User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
FosTerH0ME OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Laugh Road Suggestions near Wollongong AU

I am super stoked! I have found a bike rental on my upcoming vacation and will be riding in Australia!! I have found a number of decent looking roads but I only have three days and I don't want to miss any epic roads I may not have noticed. Any road/ride or sightseeing recommendations would be much appreciated! Where is the best ride in the Southern Highlands?!

I am trying to stay within a days ride (500-600miles) of Wollongong and plan on doing one overnight stay for two of the days.
FosTerH0ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Natho
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey buddy,

A year or so ago, also on a rental I went from Sydney, south through the Royal National Park and along to the great ocean drive. Great scenery and twistys.

I also went North of sydney, all along the northern beaches from manly to Palm beach.
And on the way back went through Bobbin Head, and then cut across to Galston Gorge. Some good hills and hairpins.

If you're willing to go further afield again. Take the old pacific highway north to Gosford then Terrigal or The Entrance.

Hope this give you some ideas!
Natho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Natho
n00b

Oddometer: 2
oh, and dont forget the blue mountains!
Natho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Not sure if you have gone allready but if you are in the woolongong area the maquarie pass road is a must. you can no doubt you tube it and there will be bike vidieos for sure. Once your at the top of the pass there aree plenty of nice little backroads both tar and gravel right through out the region. A trip to fitzroy falls if you want something to look at.

have fun.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
Day trip?

As mentioned the blue mountains are cool, I deliver fertilizer around Bathurst and if you head towards Oberon there are some magic tar roads. Also you can visit the Mount Panorama Race Track and do a lap as its a scenic road that doubles as a race track, An Aussie must do.
Wollongong to Picton to Penrith Katoomba to Bathurst to Oberon to Goulburn to Moss Vale to Wollongong about 600km.

When do you get here?
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
FosTerH0ME OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Laugh

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions guys. I had a wonderful ride! Over 1300km! I rode Macquarrie pass no less than than 40 times over the three days I had my rental. Best road ever! It was better than our Tail of the Dragon here in the states by a long shot. I had a wonderful trip and by the time we were getting ready to leave, my wife and I were trying to work out how she could practice Occupational therapy in Australia on a year visa! I love AU and have really missed it since I returned home.

I had a great ride! The BMW 650 I rented was in good shape and luckily had heated grips because it rained for half of my ride. That didn't stop me though. I rode through Katoomba, Janolan Caves, Royal National Park, ate at the Robertson Pie shop, and much more. It was a marvelous adventure! Very little dirt but tons of street riding. I can not wait to return.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
FosTerH0ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Well good to see you enjoyed it mate. Thought you might have more than one run at the pass if you found it.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote