User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Sniff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
ST vs. GT - The Sprint Dilemma

After long deliberation, I've decided to dive in and get a Triumph Sprint. I've been riding a Bandit 1250s for a while, and loving it, but I didn't have the ABS version, and with more and more riding (I have a 100 mile round-trip commute) and cooler, wetter weather on the horizon, we opted to trade in.

I walked in to the dealer planning to haggle on a leftover 2011 Sprint GT, but found a 2008 Sprint ST with 13k on the floor for a whole lot cheaper. The ST looks well cared for, and has the higher windscreen already attached... So I plopped down a deposit on the used bike and left the GT to another lucky soul.

I pick up the bike on Wednesday. Did I make a mistake?

Background: I'm 5' 11" roughly 195lbs and the ST didn't feel much more cramped than my Bandit. I want the GT headlights, the nicer bags, and the 'refinement' but I just can't justify another 4.5 grand... My commute is all 65-75 mph interstate, occasionally with awful traffic... Am I crazy? School me.

Previous bikes are a Sportster, an R1150RT, a 919, and my Bandit...
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 851
Nah -
You did good. I put 10K on a ST before I sold it. Amazing bike. You can easily upgrade the headlights to HID's.
The 1050 triple is one of the best engines ever made for a bike. The GT is nice, but it just doesn't look right to me, its too long or something. You'll enjoy the Sprint just as much, and you saved yourself a ton of cash. 60-75 mph is the sweet spot for cruising on that bike. It will do waaay over 100 if you choose to. At 5"11 you're tall enough for it, its a little top-heavy but not hard to ride it traffic. I never had mine overheat. I should have kept it.... sigh....

Enjoy.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
The Sprint ST 1050 is a keeper. The only comfort changes I made to my red 08 were a Corbin saddle and MFW adjustable footpegs.
The GT is a nice bike, as are the older pre-2005 Sprint ST 955's. My other bikes are an Aprilia Falco and a ZX-14R.

Enjoy, Tom

2008 and 2005 Sprint ST's.

Yostwerks screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 05:36 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,368
I would say there are lots of bikes of that era around for a lot less. Like half. You need to shop around.

I had a 1050 Sprint ST, the engine's great, the bike just didn't fit my riding that well.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
I would say there are lots of bikes of that era around for a lot less. Like half. You need to shop around.
SR1 makes a very good point ... An 08 Sprint should cost less than you're being quoted. Go to the Sprint forum for more info on both bikes and on price.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/ - Sprint forum

Tom
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Sniff OP
Adventurer

Thanks SR1 and Yostwerks - that's super helpful. I'm going to give a call down to the shop on Monday and try to talk them down some. After snooping around online I wondered why they were $1200 OVER kbb excellent retail

This is why I love this forum... Keep the comments coming!

Also, if anyone has comments on what to do about the headlight issue, bring it on. I'm thinking maybe some Twisted Throttle Denali lights rather than messing with an HID conversion. But then, I haven't even gotten to see how bad the headlights are yet, so I'm probably getting ahead of myself...

If they won't drop on the ST, I may just jump for the GT...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
SR1
In Western NC

I am just gonna say "no."

Seriously.

Do you NEED to spend $13k for some reason?

In '06 I bought my '05 for about $6800. Nearly half price.

I sold it with 34k miles for the price of a WR250X. (trade actually) that's including some rash I created, but with new Race-Tech front and Ohlins rear, and Hayabusa brakes.

So, to say Sprints depreciate quickly is a VAAAAST understatement.

To add, they don't turn over well on the used market. Many are on the sale block for a loooong time. Reason? Not because the bike is "bad" but because the genre became uncool. "ADV" bikes are now the new hotness, just like sport-tourers were about 10 years ago.

The headlights on Sprints are not going to be significantly improved by internals. It is due to the shape of the reflectors themselves. You can see when you are going straight, but when you turn, no lights (the moon-shaped beam does not extend "into" the curve at all).

So, at risk of just pissing you off 'cause you want new, I looked around just a few minutes and found these:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806959

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,73680.0.html

Note the comments on the Sport-touring thread. Lots of "this bike is hard to move" comments.

So, be realistic. Do you really want to buy a bike that very shortly loses half it's value and won't move anyway? Do yourself a favor and get one with < 10k miles and about $6-7k and pocket the rest, or, put a decent suspension on it, decent brakes, and LOVE it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
SR1
In Western NC

So much for that, he didn't come back to read it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Sniff OP
Adventurer

I'm paying attention!

No, SR1 - I am back to read it (just a little late). I appreciate your thoughts, and am taking them into consideration.

I'm definitely NOT getting the $8k used Sprint (thanks to your advice). I'm still considering the new GT...

So here's my honest dilemma: I hate buying used. I've bought two bikes used and regretted both - on '02 1150RT and my Bandit. Both great bikes, but both had issues I couldn't see prior to buying (one had broken stuff under the dash...).

I want a new bike. If I'm going to put 40k miles on it in two years, I want a new one - and I can afford it for once.

There doesn't seem to be anything like the Sprint out there new... I can't find a new VFR1200 (and probably couldn't afford it, they're more pricey) and the lovely new K1300S at the local dealer is out of my price range as well. I'm at the top of my price range, so a C14 is kind of out (besides being a bit heavy and un-sporting for my tastes...).

I was thinking about getting a Tiger 800 (road version) instead, but I kinda want the fairing... I could also spring for the Tiger 1050 SE, but now we're pretty far from my full-fairing road ride...

Confused.

Please go ahead and try to piss me off. I'm thick skinned and don't want to regret my decision. But when the GT is the bike I really want...and there's not a good competitor in sight (not at the price point anyways)...and the dealer is giving me a reasonable trade-in allotment for my Bandit...

...thanks for at least taking the time to put your thoughts out there.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Sniff OP
Adventurer

Okay, so you have a point...

...that bike in AL is SWEET. PM'd - but how will I get it home...maybe I'll have to ride :-).
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
easy_rider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Have you considered the BMW F800ST? Touring bike with luggage, get's decent mileage. Also, what's wrong with a bandit? Why not get the new one, also has a full fairing and can get luggage and lot's of aftermarket add-ons available?
easy_rider_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Even if you encounter an issue, you're likely to come out ahead financially on a used bike.

Obviously time and suffering are a factor, but as long as you shake it down nothing should surprise you on a trip.

Even new bikes can (and often do) have problems, it's just not on your dime to get them sorted.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Dazart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've got a GSX1250FA- fairing, abs, saddlebags and hardware came as a special deal for $200 on top of new price of $8995. Had it for a year. Great bike, (you know the bandit motor), seems to meet your specs, might be able to get a good deal on one. Great English video on you tube comparing it favorably to Sprint GT and K1300.
Dazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,537
Will you be riding the ST, wishing you had instead bought a new GT?

If so, then skip the ST and go straight to the GT.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
SR1
In Western NC

I don't think 40, or even 50k on a Sprint is asking too much at all. There are several (probably many by now) recorded instances of the bikes going over 100k with the original engine. The parts that degrade are of of course suspension, seat, and plastics and electrics that get exposed to inclement weather.

I personally would not hesitate on a used bike of 8k miles or less if the price were right.