In..great report!
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #182
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
All in... awesome so far !

We had a 90 year old WWII Vet crash his plane nearby the other day. He landed the plane fine then it flipped over at low speed. He got injured AFTER he unhooked his harness and fell out...I hope I can be that much of a man when I am 70 let alone 90

If you want to read about it do a google for 90 year old crash: www.bannergraphic.com ( you can link through from Google)
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #183
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Headed for the barn

Headed for the Barn
Morning in Eureka started with another thunderstorm that eased off as I finished breakfast. The 194 miles to Missoula, Montana took nearly six hours. Everybody and their brother was on the road for one of the last of Summer's warm days. Real convertible weather.
I made it to Mack & Jean Smith's home and spent a day or two catching up on all their news and inventing storys for me to tell. After a great, but short visit with M & J - who fed me a pork roast described as a pork chop (I could only eat 1/2. The other 1/2 was placed in a sandwich bag and inscribed with my name - where is it? Still in the refrigerator at the Smith's. So much for my anticipated roadside snack!) We may have forgotten it after having breakfast at Paul's Pancake Parlour. It was a 15 minute wait to get in. Food as good as it gets. A longer line waiting as we left. Check it out - GPS friendly.
I followed the Lolo Trail leaving Missoula. I seem to remember Chief Joseph and his entire Tribe passing through here while evading the U.S. Army. Lewis and Clark brought the whole area to the attention of a forward looking President. There is a picturesque road that tries to stay close to the river. The river was dotted with people in inner tubes, rubber rafts and a few actual boats. They were all having a great time bumping through the rapids and then slowly drifting downstream to the next patch of white water.
I set a new World's Record for the number of sneezes any one individual can survive covering a mere 100 miles of road. The air was filled with smoke from fires in Idaho. I averaged between 3 and 4 sneezes per mile. They were not a desired distraction.
It wasn't very long ago that I was complaining while travelling Northbound, that it was too hot and that I had Cold weather equipment - but not for hot. So I spent a couple of weeks in cold, and in wet and cold, and may have mentioned that it wasn't all fun. Ha! Today it was 90 degrees. Guess what? It's HOT! ! ! I may be doomed.
From here to home base, I think I have covered all the available routes on former rides. I am fortunate to live in an area with motorcycle friendly roads. I sometimes forget - and take them for granted. Tonight in Kenniwick. Tomorrow home.

Lolo Pass - need I say more?

Big is not always better:
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #184
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
In..great report!
Welcome. . . . let's see . . . a T.V. controller, . . . a souvenir from Niagara Falls . . .
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #185
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
All in... awesome so far !

We had a 90 year old WWII Vet crash his plane nearby the other day. He landed the plane fine then it flipped over at low speed. He got injured AFTER he unhooked his harness and fell out...I hope I can be that much of a man when I am 70 let alone 90

If you want to read about it do a google for 90 year old crash: www.bannergraphic.com ( you can link through from Google)
Hi. Did the link. Thanks. Vernon Bothwell is certainly my kind of people. Chuck Yeager just did another superfast flight also. 43 years since man on moon? We all need hero's. JM
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #186
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,934
Try this:www.alcan5000.com

Check the itinerary and poke around some. Maybe hit that link for the motorcyclist post article if you want to read about the 2006 version. Should be right up yer alley...

It's a route you couldn't do by yourself, so well worth it. Plus it is a competition!

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #187
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last Leg

Last Leg
Fifty degrees and blue skies as I travel past the former motorcycle mecca in the Tri-cities. The outlet had Harleys, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Italian Scooters etc. . . out of business. Drat.
Today I let Tom Tom do his thing. (Why does Tom Tom have a girl's voice?) I noticed after leaving the Dalton Highway that when the Lady said "Turn right." the screen had a left turn arrow. So? I thought, "So what? If all else fails, I will see some new country.
Normally I would head west on I-84. Tom Tom said go east. I went east. That would head us towards John Day country. Good riding area. About twenty miles down the pike, She asks if I would like to take a shorter route She has discovered. Sure. Why not? We zig zag south on a country road and then turn West on Highway 14. O.K. Whatever. Highway 14 parallels I-84, but is on the north side of the Columbia River and the Interstate is on the south side. I can occasionally see I-84. Hwy 14 is a two lane asphalt road in good repair for the first 50 miles. Then I join a group of automobiles trailing along behind a "Pilot" car for the next 32 miles.
Today is Sunday. Road crews don't work on Sundays. There is not a single piece of road working machinery along the 32 miles. There is no sign of any construction. We passed two other "Pilot" cars going in the other direction with their gaggle of cars following. Who ever has the "Pilot" car contract either misread the fine print or the Guv'ment is being ripped off again. Eventually we arrive in Biggs. Biggs is the turn off I-84 to Highway 97 to home. Well I got to see some new country.
We hear reports of Wind Power being a renewable resoure. I am pretty sure it is. It is hard to understand why the (Expensive?) Wind Towers along the Columbia Gorge are all stopped on this day. I am not talking about a few Towers stopped. They were all stopped. The wind was blowing. I am guessing that the towers are about 500 feet apart. . . that makes for 10 towerts per mile - for 52 miles. That's 520 towers. In one line. But there is not a single row of towers. I estimate the band of towers is five miles wide. That puts 50 towers per cross section. . . or a total of 26,000 Wind Towers. Curious. Spendy Sculpture.
I am on a math kick here. Back in Missoula, Jean Smith was talking about her Family farm's new wheat harvester. They run in excess of $250,000.00 each. Takes a bit of wheat to pay for one. That set me to thinking . . . how long does it take to harvest an acre of wheat. Here be de math part. Harvester cuts a 42 foot wide path. If it moves forward at 5 miles per hour - it covers 26,400 feet. Take the length times width to get square footage . . . 26,400 x 42 = 1,108,800 square feet. An acre is 43,560 sq. ft. 1,108,800/43,560 = 25.454545 per hour or one acre harvested every 2.357142899 minutes. Ha! And they said a biker's brain is empty. . . .
I am home. Safe. Covered 8,082 miles in 24 days. 336.75 miles per day average. The bike lost some bolts and nuts and some of its shine. Broke a turn signal. Gained some scratches. The analog thermometer lost its needle. The digital thermometer now reads 18.888PM. Tom Tom is ailing. The rear tire, new on departure lasted 3,750 miles on chip sealed roads. The front tire has a few more miles in it.
I lost about 10 pounds of flab. None of it was replaced with muscles. What use to be "Love Handles" later described as dust flaps are presently gone. Only the wrinkles remain.
Final thought: I can cross Alaska off my "Bucket" List. I was disappointed in Northern Alaska. . . not terribly scenic. . . wait . . . miles and miles of empty . . . tundra . . . scant trees . . . is like the desert or being at sea. At first glance and all we see is the empty. . . it takes awhile to see the ever changing . . . around us. I just got a glance. The T.V. Travel shows focus on the Kenai Peninsula and the southern coast . . . O.K. Denali also . . . for good reason. It is spectacular. The Last Frontier suffers from Mankind Blight. Abandonned buildings , dead equipment lying where it died. Historic? - some is - - - most = trash.
Prices: You decide. Gallon of milk $8.50. Candy Bar $3.50. 1/2 pint Ben & Jerr'y Ice Cream $9.95. Bare rooms = $50.00. Motels were $100.00 up. Hamburger $15.00 average. Cheese add $1.50. Chicken Noodle soup $5.50. Coffee/tea $2.50 to $4.00. Gasoline averaged a bit over $5.00. $6.17 in Dawson City after being trucked for 500 miles = a bargain!
I have more info on touring the West, Bummin' in Baja, Boat Buying in Mexico and more gathering dust. I will take a few days off to get my back glued back together and go from there. Tentative schedule is: after Voting Day - head to Mexico for the Winter. I have never had my boat in the water - bought it sitting in dry storage. Maybe work on plans for heading further south next season.
Thanks to all you readers. You have sure made my day. I checked . . ... .. Even with your atta boys . . . I can't walk on water. John M.
P.S. CALIMUS is the Butte in Winema National Forest where I was a Fire Tower Lookout for 17 summers. Now you know. JM
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #188
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Try this:www.alcan5000.com

Check the itinerary and poke around some. Maybe hit that link for the motorcyclist post article if you want to read about the 2006 version. Should be right up yer alley...

It's a route you couldn't do by yourself, so well worth it. Plus it is a competition!

Wow! Now this is a link! I may be gone for awhile reading. Did you do a writeup? Obviously I haven't done my research. jm
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #189
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
She says the screws are missing. I hoped she meant the frames.
that is some funny stuff, like the way you slip these little nuggets in every now and then
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #190
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
John, thanks for taking us along. I really enjoyed your writing style; quite a bit different than others. We traveled into Alaska this year during May/June in our motorhome/Jeep and sure wished I had a motorcycle along at times.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #191
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 645
John- This has been a helluva good ride report-enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #192
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,148
Fantastic !!!

Thanks for taking the time to do the Ride Report.

What part of Mexico are you planning on visiting?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #193
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Excellent report !

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #194
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
Good job, John. I hope to read more from you.

You stuck with it and got the paragraphs under control.....now how about the bio?
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #195
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
You must be easily impressed and awed. . . Thanks JM
Some would say I am, and they would be correct. Thank you greatly for sharing your travels with us.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote