Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #76
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Don't listen to Sting32.......how could he know how to ride trials anyway.......we all know Kansas is flat prairie land ;)
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #77
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
Don't listen to Sting32.......how could he know how to ride trials anyway.......we all know Kansas is flat prairie land ;)
Never let any Pro, seasoned person, expert, etc. dissuade me in any endeavors...
Used to golf with some friends and after a few rounds of them telling me my form was all wrong
,etc, etc. ( I hold/ swing the club like a baseball bat) but still being able to hit the ball farther and as accurately as them they quit asking me to join them. (The noob kicked their buts and didn't have to buy drinks.)
More than one way to skin a cat I say.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #78
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

SnoDrtRider..... Sting32 is giving good riding technique advice......I was just trying to get him riled up

I understand Sting32's desire to hammer home the basics and 'boot camp' training mentality. A person can pick up some bad habits that would hamper a person's ability to progress as time goes on. I competed in trials for about three years and can remember that I concentrated on practicing balance and turns the most. I would go in my garage, turn on the radio, and balance the bike not running and count the number of songs on the radio I could listen to without dabbing. (Boring I know....but effective.....and I could do it after the sun goes down).

I can also remember riding as a Novice in Sting32's local club grounds and this one section had a simple flat turn....but the ground was covered with chunks of old bricks. Because of my lack of turning skills I fived that section all three loops on those bricks as I rode wide and crossed the tape. All I would have had to do was take a single dab to help make a tighter turn or pull the bike around, but noooo I wanted to clean it, but I didn't have the skill set yet.

The main thing is to have fun.....for me the fun was learning and getting better. The skills learned will make a person better in all forms of riding, be it street or dirt. I am a believer in that.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #79
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
Never let any Pro, seasoned person, expert, etc. dissuade me in any endeavors...
Used to golf with some friends and after a few rounds of them telling me my form was all wrong
,etc, etc. ( I hold/ swing the club like a baseball bat) but still being able to hit the ball farther and as accurately as them they quit asking me to join them. (The noob kicked their buts and didn't have to buy drinks.)
More than one way to skin a cat I say.
... and even a blind sow will find an acorn once in awhile. the problem is you can talk about those one in a millions, or the people that can make gold out of straw, but 99.9% of us mere humans, won't.

This is why when I teach or speak I am trying to come from the perspective of "average" rider. I am AVERAGE, I was never a pro, never made it to "master class" so I leave all of those advanced stuff I haven't mastered to those who have.

Plus, It does little to tell you about a student I had, that was above the rest in bicycle trials, before beginning to ride moto trails, and how differently we could approach the basics. now if someone gets on the board here and asks, I could probably give my experiences (from teacher side, but it didnt last very long either), but it would be more likely in PM so not to confuse the "normal riders" not because I don't think the normal riders wouldn't like to know, but I sure as hell am not going to let AMCROSS or people like that, get confused with unusual circumstances....
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #80
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
SnoDrtRider..... Sting32 is giving good riding technique advice......I was just trying to get him riled up

I understand Sting32's desire to hammer home the basics and 'boot camp' training mentality. A person can pick up some bad habits that would hamper a person's ability to progress as time goes on. I competed in trials for about three years and can remember that I concentrated on practicing balance and turns the most. I would go in my garage, turn on the radio, and balance the bike not running and count the number of songs on the radio I could listen to without dabbing. (Boring I know....but effective.....and I could do it after the sun goes down).

I can also remember riding as a Novice in Sting32's local club grounds and this one section had a simple flat turn....but the ground was covered with chunks of old bricks. Because of my lack of turning skills I fived that section all three loops on those bricks as I rode wide and crossed the tape. All I would have had to do was take a single dab to help make a tighter turn or pull the bike around, but noooo I wanted to clean it, but I didn't have the skill set yet.

The main thing is to have fun.....for me the fun was learning and getting better. The skills learned will make a person better in all forms of riding, be it street or dirt. I am a believer in that.

Steve
LOL yeah, well that is Wing Trails Group's "class winning techniques" lessons that we've never discussed online, lol... "ONE IN TIME SAVES FIVE" was our motto and almost got printed on T-Shirts back in the day... and has actually been my motto since before 1976, but in 76 I was finally old enough to "get it and what it means instead of just saying it because it sounds right." The nice thing is, ONE something, be it a dab, a hop, or hitting the bigger one obstacle or harder lead up line, all fits the motto as well... (oops did I let that cat out?)

I also love to re-tell this story, of my best trials of my life, in 82... For many years my dad, the person that if you DON'T golf with, saves you 4 strokes off your golf game, always joked with me in the cab of the pickup and around the campfires, "Mitchy, when I get older, and you have to wheel me out in my wheelchair, to my poor ol Bultaco, Ill still beat your ass {at trials}..." I was 17 when I finally beat his score, heads up...

Next time you think KS is too flat, come on over we'll ride...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #81
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Mitch,

I thought it was obvious that I was joking about Kansas being all flat..... remember I have ridden with you at Douglass, cool place. Do you remember when I first started riding trials and I rode Novice class in the Central Regionals. While riding my last loop a couple of checkers said 'It looks like we might have a ride off." I didn't know what they were talking about and I just went on my way. It turned out two of us tied for first with a clean day, and to separate first and second we were to have a 'ride off' and I think we rode two or three Amateur sections. I was nervous as hell.....I hadn't ridden stuff that hard yet. It seemed like everyone was all excited and came to watch us rookies make a fool of ourselves. I remember Kelly Echterling came and walked the sections with me to coach me through it. It was a nail bitter, but I pulled out the win. All of this drama for Novice class lol. Good times!

Here's a pic.... remember me now?

Steve Eichelberger
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #82
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Mitch,

I thought it was obvious that I was joking about Kansas being all flat..... remember I have ridden with you at Douglass, cool place. Do you remember when I first started riding trials and I rode Novice class in the Central Regionals. While riding my last loop a couple of checkers said 'It looks like we might have a ride off." I didn't know what they were talking about and I just went on my way. It turned out two of us tied for first with a clean day, and to separate first and second we were to have a 'ride off' and I think we rode two or three Amateur sections. I was nervous as hell.....I hadn't ridden stuff that hard yet. It seemed like everyone was all excited and came to watch us rookies make a fool of ourselves. I remember Kelly Echterling came and walked the sections with me to coach me through it. It was a nail bitter, but I pulled out the win. All of this drama for Novice class lol. Good times!

Here's a pic.... remember me now?

Steve Eichelberger
Steve I was pretty sure it was you, seriously.
and, as a Kansan, I get that "kansas is flat" all the time, or "where's toto?" ,

I haven't seen you at any events for a few years, but I see you post on FB and all that. figured maybe that would get you back on the bike, lol, Cheers!

Sting32 screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 12:07 PM