ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #196
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Fantastic !!!

Thanks for taking the time to do the Ride Report.

What part of Mexico are you planning on visiting?
Last year I went boat shopping for a friend working in China. Scoured the West Coast, Baja, Milwaukee and Brownsville, TX. Never found his boat, but I bought a 36 foot MotorSailer in San Carlos . . . about 12 miles north of Guaymas or 5 hours south of Nogales, AZ. Great small town, beautiful Marinas and a "Hurricane Hole" to boot. Boat will be a floating apartment. No like neighbors - up anchor and sail. Ta DA. . . JM
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #197
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
Alaska Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
John, thanks for taking us along. I really enjoyed your writing style; quite a bit different than others. We traveled into Alaska this year during May/June in our motorhome/Jeep and sure wished I had a motorcycle along at times.
Thank you. There was a day or two when I wished I was in my motorhome. Alaska is a great reason to get out of the home bound ruts and travel. JM
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #198
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
Nuggets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
that is some funny stuff, like the way you slip these little nuggets in every now and then
Nuggets? Friends call it B.S. to a higher order. . . jm
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #199
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
The fire ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
John- This has been a helluva good ride report-enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
That's what fire rings are for. Where you been? Where you going? jm
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #200
etingelefunts
retem-odo
 
etingelefunts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Oddometer: 815
Impressive.
At a total loss for words.
If you are still riding when my journey commences, expect to see a cloud of dust headed your way.

My grandfather, an accomplished carpenter, was still chucking 4x8 sheets of plywood, hammering together custom built cabinets, and building door frames at 88 yrs old.
Seems like riding a few miles along side you (with your permission of course) would remind me old timers are cut from cloth nearly non-existent today.

Yet watching you does admittedly inspire me at least, that 30 years from now, some of us may be talking about calimusjohn around the fire ring, .... worse (or better) still, you may still be around, telling us to get on or bikes and ride
__________________
Less pondering. Simply march ahead, to the ends of this majestic planet.
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #201
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
Bio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Good job, John. I hope to read more from you.

You stuck with it and got the paragraphs under control.....now how about the bio?
Paragraphs under control . . . partly. I tried double spacing - indenting - both. Nada. Still all ran together. Finally tried this technique . . . end paragraph. . . hit enter to move down a line. . . hit period to make a mark . . . hit enter again and start tying. It is the only thing thats worked for me. I am importing articles written on Wordpad. It works O.K., but no spell checker. . . and paragraph formatting disappears. I don't know why.

Bio? Do you mean: Basic info found by clicking on my Avatar.

Other article I have submitted to ADV is: Saddlesore at 73. I would do a link, but your I.Q. has to be a larger number than your age to do that. I fail miserably.

Or: Info found on jail booking sheet? Born 1939- Gary, Indiana. Graduated H.S. 1957. USN 1957 - 1970. . . enlisted - NAVCAD - Commission - Aviator - P5M seaplanes in South China Sea, T-34 Instructor- Pensacola - 3 years - C-130's on skis in Antarctica, Operation Deep Freeze. O.I.C. - S.E.R.E. school at Warner Springs, CA. and then : Sheriff's Dept. San Diego, CA 1971-1991. Sergeant, Patrol, Jail , Aviation Division Bell 47 Helicopters, J-3 Cubs, Search and Rescue Coordinator for So. Cal and Baja California 1974-78. 1976 first M/C/ tour Baja. Quit work - went sailing to Sea of Cortez 1983, Built 50' trimaran 1984 - lived in San Francisco delta country on Tri 1986 - 1987, Piggy bank empty & back to work. 1992 to present @ Wildlife Ranch - Sprague River, OR doing rehab for sick/injured/ orphaned critters. Lots of Bald & Golden Eagles. Now widower - ADV. That's my story in a nutshell.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #202
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
In 30 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Impressive.
At a total loss for words.
If you are still riding when my journey commences, expect to see a cloud of dust headed your way.

My grandfather, an accomplished carpenter, was still chucking 4x8 sheets of plywood, hammering together custom built cabinets, and building door frames at 88 yrs old.
Seems like riding a few miles along side you (with your permission of course) would remind me old timers are cut from cloth nearly non-existent today.

Yet watching you does admittedly inspire me at least, that 30 years from now, some of us may be talking about calimusjohn around the fire ring, .... worse (or better) still, you may still be around, telling us to get on or bikes and ride
Ahem. . . one of my goals . . . to be named in a Paternity Suit . . . when I am 100. 30 years from now, I hope to be chasing you guys to far horizons. Please be careful of dust clouds in my vicinity - it/they may mark my latest fall down go boom spot! jm
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #203
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
calimusjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Sprague River, OR & Salome, AZ
Oddometer: 255
Ride Reports

If you liked my style of report, you should really like the ones written by ALCAN RIDER. His 4 Corners report really motivated me to get moving. I mentioned him back a ways in my report , but couldn't remember his handle. I highly recommend his musings. He even has photos! jm
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #204
etingelefunts
retem-odo
 
etingelefunts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
If you liked my style of report, you should really like the ones written by ALCAN RIDER. His 4 Corners report really motivated me to get moving. I mentioned him back a ways in my report , but couldn't remember his handle. I highly recommend his musings. He even has photos! jm
Will have to look that one up. I have some 4 corners photos in my archives, along with pics of wild horses in the snow, far far from the black top. Been there 3 times, once heading towards Shiprock Mountain overland through the Indian res during winter... after a blue moon.
__________________
Less pondering. Simply march ahead, to the ends of this majestic planet.
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #205
etingelefunts
retem-odo
 
etingelefunts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
....

Or: Info found on jail booking sheet? Born 1939- Gary, Indiana. Graduated H.S. 1957. USN 1957 - 1970. . . enlisted - NAVCAD - Commission - Aviator - P5M seaplanes in South China Sea, T-34 Instructor- Pensacola - 3 years - C-130's on skis in Antarctica, Operation Deep Freeze. O.I.C. - S.E.R.E. school at Warner Springs, CA. and then : Sheriff's Dept. San Diego, CA 1971-1991. Sergeant, Patrol, Jail , Aviation Division Bell 47 Helicopters, J-3 Cubs, Search and Rescue Coordinator for So. Cal and Baja California 1974-78. 1976 first M/C/ tour Baja. Quit work - went sailing to Sea of Cortez 1983, Built 50' trimaran 1984 - lived in San Francisco delta country on Tri 1986 - 1987, Piggy bank empty & back to work. 1992 to present @ Wildlife Ranch - Sprague River, OR doing rehab for sick/injured/ orphaned critters. Lots of Bald & Golden Eagles. Now widower - ADV. That's my story in a nutshell.
There is a 77 year old man named Clyde welding and slinging steel to this day at Comm Structures here in Florida... he is still at it. Chemo therapy smemo-therapy seems to be his mantra. Remission he might suggest, "was inevitable", diligence kills oppression!!.

Your bio invokes wonder. Each snippet magnified becomes another universe of adventure.
Found a shoe box my mom stuffed full of news articles, each chronicling my father's conquests (he is also 77 yrs old). Won't go into them here, but will say this, where you and he have been, and the spark that drives men like these, is the stuff of legend.

If I ever catch that breeze, and sail your way, my father would have me shake your hand, and raise a fist to the face of mediocrity.
__________________
Less pondering. Simply march ahead, to the ends of this majestic planet.
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #206
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer
 
Motorrev's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Texas Panhandle
Oddometer: 53
Ride Report

John,
Thanks for your effort in doing the RR. Really a good report and will be watching for the next one. Have a good winter and take care of yourself........and of course some FUN along the way.
Bob

I used to read ED ABBEY and always thought I would enjoy fire lookout work. Never did it, should have.....
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #207
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...
 
Merfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 831
John, thanks for sharing the RR! At a very young 54 I see I have lots to look forward to, thanks!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #208
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 688
Fire Lookout, huh? Then you and Ed Abbey are two of my heroes.
And, you must know my bud Bob Plumbley.
__________________
"Can't never could."-Grandma Belle Marie Bullock-Shuflin
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #209
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer
 
RockyDS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Canadian Rockies.
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
That's my story in a nutshell.
Not a bad story at that. ;-)

And thanks for sharing your ride - I enjoyed the read.
__________________
Super Ténéré
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #210
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker
 
Blue Mule's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Land of Cheese and Beer
Oddometer: 1,875
Just read your intro...nothing else...so far.

Firstoff- IN!

Next- You My friend...are LIVING your life...and thats what we humans SHOULD do.... sadly many dont.
RIDE ON!!!
__________________
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri
Blue Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014