Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Wanley OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello, oppinions on this rig?

Hello,
I want to buy my first sidecar, I need some help. What do you think about these rigs, abot the rig itself and the price asked.
1. 2007 Victory 8 Ball with a Hannigan sidecar. The bids start at 10.000 with a reserve. I have seen this bike on Craigslist for 12.000$.
Waht do you think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victory-8-Ba...US_motorcycles

2 HD Electra Glide Ultra 2003 with HD sidecar. Asking 19.500$.
This looks gorgeous. What would be a reasonable price?

I want a rig for local daily riding, no long road trips.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Wanley screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 06:04 PM
Wanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,120
The HD looks a lot better, but the Victory will pull that sidecar much better. I'm intimately familiar with the Twin Cam 88 Harley engine, and it doesn't impress me. I'm on vacation in OK right now staring at one of the countless engines that suffered a catastrophic failure due to the cam chain tensioner. Before I sunk the money into that Harley, I'd want to see some maintenance records.

The Victory engine is a great engine, but the Hannigan just looks out of place on it.

For around town work, have you thought about a smaller rig like a Ural or a BMW? I have a Triumph Bonneville rig that is fantastic around town, and more than capable of long trips.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #3
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Unless you like a LOT of maintenance go with a BMW or the Triumph.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #4
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanley View Post
Hello,
...I want a rig for local daily riding, no long road trips....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
... For around town work, have you thought about a smaller rig like a Ural or a BMW? I have a Triumph Bonneville rig that is fantastic around town, and more than capable of long trips.
Wanley, for local daily riding I second the suggestion for a smaller rig. My former Sportster/Texas Ranger rig was similar size to the Bonneville rigs and was great for local day rides as well as trips, generally not-more-than-300 mile days. I've owned both larger & smaller rigs, and seem to enjoy the smaller rigs more. I do recommend appropriate steering modifications for light steering effort.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #5
Wanley OP
n00b

Thanks.
The Harley has around 5000 miles, so new tires are in order.
I just arrived here from Venezuela, I had an EVO over there, quite problematic, leaks and a bent valve once. I have never driven a Twincam, is it that bad?
I saw one like this one in the Daytona dealership and in person it is a beauty, red and black, the price is very high.

As for the Victory I don't like the sidecar too much. Too enclosed, I want an open sidecar. In stop and go traffic in Miami the passenger would probably melt in there. It has 1200 miles.

I have seen a Triumph Bonneville with a Cozy for sale. Bike gorgeous, sidecar a toy that looks too fragile.

There is a BMW in Jacksonville with a Hannigan 2 seater. HUGE, and it is also enclosed. craigslist

Hard to decide. Most good looking bikes are far from here.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #6
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,120
The Cozy is actually a good sidecar. Far from fragile. Just a thought, if going in at $20k doesn't scare you, then you should talk to Claude Stanley Motorsports or Jay at DMC sidecars. Both build great rigs, and for well under $20k you could have a rig built around a used Bonnie. The Bonneville truly is a great tug.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #7
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 324
Get the Harley in my biased opinion. Evo's are great motors and normally require little maintenance every brand has some problems with an ocaissional motor failure the Evo normally has a very good track record. The early Twin Cam had cam bearing and timing chain issures the later ones were sorted out and are reliable. I hacked my 01 FLH Twin Cam recently after it has served me well for 50,000 miles. All that low RPM torque available makes it a great tug for pottering around town as well highway travel.

There's a wonderful history to Harley sidecar rigs that stretch's back to the turn of the last century..........way before HD owners started dressing like pirates. Put the stigma or mystique (how ever you view it) aside and you've got one great combo for the road. I can't begin to tell just how practical and fun my Harley sidecar rig is!
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #8
Wanley OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Get the Harley in my biased opinion. Evo's are great motors and normally require little maintenance every brand has some problems with an ocaissional motor failure the Evo normally has a very good track record. The early Twin Cam had cam bearing and timing chain issures the later ones were sorted out and are reliable. I hacked my 01 FLH Twin Cam recently after it has served me well for 50,000 miles. All that low RPM torque available makes it a great tug for pottering around town as well highway travel.

There's a wonderful history to Harley sidecar rigs that stretch's back to the turn of the last century..........way before HD owners started dressing like pirates. Put the stigma or mystique (how ever you view it) aside and you've got one great combo for the road. I can't begin to tell just how practical and fun my Harley sidecar rig is!

What do you think of the price?
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #9
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanley View Post
What do you think of the price?
2003 FLHs going between 8000 to 10000 dollars. Used Harley sidecars seem to go between 3 and 5k. I think he's about 4-5 k High
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #10
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
2003 FLHs going between 8000 to 10000 dollars. Used Harley sidecars seem to go between 3 and 5k. I think he's about 4-5 k High
Agreed, that particular one is a bit pricey, it's a 100th Anniversary model but then they all were that year, no limited run bikes like the "Cow Glide" were made to commemorate the 100th.

shop around there are plenty of good deals to be had these day in low mileage well cared for Harley's with side cars.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #11
Wanley OP
n00b

Most that come out for sale have very low miles. I saw one 2006 with 200 miles. Parade Queens. How absurd is it to spend over 30 grand and never use it.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #12
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 389
I like my Urals a lotthey are cheap, reliable, but they have definite limitations Good luck in your quest
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote