Old dudes rock!

Digging the ride report.
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #107
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Cool2 Update

A quickee report. I drove my Smart car towards my 55th High School Reunion in Indiana. I say - Towards - the engine gave up the ghost in Iowa. I am in the process of towing it back to Oregon. Dealer said to fix motor would cost $11,000.00. THey don't do valve jobs or replace rings. . . Interesting. Not bad for a 10 grand car. A Hyabusa may be in the future as a donor engine. . .. Home in a couple more days and then catch up.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #108
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,760
Dang,Im barely out of high school at 55,I can see the importance of keeping moving. I still ride singletrack on my KTM,thrash my 1200 Triumph when the chance permits,just did a 40 miler on my mt bike yesterday,half uphill.
Im liking your story alot and will follow along.
I rode to Alaska and back once but it was too much of a hurry,need to go back and see more stuff.

Thanks so much for all the work on the pics and story! Its truly a great way to show people it can be done at most any age.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I'm still wet behind the ears at 28, and reading your RR has reminded me that I need to see what sort of shenanigans my Grandpa (former Oregon state trooper, retired from Boise Cascade) is up to. You guys in this thread are living proof that age is just a number indicating life experience. BTW, my wife's grandpa is 80 and still rides his Honda CB350 (I think, it's been a couple of years since I was up that way) every few days. 2 wheels keeps you young!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #110
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I am 73 so what

Good to see an older group show up on this net . in 2013 any one of you older folks show up in a ride to Alaska feel free to give me a call if you need any info or a hand .... AK Bike
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #111
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Elder Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Good to see an older group show up on this net . in 2013 any one of you older folks show up in a ride to Alaska feel free to give me a call if you need any info or a hand .... AK Bike
I agree entirely. I have allowed myself to be intimidated by the young and virile . . .. Sharing some of the problems facing more "experienced " riders is important. I was incensed by one thread that said - basically - anyone needing three wheels shouldn't be allowed out of the home. . . etc. I was - at the time - taking my wife of 28 years on the "Last Hurrah" ride on our Trike. I had to belt her in. Five long years of fighting - Stage 4B Lung Cancer - sort of messed her up. She wanted us to have one last great ride together. We went 6,000 miles through 8 Western States before she said, " It's time to go home."
I hope to God that no one else has that experience. . .. But, having said that, Take others opinions and ignore them at will. . . including mine. Do what you feel is right.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #112
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

55 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Dang,Im barely out of high school at 55,I can see the importance of keeping moving. I still ride singletrack on my KTM,thrash my 1200 Triumph when the chance permits,just did a 40 miler on my mt bike yesterday,half uphill.
Im liking your story alot and will follow along.
I rode to Alaska and back once but it was too much of a hurry,need to go back and see more stuff.

Thanks so much for all the work on the pics and story! Its truly a great way to show people it can be done at most any age.
Barely out of high school at 55 - I love it.. Loved the Reunion - except I had to spend all weekend with a bunch of old Farts! I am presently working on a new improved Bucket List - 55 challenges should keep me busy fo a while. Wife & I toured Ireland on bicycles . . . that tour was ALL uphill and upwind!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #113
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Age is ? ? ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
I'm still wet behind the ears at 28, and reading your RR has reminded me that I need to see what sort of shenanigans my Grandpa (former Oregon state trooper, retired from Boise Cascade) is up to. You guys in this thread are living proof that age is just a number indicating life experience. BTW, my wife's grandpa is 80 and still rides his Honda CB350 (I think, it's been a couple of years since I was up that way) every few days. 2 wheels keeps you young!
I have been lucky. I keep meeting young "Thinkers" in older model bodies. I have also met some ancient folks wasting away inside young bodies. We sometimes get hung up on the - Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda's - It's our choice. If we did the safe, sane, responsible things at all times . . . life would be meaningless. I have been called: reckless, crazy, suicidal, childish, irresponsible, stupid, spendthrift, and all of their relatives listed in Roget's . I have been fully qualified at certain times to own each of those titles. But one word(s) never spoken is: Bored or Boring.
Enough B.S. I'm going riding. John M.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #114
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 207
I was born in 1950 and I'm 29 years old. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Get outta the way kiddies. Yer blockin' the road!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #115
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Damn John, what a story man, you evidently are here to show most folks how it should be done and I commend you
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #116
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I do enjoy riding along with you, even if it's only via the ether.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #117
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Home

Home safely. Met Doug Massey riding from Georgia at the Bonneville Salt Flats. He is on a twin of my 650 Vstrom. Plan was for him to spend night here. . . He took a sidetrip to a Fire Opal mine and got delayed. Will arrive tomorrow. We may ride the Crater Lake Rim Road later. R.R. finished soon - I promise. John
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #118
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

John

Glad you had a good trip john. The rim of crater sounds like a plan. don't know if it will happen but hoping to make a trip down the highway during the next summer and
may try to get down your way . glad your trip was successful. Another John.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #119
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

John

Glad you had a good trip john. The rim of crater sounds like a plan. don't know if it will happen but hoping to make a trip down the highway during the next summer and
may try to get down your way . glad your trip was successful. Another John.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #120
DarkHyper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
John

Very inspiring....I`m 50 and been riding street/dirt for 35 years and hope I`m still kickin it at 73 and beyond !