Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #151
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Fire Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
Thanks for making the extra places at the fire ring. Enjoying your look at life and the road a lot.

Jay
Jay, You know that as you sit in, the storys travel around the circle. We can be patient, but urge you to speak up. When you start a thread - let us know here - so we don't miss it. John .
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #152
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
I haven't found anyone that can "Keep Up". Not really. Riding solo has its advantages. Only one decision maker. As in flying - only one person is Pilot in Command. The disadvantage - no one to blame when you run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas simultaneously.
lol... yes so true, pilot in command has many upsides, but some really bad downsides on occasion...

Oh ya... you've got to find out what those secret alien plants are that change color when growing near gold deposits... you may start the next gold rush.

aviatorbdm screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 11:14 AM
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #153
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
lol... yes so true, pilot in command has many upsides, but some really bad downsides on occasion...
Why is there air? I heard somewhere it is there so the clouds have something to lie on. Or was it to hang onto? Senior moment(s).
Senior pilot(s) got coffee first - set cockpit temperature to their liking - expected praise on most landings - or "Wow! Captain, you sure saved that one - who would expect a wind shear at 5 feet altitude? . . . etc." and Yes, I too EVENTUALLY became a senior pilot.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #154
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Plant I.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post

Oh ya... you've got to find out what those secret alien plants are that change color when growing near gold deposits... you may start the next gold rush.
If I knew the plant's I.D. - - - do you really think that I would share the knowledge - - - even to a fellow aviator?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #155
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Don't limit yourself to just one decade. My goal is to be named in a Paternity Suit when I am 100.
Great story. Really enjoying it!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #156
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,144
John, I've read your RR up to date. Good stuff. Your writing is interesting, and fully shows the point of view that we older guys come up with.

I'll suggest this, and you can tell me to kiss your ass.....but it would be easier to read if there were paragraphs. After all, when I write, I don't want to give anyone an excuse to pass on my RRs.

and furthermore even without the paragraphs, I'd like to read a bio of all the things you've done. I'm sure your life story would be a gooder.

Thanks for this write up.

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #157
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Hi. Yes, I have been riding since 1949 on motorized machines. The Ride Report Dilemma. . . I have spent more than a few evenings around a fire ring listening too, and telling the travel tales. It doesn't get much better than that.
I also realize the world is changing faster than me. Who would have thought we would have Capt. Kirk's flip open communicator, G.P.S., Internet, etc. Anyway, I realized that the motorcycling community is also changing. As riders, we don't spend as much face to face time with each other - we rely on the new technology. Instead of the Annual Family Reunion where we all tell the tall tales covering the past year - we send emails, facebook pictures and videos, back and forth.
The Big News to me was: There are a heck of a lot of Riders who are craving information on every aspect of motorcycling. We want to know what we need to have to ride in Africa, Asia, Alaska, and all through the alphabet to Zanzebar. Our Rand McNalley maps and AAA can't answer some of those questions. I scour these Ride Reports before I wander away from home. They give me an inkling of what to expect. . . much better than most "Travel Guides".
I hope that my slant on travel fills a small portion of the void. I probably spend more time telling about the people and the encounters within my travels. Specifics = the Route 97 North from Klamath Falls, Oregon is a two lane asphalt etc. etc.. The maps pretty much tell the road's story. The Trans-Siberian Highway map is a bit more vague - R/R's to the rescue.
I have mentioned "Crashmaster" somewhere along the line. His report has me seriously planning on expanding my riding area south - way south. Time will tell.
We are members of a great community of Riders - our Fire Ring is still here - it has just expanded to seat a whole bunch more in the circle..
Awesome observations. There are a few good Alaska reports on this site, and yours is one of them.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #158
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,421
Really enjoyed your write up. Im not 148 like everyone else praising but its defiantly inspirational. I liked your story of the trooper running your information. Im a current leo. Nothing more nerve racking then when another cop runs your information. (Not that I've ever been pulled over since I've been a cop.)

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #159
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Teslin and Beyond

Teslin and Beyond

Here we go again. I wish everything came in order, but life is not a neat, "Keep in Line Procession." Seeing the Teslin Bridge reminded me of meeting a rider from Connecticutt just outside Whitehorse. In our short gabfest, he inhaled two cigarettes. He was telling me how he hated metal gridded bridges. I agreed that they are a thrill to ride across. The bike kind of finds its own merry way across. It can be downright scary when you meet one of Alaska's 50 wheel truck and trailers combination as you skitter around. The Teslin Bridge is the biggie on the whole trip. It is very long and with a crosswind would be hairy. The rider went on to say that his Victory was super scary - it veered from side to side and just missed the guard rails. He stopped after he got off the bridge for a cigarette. That's when he noticed his rear tire was flat.
Teslin (Note: double spacing to see if paragraphs will separate) to the Highway 37 was a great ride. The temperature was back up into the 70's so needed no electrics. No wind - along a nice up and over, curvy road. As I turned onto Hwy 37 - also known as the Cassier Highway - I recalled the fellow back in Homer who cornered me in the parking lot of the Motel - in the rain - He went on to talk about his extensive riding on his Goldwings. He has had three in the past 25 years and has racked up almost 30,000 miles - total.
I said my route included the Cassier. He went on and on about, ". . . You shouldn't even try . . .it's TERRIBLE. . . all gravel . . .pot holes you could loose a cow in. . . etc, etc."
"Uh excuse me. When did you ride the Cassier?"
"Ahem. Well, I didn't ride it. I drove it. Couldn't have made it on a motorcycle. It was terrible . . . oh, when? . . . ummmmnnn that was 1985." 27 YEARS AGO! ! !
I discovered that at some point in the past 27 years, the gravel has been covered with asphalt. Potholes? Well a few. But I don't think they would hold much more than a goat - much less a cow. The first 30 miles were kind of bleak. Everything has been burned to a crisp. Black, ash covered ground. Blackened trees. Black bleak.
Topped a ridge at 30 miles and green trees ahead crowned with a plume of black smoke indicated a fire well over 500 acres was still burning. Turned out that over 5,000 acres have been lost in this new fire. It will burn until it snows. Nope. No fire crews working on it.
The Cassier is a two lane asphalt ribbon without fog lines, center divider lines or signs recommending speed in up coming curves. (There are portions fully marked.) There are few guard rails and next to nothing traffic. It actually allows a rider to practice skills - like - reading the road's surface , approaching terrain, evaluating curves . . . just like in FUN RIDING! It twists. It turns. It skirts the shores of lake after lake and bores through tree created tunnels. Look sidewise and see those pesky glaciers dripping ice water down mountain sides. Bridges leap over streams almost beyond number.
I located a gas station and General Store. Topped off the gas tank and bought a can of Puritan Ragout de boeuf. It is similar to Dinty Moore Stew. A 700 gm. can was $5.25 A tasty repast.
I saw a sign pointing to a Resort and RV Park. I pulled in and asked if they had tent sites or a sleeping cabin with a price I couldn't pass up. Imagine that . . . they had an empty cabin. I did not have to fight the mosquitos and other humming , flying creatures. I just moved stuff into a lighted room with a real bed and table . . . only one bar of WiFi. At 11:20 P.M. I conked out. I hope I remember to tell about the Japanese guys I met today.

Typical Cassier scene

Lots of Lakes

More Road

They have a Pass?

Day's end
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #160
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
dang, brings back memories of riding that GREAT road! Hope to be able to do it again some day!
woodly1069 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #161
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Excellent report, really, really digging this one. Some awesome observations, and some one-liners that are soooo appropriate, even without context. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #162
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump in the Road

I ride umpteen thousand miles with only an occasional " fall down go boom". I get home - trip in the front yard and RE- Compress the previous Compression fracture of T-12. Percocet and Vicodin are fighting for control. This latest test may require a detour or two. Will know more in a day or so.

A tightly cinched body brace has me walking around with my tongue sticking out.

More soon. John M.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #163
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Yeah, it's like the only time your back goes out is not while you're
camping, but when you're at home getting out of bed.

Get well and ride us some more stories.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #164
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,290
Hope you heal up soon!

Enjoying your RR. We did an epic trip to Alaska in 2009 and this is bringing back good memories.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #165
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Hope you heal up soon!
Me too. Fall has arrived. 29 degrees this A.M. Mexico awaits.