User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
leftfield6 OP
Dog is CoPilot

Oddometer: 108
11 year old tires - I have survived!

Confession time - I have been a cheap bastard this summer. Back last fall I purchased a 2003 Triumph Speed Four for a winter project. It needed some bodywork due to getting knocked over twice in the PO's garage, and then having a ladder fall on it, also in the PO's garage.

So I spent all winter tweaking and doing all the other stuff you do when bringing a bike out of storage (fluids flushed, etc.) Bodywork, new paint, and it looked great.

I had every intention of replacing the tires when spring rolled around. They were (are) the OEM Bridgestones. And when I say OEM, what I really mean is they are the original tires the bike rolled out of the factory with in 2003. Bike only had 3100 miles on it when I bought it last year . But one thing after another kept getting in the way of new tires, taking up my time or money, or time AND money. So, here we are about 1400 miles later, I still am rolling these 11 year old tires.

I know it was stupid to roll these all summer, but they actually look great. No dryrot, no cracking, and have actually had decent traction. Or maybe I've just gotten used to them. I know even though they look great, the rubber has hardened.

I have ordered a brand new set of Pirelli Angel GTs. UPS says they will be here on Tuesday. I will probably be stunned at the grip.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

leftfield6 screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 09:22 PM
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
As long as you have TC, ABS, airbags, drive by wire and led turn signals while wearing a lime green reflective vest and ATGATTTIMTE (all the gear all the time that I mention to everyone) you were safe enough.

Without all of those you could have died.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot fuel injection, but you are alive so you must have had that too.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
leftfield6 OP
Dog is CoPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I forgot fuel injection, but you are alive so you must have had that too.

Actually, I only had fuel injection. Nothing from your first post. I cheated death.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You are the Evil Knievel of the era!

Lots of guys "won't buy/ride" without all that stuff. Don't know anyone who survived the non nanny bike era.... Oh wait, everyone I know survived it!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Pics of speed four not loading.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 156
The older the rubber the better, it matures and becomes more supple. Don't even bother changing to new tyres mate
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
MacMcMacmac
Idiots Avant!

Oddometer: 172
I put a set of 13 year old Pirelli Phantoms I got with a 900 Seca when I resurrected it back in 2000. I proceeded to top-speed test that bike every chance I got. I got 2 summers out of them and never thought twice about it. Looking back, having to break the motor free by dumping the clutch down an on-ramp in a parking garage, and the cocoa coloured oil that I drained out of it, I probably should have been more concerned about something inside the motor letting go more than the tires. Odd, it never leaked or burned a drop of oil, and ran like a champ.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
afriend bought a 89 hawk gt with very low miles. he rode it 100+ miles home on the original tires. he told me he went over 100 mph just for testing

when I broke the bead to change tires ther were numerous cracks on the side wall
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
I smoked cigarettes for 35 years.

I also drank and drove on many occasions back when I drank.

Glad that's over......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
.... and I went to the funeral of one of my then 11 year old son's soccer mates. His dad took him for a ride on his bike. The old rear tyre blew. The kid died.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,372
Did he lay'er down?

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
leftfield6 OP
Dog is CoPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino1 View Post
Pics of speed four not loading.
Okay, I'll pic whore, if that's what you want.

The shop that I had do the paintwork did a fanfuckingtastic job. First the color is the OEM Tangerine, and they did a great job getting the color right. Next they hand-painted the Triumph logos on the tank. Hand painted! He did the old school Triumph logo, which I think is kinda cool. Then multiple layers of clear over everything.

I had removed every piece that needed to be painted and took them to the shop loose. Afterward I managed to get them home and installed without a single scratch.

Since these photos were taken, I've sourced the correct "Speed Four" decals for the rear panels.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #14
leftfield6 OP
Dog is CoPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I smoked cigarettes for 35 years.

I also drank and drove on many occasions back when I drank.

Glad that's over......
When was that? Last night?

Had a buddy whose favorite joke was that he had stopped drinking. Last night. Would usually start again later that day.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Had a buddy whose favorite joke was that he had stopped drinking. Last night. Would usually start again later that day.
A friend of mine said his boss didn't know he drank until he showed up for work sober one morning

leftfield6....The Triumph logos are hand painted? That's beautiful! Sign painting is quickly becoming a lost art.

regarding tires...I'm currently "finishing off" a pair on the 500 Ninja I just bought from my son. I think they're about 7 years old and are showing some age cracks. I don't see myself riding it a whole lot until next spring, but if I decide then to keep it for a while I'll probably replace them. Since I'm snug with a buck, it'll probably be some inexpensive Kenda's or Shinko's though.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote