User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
cptngym OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Question Great Lakes loop

Looking for some guidance for a ride around the Great Lakes next summer. I live South of Chicago about 100 miles, so I would expect to take off from home and head toward Duluth,MN. How much time should I allow to make the full loop? Not trying to get my IBA award but if things went unexpectedly smooth I might push to complete the ride in 100 hours.
cptngym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,581
I did the UP and up around Superior this summer on my KLR. I did a lot of gravel on the UP, (I skipped circumnavigating Lake Michigan) and dawdled quite a lot. The dawdling was great. There is so much to see around there. I took two weeks with some very slack days. My ride report is here. You may find it of use. It's a very worthwhile ride. Taking it slower has huge benefits.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808201
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
Check out this report by Cannonshot, and others by him. He's got a lot of knowledge about Michigan's UP, Wisconsin, and the area aound Lake Superior.

I spend a lot of time in Michigan, and have done a lot of riding there. I would recommend spending as much time as you can around Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Lake Superior.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
Check out this report by Cannonshot, and others by him. He's got a lot of knowledge about Michigan's UP, Wisconsin, and the area aound Lake Superior.

I spend a lot of time in Michigan, and have done a lot of riding there. I would recommend spending as much time as you can around Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Lake Superior.
Cannonshot is a master. You cannot go wrong with his routes. A big +1 on this.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 84
It really depends on whether or not you plan to stay on pavement, or noodle around on dual sport type unpaved roads, and there are plenty of those up there. I recently spent 5 days doing a road only loop, and it felt fairly rushed and I did not get to see as much of northern Wisconsin and Michigan as I wanted too. The two lane highways and country roads in the north woods of Wisconsin are very nice, and I encourage you to say away from the slab. You can cross lake Michigan on car ferries for another neat part of the trip. I went across from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc WI on the SS Badger, a 50's era coal fired steamer, and it was a hoot.

Take your time, allow a week to really explore things. Have fun and we expect to see a great ride report.

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
cptngym OP
Adventurer

I expect with a R1200RT to stay on pavement.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Jim-Mer
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 84
Well, that makes sense! That is what I was riding as well. Have fun and let us know how it works out.

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Lake Superior loop

Did it about 6 years ago in the middle of summer. Rode to Duluth from Little Rock, Arkansas. From Duluth up and back around to the to the UP of Michigan took 1 1/2 days. Didn't make the entire loop back to Duluth. Grand Marais, MN is a great little town to spend the night. Even if you go in the middle of summer be sure and take some warm clothes, the north side of the lake produces some pretty chilly air. Watch your gas on the NE side.
Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
cptngym OP
Adventurer

Good to know about the gas issue thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
N1SP
Roadwarrior

Oddometer: 43
Thumbs down

The wife & I rode from our home in MD, up through Michigan, through the UP, clockwise around Lake Superior, Georgian Bay, Lake Ontario, coming back into NY @ Ogdensburg in July 2008 on my K1200LTC pulling our Unigo trailer. I was following a route put together by a bunch that live in that area & ride it every year. Of course we stuck to the pavement & I would have to say it was one of the most un-exciting routes we've ever taken. The Candian side of Lake Superior was the best part with some actual elevation changes & curves. We stayed on secondary & "scenic" roads most of the way except for the last bit in CN before the border crossing.
I'd rather deal with the mind numbing mid-west to get to the Rockies before I would bother to go there again.
JM2CW
Chris
Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SP View Post
The wife & I rode from our home in MD, up through Michigan, through the UP, clockwise around Lake Superior, Georgian Bay, Lake Ontario, coming back into NY @ Ogdensburg in July 2008 on my K1200LTC pulling our Unigo trailer. I was following a route put together by a bunch that live in that area & ride it every year. Of course we stuck to the pavement & I would have to say it was one of the most un-exciting routes we've ever taken. The Candian side of Lake Superior was the best part with some actual elevation changes & curves. We stayed on secondary & "scenic" roads most of the way except for the last bit in CN before the border crossing.
I'd rather deal with the mind numbing mid-west to get to the Rockies before I would bother to go there again.
JM2CW
Chris
You must have had a lousy route in Michigan.

But then again, people's experiences and tastes vary.

There are some premium riding experiences in that region.

Lake Superior

Western UP

UP

LP/Lake Michigan
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
cptngym OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the links.