local BMW shop to check the forks, paralever, telelever and the rear subframe on the bike to make sure nothing got tweaked. Her insurance is paying for everything so you might as well be thorough.

By the way, did she give you or the LEO any explanation?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Glad to hear you are okay, everything else is just time and money, hopefully the Jeep driver will be paying for those.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
DirtyDR OP
Dana

We have the same insurance and actually the same agent, not a lot of choices up here for insurance agents, so I don't think insurance will be an issue.

As far as an excuse it was the old "I didn't see you" defense, of course she said the sun was in her eyes at first but since she was headed due South and it was around 1700 the sun was way in the West so I knew that wasn't it. After we chatted a bit while waiting for the police officer I mentioned I was heading to the farm stand for some fresh fruit and veggies and she said that she was checking out the signs for same and may have not been paying attention.

What she said to the trooper I have no idea as I was headed out and all I heard was some protesting when he started explaining why she was receiving a ticket.

As far as repairs I guess since I built the thing to begin with I will do the repair work. I needed a Winter living room project anyway so it looks like rebuilding the "Adventure tub" will be it. I am just so glad I did not have the fiberglass Friendship II body on it.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,188
Howdy Dana,

Glad your not injured, it could have been nasty.

Just because YOU built the rig doesn't mean YOU can't be compensated for its repair, she hit you there's no reason for you to take any sort of loss on this, I agree with Drone, get the entire rig checked out to make sure the Beemer didn't get bent by being pushed sideways.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Glad you didn't get hurt.

It always surprises me when people are suprised when a cop starts writing them a ticket (or multiple tickets) for being at fault in an accident. "But officer it was an ACCIDENT, why are you giving me a ticket?"
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I am impressed by how little damage there seems to be!

What did the jeep look like?
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
DirtyDR OP
Dana

Don't worry Dave I will get compensated. I checked things out pretty good yesterday evening and took a run on the highway to make sure all is well but I will have it looked at. If anything I would worry more about the final drive getting pushed sideways but it really wasn't violent just a nice shove, I have done worse power sliding it, minus the impact of course.

I dodge people all day in the roundabouts and there was no way she would get out without a ticket if I could help it.

I am impressed more and more with that body and how well it takes abuse. Jeep did have a nasty dent in the bumper as she hit right above the rubber and dented the metal.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
ridenfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
There is a lesson here.
Labrador, Alaska, Coeur d'Alene, Tooele, Sipapu, Then you get within 40 miles of home. Statistics don't lie, designate "home" as someplace you never go.
Glad it was no more than a fender bender.
ridenfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,497
Lots to be thankful about, Dana. You didn't get hurt. I'm sure glad about that.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #13
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
This is why I have a hack.
It is nearly impossible to ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.
Glad to hear you escaped with minimal damage to the rig.
A testament, not only the rig being well built, but the skills of the pilot as well.
Well done and glad you are OK.

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Glad you are safe, I agree never go home.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,649
WOW! Glad to hear you are OK. I just settled up the insurance claim on my trailer that some dude rear-ended last week. It was purchased when I lived in Germany, and there is nothing comparable sold here, so they had to treat it like a "custom build". I ended up coming out OK on it, but like mentioned before, I used the standard $100hr labor rate to settle the claim. I will probably be able to fix it myself, but my time is worth money like any other mechanic. I imagine your time is worth money too, so don't be afraid to fight for the labor costs.