User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
drdubb OP
OFWG

Oddometer: 340
NC to Utah

I've been thinking about a trip to Colorado and Utah. This post is a kernal of the beginning of a plan to execute this trip.
I'm planning about 14-16 days, second half of June '13.
I'll be riding a 1995 Honda Nighthawk. Bike currently has about 25 K miles.
I will be camping most of the way. I'm a retired teacher and money is an issue.
The goal is to ride some fun roads and see a part of the country that I've not experienced.
I've laid out a preliminary route, but I'm not wedded to it.
I like to stop and take pics, visit with folks and generally take a mellow approach.

I'm wondering how many miles I can cover per day once I'm out west. Most of the days are between 250 - 300. Sounds like a lot once I'm in the hills. When I was on the BRP, 200 miles was a lot in one day, but the speed limit was 45.
'71 SL 350 - Honda

drdubb screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 03:27 PM
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
drdubb OP
OFWG

Map to Colorado/Utah from NC

Let's see if this works

'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Let's see if this works

We kinda got the idea. In UT ride Hwy 12, visit Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Moab. If you get these major sites covered, you'll be a happy camper!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,663
That is a can't go wrong ride. I am headed up to part of your route in a couple of days. Awesome area.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
drdubb OP
OFWG

Camping.

I'd love to get some ideas for campgrounds, places to eat. I'm flying blind.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,731
Quote:
I'd love to get some ideas for campgrounds, places to eat. I'm flying blind.
Try the Tent Space map and see if other inmates will put you up in exchange for cool travel stories.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,871
Try to work in Monument Valley. Valley of the Gods is nearby. Mokey Dugway is a cool bit of road beside VoG.

Your route into Moab is good. There is a road into the mts thru Castle Valley. It circles Moab with some nice views. As I remember, In the mts, few gravel spots on an old paved road. Very scenic.

Lots of space to rough camp along the roads. I just try to get out of sight of beer drinking teenagers. Where hwy 95 crosses the river is a big wide spot. An outstanding view from Bears Ears. There is a nice spot on 163, just on the north edge of Mon Valley, used by the Navajo to sell stuff. On a little rise with a great morning view. Cisco is a good place to stop.

No eateries, along your route, are memorable, to me.

300 mi a day is my average. I am not an iron butt rider, but (ha ha ha), I do ride till dark. In summer there is up to 16-17 hrs of daylight. I'm up by 5am and ride till 9pm. Even riding slow you can make some miles.

I figure a full day for Nat Parks, but some of the Utah parks can be seen in a few hrs. I've done one in 30 minutes. Some are more hiking oriented than viewed from the road.

thetourist screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 09:08 AM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
I like to stop and take pics, visit with folks and generally take a mellow approach.

I'm wondering how many miles I can cover per day once I'm out west. Most of the days are between 250 - 300. Sounds like a lot once I'm in the hills. When I was on the BRP, 200 miles was a lot in one day, but the speed limit was 45.
The 250-300 sounds like fair numbers given the route and a mellow approach. I highly recommend a camelbak strapped to the bike... or something to hold 2 litres of water to sip on throughout the day.

Just a thought on taking it in:
Much of your UT route is my backyard so to speak. It's easy to get caught up in exploring the scenery off the bike. A lot of fun, really.

Most riders coming through miss the real gems on their quest to log miles. Consider putting the tent down in one spot for 2 or 3 nights. Then explore north from your campground one day, west the next day, etc. That way you'll get the views and points of interest twice and from different perspectives. It would work especially well traveling UT 12.

Fire me a PM when your plans or destinations get a little more defined. I can probably save you time locating the least expensive or free camping, be it primitive type or with showers. Keywords: least expensive.

Safe travels.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Does it have to be June? Weather in Colorado can get quite sketchy. My first time though in late August I was totally unprepared and had to buy better gear in the middle of my trip from San Diego to Glacier Nat'l park. I did that trip on an old GS1100E and averaged 300-400 miles per day.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
drdubb OP
OFWG

the tourist, two shots, jon6.0; Thanks for the input.

More background....I'm a born again rider, did so as a teenager and just started back three years ago. I intend to migrate into dual sports next year. I've not taken long trips. I did about 1800 miles this spring doing the Natchez Trace. This trip out west will be a big leap.

I'm working part time in a school, last day June 11 and I'd like to be back before the 4th.

I've got pretty good gear, I've got both a First Gear Kathmandu and Kilamanjaro Jackets with pants. 15 degree sleeping bag.

Good tip on the camelback. One of my jackets has one, but I think I would prefer a bag on the bike.

I like the idea of camping in a spot and heading out in various directions. That's usually what I do when I go up to the Appalachians. Reduces lost time due to packing up every morning. I'd love suggestions on good central spots.

My original route came from an article in rider magazine. I prefer local knowledge. I'm heading up to our mountains next weekend and a local dual sport rider from the area is going to show me the "good" roads.

Not a beamer, but has been a great motorcycle so far.

'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
drdubb OP
OFWG

Adjusted Route

How about these changes? That makes the trip 16-18 days without an off day.

'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
from my experience when you are in the twisties, 250-300 is plenty, but while crossing the plains you will not find 400-500 all that difficult.

However, do not use the freeways to cross the plains. It is mind numbing horrible experience. You can still make great time of the backroads through Kansas and Oklahoma and you will enjoy it much more on the side roads.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Question

Quote:
I like the idea of camping in a spot and heading out in various directions. That's usually what I do when I go up to the Appalachians. Reduces lost time due to packing up every morning. I'd love suggestions on good central spots.
I can work up a short list. What's your preference: primitive camping or something with showers with food close by?
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
drdubb OP
OFWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots View Post
I can work up a short list. What's your preference: primitive camping or something with showers with food close by?
I gotta have my shower. I plan on bringing cooking gear, but will also check out interesting eateries.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
drdubb OP
OFWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
from my experience when you are in the twisties, 250-300 is plenty, but while crossing the plains you will not find 400-500 all that difficult.

However, do not use the freeways to cross the plains. It is mind numbing horrible experience. You can still make great time of the backroads through Kansas and Oklahoma and you will enjoy it much more on the side roads.

Good suggestion. A few hours of slab work and I'm done. I'll start studying the maps.

Its about 1800 miles out, so a good 3600 miles of interstate. I'm thinking three days out, three days back with 8-10 days putzing around.
'71 SL 350 - Honda