Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
You should get what fits your needs. I'm pretty much the anomaly as I have nice bodies with basic lenses but that is due largely to physical restrictions like I can't hold a 70-200 VR, so I have a 70-210 F4.

The build quality will be pretty much the same so they are equally rugged.

Image quality for your uses will be very similar, a little more dynamic range and maybe a stop more high ISO with the D600....though the AF isn't as useful which is your trade off. And the price is twice as much which could get you 1-2 nice lenses.

What lenses do you use most? And can you list all the ones you own? Coming from a D90 your lenses will be a different equivalent focal length on FX, and some wont work except in a crop mode where you will have lower resolution than the D7000.
I have a 35mm, a 50mm and an 18-200mm. The 50 pretty much stays at home... I have been thinking also of an upgrade to the zoom... For sure, I would need to get something if I went with the D600

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I have a 35mm, a 50mm and an 18-200mm. The 50 pretty much stays at home... I have been thinking also of an upgrade to the zoom... For sure, I would need to get something if I went with the D600
is that the 35mm F1.8? If so only your 50mm would work properly on the D600, so add in either a super zoom, or 2 zooms covering smaller ranges.

To equal your current kit with with an FX one you'll need:
D600 $2,100
85 1.8 $450 (which will be very similar to your 50, and the 50 will be like your 35)
28-300 VR $1,050

So in total it's 3,600, while the D7000 is only 1,000 dollars and your end result will be a very similar camera system in its abilities.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
is that the 35mm F1.8? If so only your 50mm would work properly on the D600, so add in either a super zoom, or 2 zooms covering smaller ranges.

D600 $2,100
85 1.8 $450 (which will be very similar to your 50, and the 50 will be like your 35)
28-300 VR $1,050

So in total it's 3,600, while the D7000 is only 1,000 dollars and your end result will be a very similar camera system in its abilities.
Hang on, it looks like you're saving me money! That's not how things work here in Shiny Things!

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:

D600 $2,100
28-300 VR $1,050

Don't know about the op, but you've managed to sell me on a new 7000 body.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Hang on, it looks like you're saving me money! That's not how things work here in Shiny Things!
No problem, if I was in your shoes the only reason I'd consider going to the D600/FX is if I was going to spend a few thousand dollars on high end lenses. With your kit as long as the 18-200's quality is acceptable for telephoto work I'd just grab a fast standard zoom like the 17-50 F2.8 Tamron. And go for the non-VR version since it's supposed to have sharper optics.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._XR_Di_II.html

After a mail in rebate it's only 425 bucks right now. The drawback is the AF isn't too fast but I have a similar lens (the 28-75 2.8) and even with that I love it. The 17-50 is supposed to be just as sharp which means that the optics are right up there with top of the line Nikon lenses.

If you want a better telephoto or something wider you can get either for 500-600 bucks and your total price is less than just the D600 body and your system will be a lot nicer.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Mav OP
Something witty...

I actually feel like the 18-200 frequently isn't that sharp... Wondering about maybe the 24-120 f4...

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I actually feel like the 18-200 frequently isn't that sharp... Wondering about maybe the 24-120 f4...
That's a nice lens.....but expensive and it wont go that wide on a DX camera.

But if you want to go to FX someday that and a used Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 (Don't buy one for a few months...cause they are kinda rare and I'm trying to get one! ) to cover your wide end would work. That lens is only ~250 dollars, and will be a nice way to try out ultra wide if you do end up moving to FX. But if you do really like that you'll want the Nikon 16-35 VR which is another ~1,100....this gets expensive fast

Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
That's a nice lens.....but expensive and it wont go that wide on a DX camera.

But if you want to go to FX someday that and a used Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 (Don't buy one for a few months...cause they are kinda rare and I'm trying to get one! ) to cover your wide end would work. That lens is only ~250 dollars, and will be a nice way to try out ultra wide if you do end up moving to FX. But if you do really like that you'll want the Nikon 16-35 VR which is another ~1,100....this gets expensive fast
I'm trying to ignore the fact that you are leading me back down the expensive route!

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I'm trying to ignore the fact that you are leading me back down the expensive route!
You don't want to see my wish list

Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Don't know about the op, but you've managed to sell me on a new 7000 body.
Lyle
It's a great choice, the dynamic range is supposed to be killer. And if you have any questions about lenses feel free to ask, I need to jump into DX research anyways to look at some options for my S5 Pro.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Mav OP
Something witty...

Just had a quick play with a D7000 in the duty free store here at the airport - it really is very nice: light, fast and, as N&V says, great AF coverage of the viewfinder. A quick scan through the menus show's there a heap of functionality to play with that makes the D90 look like a toy!

The rear LCD made it hard to judge the noise on the images... but it's not going to be any worse than my D90! At less than half the price of the D600, it's a pretty compelling proposition.

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Just had a quick play with a D7000 in the duty free store here at the airport - it really is very nice: light, fast and, as N&V says, great AF coverage of the viewfinder. A quick scan through the menus show's there a heap of functionality to play with that makes the D90 look like a toy!

The rear LCD made it hard to judge the noise on the images... but it's not going to be any worse than my D90! At less than half the price of the D600, it's a pretty compelling proposition.
That kind of AF will spoil you quickly, going back to the old 12 point on the S5 from my 51 on the D700 feels extremely limiting, and to think just in 2008 I was amazed at having 12 whole AF points over my D50's 5!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,106
I also have a D90 and like many camera owners day dream about a new camera rig. But for the cost of BUYING a new camera rig.... my D90 takes pretty dammed good pictures.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
It's a great choice, the dynamic range is supposed to be killer. And if you have any questions about lenses feel free to ask, I need to jump into DX research anyways to look at some options for my S5 Pro.
I've got a Sigma 18-200, 10-20, a Nikon 35 1.8. so m ost of my bases are covered for what I do.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,040
Quote:
With you on that one... not real impressed with the sharpenss on my 18-200 with my D90. Picked up a 12-24 and it's night-and-day difference in image quality between the two from 18 to 24mm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: