Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #211
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
]Or: Info found on jail booking sheet? Born 1939- Gary, Indiana. Graduated H.S. 1957. USN 1957 - 1970. . . enlisted - NAVCAD - Commission - Aviator - P5M seaplanes in South China Sea, T-34 Instructor- Pensacola - 3 years - C-130's on skis in Antarctica, Operation Deep Freeze. ..........................................lived in San Francisco delta country on Tri 1986 - 1987, Piggy bank empty & back to work. 1992 to present @ Wildlife Ranch - Sprague River, OR doing rehab for sick/injured/ orphaned critters. Lots of Bald & Golden Eagles. Now widower - ADV. That's my story in a nutshell. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. If you were to expand with a half dozen stories in each of those phases of your life done in your style, you'd have a winner, John.

BTW,

is an HTML tag that initiates a new paragraph, but magically doesn't show up in your writing. How do they do that?

Also I copy and paste my ADVrider prepost writing with picture imbeds into a Blog at Blogspot.com, and then I have a non-ADV version of my story to send to family and friends....or just store my experience.

I think everyone of us has a story in us. I wish I had a life story of my Dad's.....Maybe some grandkid some where will benefit from my BS one day. I know someone would enjoy your story down the road one day.

p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #212
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
BTW,

is an HTML tag that initiates a new paragraph, but magically doesn't show up in your writing. How do they do that?

Ha, the HTML tag that I included just started a new paragraph invisibly.

The tag is a 'less than' p 'more than' or < p > without the spaces.

Let's see if that comes thru.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #213
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Paragraphs under control . . . partly. I tried double spacing - indenting - both. Nada. Still all ran together. Finally tried this technique . . . end paragraph. . . hit enter to move down a line. . . hit period to make a mark . . . hit enter again and start tying. It is the only thing thats worked for me. I am importing articles written on Wordpad. It works O.K., but no spell checker. . . and paragraph formatting disappears. I don't know why.

Bio? Do you mean: Basic info found by clicking on my Avatar.

Other article I have submitted to ADV is: Saddlesore at 73. I would do a link, but your I.Q. has to be a larger number than your age to do that. I fail miserably.

Or: Info found on jail booking sheet? Born 1939- Gary, Indiana. Graduated H.S. 1957. USN 1957 - 1970. . . enlisted - NAVCAD - Commission - Aviator - P5M seaplanes in South China Sea, T-34 Instructor- Pensacola - 3 years - C-130's on skis in Antarctica, Operation Deep Freeze. O.I.C. - S.E.R.E. school at Warner Springs, CA. and then : Sheriff's Dept. San Diego, CA 1971-1991. Sergeant, Patrol, Jail , Aviation Division Bell 47 Helicopters, J-3 Cubs, Search and Rescue Coordinator for So. Cal and Baja California 1974-78. 1976 first M/C/ tour Baja. Quit work - went sailing to Sea of Cortez 1983, Built 50' trimaran 1984 - lived in San Francisco delta country on Tri 1986 - 1987, Piggy bank empty & back to work. 1992 to present @ Wildlife Ranch - Sprague River, OR doing rehab for sick/injured/ orphaned critters. Lots of Bald & Golden Eagles. Now widower - ADV. That's my story in a nutshell.

Pretty interesting life. I'm a little younger but was also an aviator for a time (CW2 Army). I was a scout pilot for 2nd/17th aircav 1969/70. The Hughes OH6A was my fave. After that I raced motorcycles while going to college. My best buddy was a Snake driver and like you; lived on a tri for awhile. I think it was a Piver 42. In fact he's on it now somewhere around Panama. He raced the Alcan5000 with me in 2010. Rode a KLR650. I kept a power boat at Disco Bay, which is probably near where you kept your Tri.

Seriously, you should consider entering the Alcan. It's a hoot. You'd fit right in with the rest of us rascals. 9 days covering about 4500 miles. 2 or 3 timed sections each day. One campout bivouac. They haul our spares and gear. They have sweep trucks for the broken or wounded. Big awards dinner the 9th evening. Then ride back to Seattle to trailer home.

Best bar stool on the planet right here in Valdez AK:
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #214
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
When someone is doubtful as to whether something will happen, or is even worth while, on a daily basis, we are defined as "cynical". It happens when we get old.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #215
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
If you liked my style of report, you should really like the ones written by ALCAN RIDER. His 4 Corners report really motivated me to get moving. I mentioned him back a ways in my report , but couldn't remember his handle. I highly recommend his musings. He even has photos! jm
Hey John,

Thanks for the promo. We 73 year-olds have to stick together, right?

Now I gotta get off my duff and write up my own most recent ride - on the same old Concours that hauled my sorry ass around the country ten years ago hitting the four corners of the U. S..

Keep it coming, my "young" friend.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #216
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
My Evening Rides

The Photographs displayed in "My Evening Rides" are as good as they get. I wonder how many riders that have seen them followed up on their promise to themselves . . . Gotta go see for myself.

They got me moving. I hope other readers take a look and do their own follow up. I know that I will return. John M.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote