Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,000
[QUOTE=WU7X;19699470]Hey DaveBig, I really am envious of you (and Drone's) GS's. Hope to go that route some day. Your setup looks perfect for running all the winding gravel roads in the bluffs along the Mississippi there in SE MN. I grew up in Red Wing and still have family there. Maybe we can meet up next summer when I'm back visiting with my wife. Wish I could drive my old R100 hack back there but SWMBO says H*LL NO!

That shouldn't be a problem, I spend a fair amount of time in Florence Township (Frontenac) and the roads around Hay Creek are nice also not to mention WI. 37/11 is the lowest available for the 11** series and if I didn't have an GSadv (lower 1st & 6th) I'd be looking to build one ASAP. You PNW guys have allot of scenery, but you remember little farm roads and big combines this time of year.Will be going out this afternoon as fall color is starting to burst forth.DB
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Sept 28 Adv

Yet another Not Maintained road adv into a valley near Mississippi River on MN side, not much color yet but the Maples in town are all red an yellow.

Whitman Deering road in WInona Cty near Rollingstone MN

davebig screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:23 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Hwy 61Revisited , Didn't see Bob

I believe this old dead end near Weaver MN was originally part of Hwy 61 that runs along the Mississippi River in S MN we didn't see Dylan but did meet someone.

Pretty sure this isn't Bob

davebig screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:24 PM
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Stuff you seldom see

Midwest stuck in a drought, winds not even blowing with it's usual enthusiasm, one seldom see's Lake Pepin this calm.Is that Elvis on the left or just his haircut ?

Maiden Rock WI where a Indian maiden is said to have killed herself over a fathers refusal to allow her to marry who she pleased.

davebig screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 07:27 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Another setback !!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been moving forward with my threat of change my cams on my tug to a set of Wunderlich, I did, it was a fools errand ! Actually its not quite that simple bike runs good and in the lower gears 2-3-4th it pulls like a demon and one can feel pretty decent power above 5 k rpm but its so lean it refuses to work in higher gears. I can either get a FI tweaker like the techlusion or Wunderlich version and continue to tune or go back to the stock cams. I was hopping for an unrealistic outcome, my hot rod GS more compression and flowed heads,Wunderlich cams works well with the stock Motronic, not so this time. I'm thinking we'll be back to stock yet this week.DB
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I've been moving forward with my threat of change my cams on my tug to a set of Wunderlich, I did, it was a fools errand ! Actually its not quite that simple bike runs good and in the lower gears 2-3-4th it pulls like a demon and one can feel pretty decent power above 5 k rpm but its so lean it refuses to work in higher gears. I can either get a FI tweaker like the techlusion or Wunderlich version and continue to tune or go back to the stock cams. I was hopping for an unrealistic outcome, my hot rod GS more compression and flowed heads,Wunderlich cams works well with the stock Motronic, not so this time. I'm thinking we'll be back to stock yet this week.DB
Is it possible to advance the cams on these machines. That may bring low end back for you.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Is it possible to advance the cams on these machines. That may bring low end back for you.
It is possible but cam sprockets are hard to locate and one can't do it with a key easily,there some 8 degree sprockets but they're too much, I have used them with a set of BMW road bike cams and pistons and cranking compression went to 205 too much, it had thunderous torque but wouldn't rev worth a damn.
I tried both sets of airtubes short and fat and long, the longer ones worked better but after looking at the plugs we are close to dangerously lean, if I where changing pistons also I'd get a tweaker and soldier on, but the engines in excellent shape has been dyno'd and the fuel curve was perfect with the stock cams.It'll only take a couple hrs to change back and I remember how to do it.
On the other hand my bypass screws where plugged up and it ran like hell when I first started it,like when we tweaked yours one side wouldn't respond and I think I shot half a can of carb cleaner through it to get it to work right.
MN fall is finally here its in the lower 50's and the winds 28-35mph out of the NW, I'm having trouble remembering why I live here.DB
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
snip..........MN fall is finally here its in the lower 50's and the winds 28-35mph out of the NW, I'm having trouble remembering why I live here.DB
The offer is still open...lol.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Confession of sorts

Justin the little Schnauzer and I have been out of business for about 2wks and hopefully it won't be another 2 wks, the leaves are mostly gone here in MN and and soon as the sun gets low cool, 20's at night maybe low 50's on a sunny day.
I busted one of the cam chain guides(nylon guide) while changing back to stock cams from one of my fools errands.To change the guide the cases need to be split (expletives deleted ) not to mention my embarrassment I've had my hot rod gs apart half a dozen times and changed stuff including rods and I knew the only real no no is don't break the chain guides.

Problems: I was too lazy to remove the car so I could see what I was doing,my real undoing was loosening the tenioner and undoing the cam sprocket with a impact gun it most likely caused a whip in the chain snapping the guide.
I hate learning stuff this way, I don't have allot of humility but this is helping.

Plans: Gina's BMW in Iowa City IA has the best service center I know of, I talked to Julius the service manager and he has my confidence told me what it should take hrs wise and said he had two young guys who had never split cases and he would like to use it as a training aid. 82k miles on my tug 100k on another GS this is a first trip to a dealer for help, I guess I'll live through it.
I had a spare set of cylinders I had rechromed and honed to a new fit and some 11/1 pistons from an rs,rt so he might as well put them back on and check the valve seats. Since everything comes apart it'll get a new clutch disk thanks to inmate Drone's shopping expertise.I had a 33/11 final drive I was going to stick on so that can change that, again its all apart and I had a set of brake light switches to remove the absi power brakes so he might as well save me the garage time this winter.About the time I get this paid for Stroker will surface and want to send me a front wheel. It'll all be good .

Anyone want to hire a cynic ??????? Great at bitter sarcasm ok at BMW topends and gaining experience all the timeDB

davebig screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 06:04 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #25
claude
Sidecar Jockey

>>>>Anyone want to hire a cynic ??????? Great at bitter sarcasm ok at BMW topends and gaining experience all the timeDB <<<<

LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Hey neighbor nice rig we could be twins.Funny thing is I bought mine from the Twin Citys only it was a Dauntless built come down to the GR3 next year it be nice to take a good look at it...First beer is on me...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 152
manifest destiny

Dave, Wow! Hot Rodding a GS may not be as rewarding as it's cracked up to be! You had a pretty good hunch about your wheel being ready about now. All that needs to be finished is powder-coating the rim and final assembly. I'll call you in the next couple of days. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Hey all Happy T-Day.Dave after looking closely at your pics Claude makes one hellof a subframe..Thats one that definely won't break..I was looking at the samething with my final drive this year,but after some more research I decided to send my final drive to Tom Cutter for rebuild got a noisey bearing in it right now..I'm sticking to the stock gear raito.Will be interested on how Strokers Front tire works...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Dave you've got the right idea

Dave:
That area in Minnesota is one of my favorites. I would love to follow you around next year in that part of the state if I get my rig completed by then.

My Dnepr hack body and my fender is at a local body shop right now. Progress is slow, but it is progressing.

I'm very interested in your front end trail mods and how your stroker front wheel conversion works out!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgypsyman View Post
Dave:
That area in Minnesota is one of my favorites. I would love to follow you around next year in that part of the state if I get my rig completed by then.

My Dnepr hack body and my fender is at a local body shop right now. Progress is slow, but it is progressing.
I'm very interested in your front end trail mods and how your stroker front wheel conversion works out!
Well Gypsyman this sidecaring is a learning experience there's allot to it and one thing begets another, the shortened telelever mod was easy and cheaper than $1500 for a new triple clamp, a welding shop I hang out in in winter did it, the fork stays in the same place and one can usually get by with less spring in front than with changing the rake.
A automotive tire in the back gives lots of push and wears well, but then the front tire is overloaded when it comes to braking and one really notices it when braking hard, I started out with a tourance on the front that should have had 5k left in it but the sidecar chewed it up in 3k.You may want to think about an automotive battery in the car trunk it seems to help balance allot and always enough power.If I was completely honest I'd say I wasn't sure it was better than a Mini' Cooper but I like things different and I'm still learning.DB