Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #31
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
With you on that one... not real impressed with the sharpenss on my 18-200 with my D90. Picked up a 12-24 and it's night-and-day difference in image quality between the two from 18 to 24mm.
I really like both my Sigmas. The 18-200 and the 10-20, although the 10-20 spends much time in the bag. The 18-200 is my go to lens.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #32
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I really like both my Sigmas. The 18-200 and the 10-20, although the 10-20 spends much time in the bag. The 18-200 is my go to lens.
Lyle
An 18-200 even done right will have a lot of compromises, getting a sharp F2.8 zoom lens (which using tamron or sigma) will make your camera's sensor seem like its been upgraded. Good glass can work magic, on my Olympus E-620 I never really liked the output of the 12MP sensor S the 10 of my E-420 but when I used my 9-18 & later 14-54 the results just popped!

I love Tamron's for quality, the AF is a bit slow but many of their lenses are as sharp as the Nikon equivalent that costs 4 times as much. Sigma's on average for zooms have much faster AF but the image isn't is as sharp, but this isn't a constant so always research em).

The Tamron 17-50 would be a good option and they are ~400 USD new.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 11:20 AM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
OK, I was looking pretty set on the D7k... then I saw this ISO comparison with a D700 for the D600: http://fotospekter.si/nikon-d700-in-...el-primerjave/

Check out this 25600 ISO comparison with the D700: http://fotospekter.si/wp-content/upl...5600-NR-ON.jpg

And this one without NR switched on: http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/up...600-NR-OFF.jpg

To my untrained eye, the D600 is looking pretty damned good compared to the D700... and everyone raved about the D700.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
OK, I was looking pretty set on the D7k... then I saw this ISO comparison with a D700 for the D600: http://fotospekter.si/nikon-d700-in-...el-primerjave/

Check out this 25600 ISO comparison with the D700: http://fotospekter.si/wp-content/upl...5600-NR-ON.jpg

And this one without NR switched on: http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/up...600-NR-OFF.jpg

To my untrained eye, the D600 is looking pretty damned good compared to the D700... and everyone raved about the D700.
They should have down sampled the images to the same size. And used the same RAW conversion, since they have NR on/off these are JPEGS. But based on this it looks like the D600 has a nice edge.

My bigger question is does the D600 get banding like the D700 at ISO 25,600. Even with that issue I have to say the D700 is crazy and I've been taking images at 12,800-25,600 ISO lately though with the noise you see B&W is needed.

But I guess this brings the issue, are you willing to pay over double the price for a camera with less AF coverage but 1.5-2 more stops high ISO? Remember with a D7000 and a fast zoom or 2 you'd be able to shoot in 2-4 stops worth of lower light levels already over the D90 and the 18-200.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #36
CrashBar
Just Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 134
I might finally upgrade

I might finally upgrade, I need to replace my F2 and Nikomat FTn . I've been waiting for something full frame, not the size of a RB67, and would let me focus my 25-50 F4, 50-300 4.5 ED, and 85 1.8 -C. Peeping through the finder of a DX just never worked for me. And other than the 17-35 2.8 I never found any AF that hit the same sweet spot as those lenses. Assuming the D600 has a decent sized finder and can take a real focusing screen, it might be time.

Still going to keep shooting Tri-X in my M6 hell freezes over, however.

1993 K1100 LT (132,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T
CrashBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:

You suck for posting that!

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. I've been working in low light so much that seeing the D600 and knowing the D800's capabilities it's making me really want one. But I'm going to be responsible and take my own advice...next up is a 2.8 lens (to replace my F4) and a monopod.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashBar View Post
I might finally upgrade, I need to replace my F2 and Nikomat FTn . I've been waiting for something full frame, not the size of a RB67, and would let me focus my 25-50 F4, 50-300 4.5 ED, and 85 1.8 -C. Peeping through the finder of a DX just never worked for me. And other than the 17-35 2.8 I never found any AF that hit the same sweet spot as those lenses. Assuming the D600 has a decent sized finder and can take a real focusing screen, it might be time.

Still going to keep shooting Tri-X in my M6 hell freezes over, however.
Replace? Keep em! I still use my FE!

It will have a nice sized finder, it's .7x VS .72x on my D700 so that's no worry for you. There are replacement screens for the D7000 so it should be an aftermarket option.

Also there is a focus confirmation part to the bottom LCD display, with the 51 points of the D700's AF it's nice to have that flexibility. It basically tells you when you go off in either direction and gives you a dot for confirmed focus. I've had really good luck with it shooting concerts. Otherwise, for just standard photos pop it into center weighted, use exposure compensation, shoot RAW and it'll be a pretty easy transition. Just be ready to forget what you know about ISO's, 25,600 on my D700 is cleaner than TMAX 3200.

D700

TMAX 3200

Here's the full D700 image:

Looking at more D600 images you're going to need to still go B&W cause of the color noise but the "grain" should be a good bit finer.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:08 AM
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
You suck for posting that!

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. I've been working in low light so much that seeing the D600 and knowing the D800's capabilities it's making me really want one. But I'm going to be responsible and take my own advice...next up is a 2.8 lens (to replace my F4) and a monopod.
Well it seems only fair

Here's another hi iso shot, 25600: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6617486...7631557088349/

Check out the detail on the guys rucksack strap!

Alternatively - B&H have some second Nikkor 17-55 2.8 lenses for a little under $1k... so for the price of a D600 I could get a D7k and a nice 2.8 lens... Decisions, decisions!

Doesn't help that when I suggested to Mavette that I get the cheaper camera, she asked "Why?" and suggested I get the more expensive!

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Well it seems only fair

Here's another hi iso shot, 25600: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6617486...7631557088349/

Check out the detail on the guys rucksack strap!

Alternatively - B&H have some second Nikkor 17-55 2.8 lenses for a little under $1k... so for the price of a D600 I could get a D7k and a nice 2.8 lens... Decisions, decisions!

Doesn't help that when I suggested to Mavette that I get the cheaper camera, she asked "Why?" and suggested I get the more expensive!
In that case, D600 and Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Nikkor 85 1.8, and a 70-200 F2.8 which one depends on what's left in the budget and if you are doing more static subject or are willing to sacrifice quality a little bit for fast AF.

Just a quick note though, before the 70-200 you're already over 3k.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #41
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
It looks like I'm going to sell off my Pentax DSLRS and pick up the D600. I've been waiting on Pentax to make their own full frame, but I am growing tired of waiting.

I shoot with fully manual primes exclusively and never use flash, so the (slight) shortcomings of the D600 will not bother me in the slightest. That dynamic range and color bit depth though will REALLY work well for me since I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife.

I'll probably wait a few months to sell off my gear and move to Nikon. Hopefully in that time the price will drop a little. I'll have my new Nex 5n to help tide me over until the switch anyway.

My ONLY concern is that I shoot with M42 glass and to mount M42 to a Nikon body I have to use an optical element in the adapter. But I've seen many reviews, tests, and pictures that show that the optical element in a good adapter does not affect IQ in the slightest.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #42
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Picking up as much on this thread as I do over at Dgrin! Great thread guys.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #43
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Well, it's my birthday today, so with that in mind, and a good excuse, I went ahead and ordered the D600 from B&H. I should have it in my hands Tuesday, just in time for my Yellowstone trip starting Thursday.

I was going to wait for more reviews, but I REALLY wanted this camera for the Yellowstone trip.

Right now I'll be using my Takumars with an adapter (I know there is a glass element in the adapter, but the Bower adapter has had excellent reviews). Once my bank account heals, I'll start saving for a couple of native Nikon mount lenses.

I really can't wait for it to arrive. I've never shot full frame before, except on film. Shooting with an uncropped sensor is going to be a very different experience.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #44
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
Well, it's my birthday today, so with that in mind, and a good excuse, I went ahead and ordered the D600 from B&H. I should have it in my hands Tuesday, just in time for my Yellowstone trip starting Thursday.

I was going to wait for more reviews, but I REALLY wanted this camera for the Yellowstone trip.

Right now I'll be using my Takumars with an adapter (I know there is a glass element in the adapter, but the Bower adapter has had excellent reviews). Once my bank account heals, I'll start saving for a couple of native Nikon mount lenses.

I really can't wait for it to arrive. I've never shot full frame before, except on film. Shooting with an uncropped sensor is going to be a very different experience.
MF Nikon primes are pretty cheap, 100-250.

Also UK and Euro prices have gone down already, maybe there's a chance for this to come close to my 1,500 mark....1,800 is enough. Man we get spoiled so fast, just a year ago the D3x would have been amazing, and now there's a camera with a sensor that's even better and the first thought is oh it's no D800.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 10:58 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #45
Mav OP
Something witty...

I went shopping last night - I ended up going with the D7K. The hi ISO performance still seems very good but the main reasons for choosing it over the D600 are that it would require me buying new lenses and how much smaller the AF coverage is...

Looking forward to learning all about it and working out what lenses to get with the money I didn't spend!

All the gear.. no idea!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: