Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #16
goosecreek OP
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
It was dark I live in a rural area when the ambulance passed it had only the headlamps on. I saw no other headlmaps(there is a hill and curve but I did not see any lights coming) the store I was turning left into is well lit with a stop light 20yds up the road and the speed drops 100yrds before.
I do not see it practicle to only make right turns in a rural setting but neither is landing in the road beside a busted bike.
I should not have to only turn left in areas that I can do so without stopping but on a 350 bike I will not argue with a car again.
The traffic in front of me was just starting to pull off the light so I would have been in second gear even if I had not been turning.
The fact is she was not thinking of anything but her husband and should not have been driving sealed my fate. My wife gave her a ride to the hospital, on the way there she told Heather she nromally does not drive. Yet she was driving after dark in a distressed state
Wow I am sore I can feel muscles I never knew I had and the mild headaches come and go but I am sure that will pass in a few days.
I would be very angry if it were not for the fact that I am sure the only way she coul be with her husband that night was to drive.
I am going to write it up as an easy lesson learned and hope that all of you think twice before pulling out behind an emergency vehicle even if it appears not to be working at the time.
Now on to the task of getting my bike up and running . This is the perfect time of year to ride in this area
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Widowmaker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my 2 cents

I would say you follow alot of good practices with ATGATT leaving space and being aware of your surroundings. The only thing I would add is that having the extra space wont help if you arent using it. If you are stopped at stop sign, intersection, etc whether you are turning or going straight keep an eye on the mirror and if you see a vehicle that doesnt look like it is slowing just pull next to the vehicle in front of you or to the shoulder to get out of the way. Just remember that if the person is not paying attention they may hit the vehicle you are next to so be prepared to move further up or away if they are still not slowing down. Glad that you werent injured and that you already practice good habits when riding.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
ardbeglily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
no way

I used to ride as a Pediatric ICU Transport RN and told parents very clearly that could NOT follow behind the ambulance and that if they did we would stop the ambulance or call the State Troopers. I was concerned with being in the back and their car coming through the back door or having them run a light behind us and wrecking. Glad you didn't do more damage. We learn something new every day.
ardbeglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
goosecreek OP
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Widowmaker I think you hit on one of my biggest mistakes I checked the mirror as I came up to my turn then I focused on the on coming traffic never checking the mirror again.
Ardbeglily can the spouse not ride in the back ? I see it on TV all the time
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeglily View Post
I used to ride as a Pediatric ICU Transport RN and told parents very clearly that could NOT follow behind the ambulance and that if they did we would stop the ambulance or call the State Troopers. I was concerned with being in the back and their car coming through the back door or having them run a light behind us and wrecking. Glad you didn't do more damage. We learn something new every day.
Interesting! I noticed in Hawai'i they don't let relatives ride in the ambulance either but in the UK they do. I do understand the logic of not having relatives directly follow the ambulance when they are upset, that is just asking for disaster. I assume they are told to proceed to hospital at a normal pace rather than tailing the ambulance lawyer style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Good advice, and glad you are ok!

Forgive me if someone else covered this, but as a guy who has driven "code three" lots of times, It's important to watch out for other support emergency vehicles which may be assisting the original unit...

Be careful out there!

Steve
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,652
thanks for the story, and the reminder for ATTGAT. I recently took a job near home, and sometimes don't wear my riding over pants, just jeans.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
SmokingBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
As someone who works EMS and drives emergency vehicles everyday, here's some tips:
Never ever ever follow directly behind. We do in fact direct relatives to stay far back and travel at normal pace. They won't be able to see the patient for awhile anyway.
Never ride on the left side of the vehicle. We are trained to merge left to get around traffic, even so far as to go into opposing lanes. This is supposed to work with drivers pulling over to their right.
It's fine to pass on the highway. Most ambulance squads are not allowed to go over about 70mph. So passing in the fast lane is fine, but look ahead so you don't get caught while the squad is merging left around traffic.
If you draft behind a squad, expect more often than not for the medics to call PD on your ass. And if they do, I promise you will get cited for everything you can be.
SmokingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,356
Goose, so glad you're okay! All the best on your recovery and finding a replacement!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #25
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 596
Glad you're alright Steve!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
When I drove

When I drove, I would take the time the medics used to start IV's to tell folks to not follow me, not speed, especially not follow me thru a red light. You cant do the patient any good if you dont get there and we will beat you everytime. We let one family member ride shotgun up front, never in the back unless we were hauling young children.

Also there getting so they dont want us running red lights and sirens for fear of causeing a wreck on all but the most severe emergencies, when people who are not paying attention suddenly see and hear and do stupid shit. Like stopping right in front of you. Yeah they do. Or they move right or left right into somebody else.

Fire trucks spill water, loose hose, and can have other stuff fail, break and fall off. And yes you see one Engine, think a bunch more. We are volunteer and Our first response will be the little fast truck, a engine, and a tender/pumper tanker. Then depending on who shows up and what the call is another engine, and two more tankers and the air truck, maybe rescue and a brush truck. And if we call for mutual aid who knows whats coming from where.

Keep your eyes and ears open kids

Jailor8
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
If the amberlamps isn't even running any flashing lights, it would be hard to tell it was doing an emergency transport rather than just returning to base or out getting gas or whatever. Some of the fire trucks etc. have a KEEP 200 FEET BACK sign on them but beyond that I don't think I'd be watching out more than normally for a civilian car coming up from a long way behind.

Tough break for OP, glad he survived, at least there was an ambulance nearby! He got rear-ended by an inattentive driver and it is not a good excuse that she was trying to catch up to the ambulance from a long way behind. If she chose to drive she is responsible for her driving. Maybe a better life lesson to be had from this, is that if your loved one is being transported and you are very upset, have somebody else drive you, so you don't end up causing an additional accident yourself.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 05:14 PM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #28
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Glad you're ok, Steve, and sorry you won't be making the BWDR campout... what a bummer.
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #29
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 67
[QUOTE=goosecreek;19598642]

Well done on being able to walk away.

But then again, from this view point, it does look like your rear tyre is on the wrong way round. Maybe the little old lady thought you were coming not going!
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #30
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Youth,

Glad you're o.k! And to think when i was younger! Much younger i would follow ambulances to cut traffic and just for the thrill! Those days are long gone now but i loved the speed and passing all the cars. In retrospect it was a most silly and dangerous attitude, and i'm sure glad after a few spills and chills and of course age,i can see the benefits of safety and reason.