User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Blader54 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
cable TV cutting out

The missus has had a cable box on the kitchen counter with a little TV on top for a long time and it worked fine. Then we had some "experts" hang a slightly bigger TV on the wall and stash the cable box on a shelf in the little pantry. Works great EXCEPT when you flip the pantry light switch it cuts out the tv for a second or so. Also does it sometimes with some switches on another wall close to the TV. The "experts" say they are stumped and they've never seen this before. Has to have something to with moving the box, doesn't it? I thought so but when I unplugged the cable from the back of the tv and flipped the pantry light switch it made the tv screen (set to "menu" cause no tv input coming in) get BRIGHTER for a second and then go back to normal. I was thinking there was some kind of interference with the signal from the cable box to the TV but now not so sure. Any suggestions on how to fix this (that don't involve a hammer or a 12 ga [it may come to that...I'll let you know if it does...with photos!])? It's just a minor annoyance, true, but it just gets under my saddle at how inexpert most experts are these days.
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Is the new TV plugged into the same outlet as the old TV?

Try plugging the old TV back in with the box in its new location.

Either one of two things, from where I'm sitting:

1) someone added a new outlet and there's some sort of electrical interference.

2) the new TV is sensitive to an existing electrical interference that the old TV wasn't sensitive too...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,293
Sounds like you have developed a problem with the electrical in the house, or the new TV has a draw problem. As in drawing too much current or it has a power supplty problem that is getting interference from the wall outlet, like it has a bad capacitor in its power supply. I'd take the new TV back and get a replacement and Ill bet your problem goes away. Oh, and never again think that anyone who installs cable is an "expert" in well, anything.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Blader54 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Thanks! Good suggestions. In fact, the TV is plugged into a new outlet...one that the "experts" put in. They moved the old outlet a couple of feet but I still think I can reach it with the tV power cord. I'm gonna try that. And re-test. We've replace the tv itself twice now but the problem is still there. I'll report back on the experiment later, and thanks again for taking the time to help out, as it's a pain in the butt at times.
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Oh, and never again think that anyone who installs cable is an "expert" in well, anything.
The freaking installers that came to work on my recent remodel were classic!

I was at work. Told my girlfriend to ask for bulkhead adapters on the coverplates so there wasn't co-ax hanging out.

Installer had never heard of a bulkhead adapter.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
The freaking installers that came to work on my recent remodel were classic!

I was at work. Told my girlfriend to ask for bulkhead adapters on the coverplates so there wasn't co-ax hanging out.

Installer had never heard of a bulkhead adapter.

That IS an older term, they call them Panel Mount connectors now....but YEAH man, I hear ya for sure. All the supposed PROFESSIONALS I have to deal with now in the television or video departments are all IT guys who know NOTHING about video at all anymore.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Thanks! Good suggestions. In fact, the TV is plugged into a new outlet...one that the "experts" put in. They moved the old outlet a couple of feet but I still think I can reach it with the tV power cord. I'm gonna try that. And re-test. We've replace the tv itself twice now but the problem is still there. I'll report back on the experiment later, and thanks again for taking the time to help out, as it's a pain in the butt at times.
They swapped the hot and nuetral on the outlet then me finks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: