Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #76
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,583
Well at least you know you won't make that mistake again!

By the way, we know we call the little guy Justin, but did you give a name to the rig? Unlucky to ride a rig with no name.

Reminds me of an old Neil Young song--

You see I've been through the desert on a rig with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la ...

So, whaddya call it?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #77
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Well at least you know you won't make that mistake again!

By the way, we know we call the little guy Justin, but did you give a name to the rig? Unlucky to ride a rig with no name.

La, la ...

So, whaddya call it?
Damn I'll have to give that some thought,I usually call it the black one I also have a grey one and it's the Grey Ghost !
Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #78
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Hey dave, interestingly enough, i live in MN, have a hack, and have a pair of schnauzers too. Im looking to get them into the rig this year. Can you detail where those nice looking logging and min maintenance roads you found around pepin are? Any other good ones you know of.
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #79
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Hey dave, interestingly enough, i live in MN, have a hack, and have a pair of schnauzers too. Im looking to get them into the rig this year. Can you detail where those nice looking logging and min maintenance roads you found around pepin are? Any other good ones you know of.
I could probably show you in the spring, allot of that stuff will be mud till may in WI this :http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...countymaps.htm
will give you the county by county maps in pdf. A gps helps find things but going and getting stuck with a sidecar is probably not a good idea.
My mini Justin makes a great sidekick he rides the back of a single in a folding kennel also.He doesn't like his face in the wind so he tends to sit on the floor where its warm and only looks out when we stop or slow down.DB
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #80
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Testing has resumed

I dug out another speedo drive(off 5 mph till 65,then 8-9) I didn't know I had and since it was 30's and sunny Justin and I got another 30-40 miles with the 135/80/15 front tire,its better the steering is a bit slower, interestingly enough the other inch in the front still only gained me about a 1/4" of height but now I think I might get a 145/15 as its a little taller yet.
The Conti WinterContact on the rear is still a great idea and one has to get after in to spin it inadvertently.
I was about one coat short of good time temp wise, so we hit the car wash lost some chloride and went home.
Claude I'm ordering a tire groovier, I hit youtube and it seems easy enough and lots of folks sharpen their edges up with them.DB
Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #81
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Unlucky to ride a rig with no name.

La, la ...
The song was from the debut album of band "America" (oddly, a bunch of brits). The vocals were done by Dewey Bunnell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Horse_with_No_Name

I wouldn't worry about an unnamed rig. It'll let you know what to call it when the time comes, and you wouldn't want to get the gender wrong
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #82
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The song was from the debut album of band "America" (oddly, a bunch of brits). The vocals were done by Dewey Bunnell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Horse_with_No_Name

I wouldn't worry about an unnamed rig. It'll let you know what to call it when the time comes, and you wouldn't want to get the gender wrong
I've been thinking about Oskar Gunter Grass's character from The Tin Drum, or Javert the policeman from Les Merables being compulsively driven isn't all bad, or perhaps Just N Time the dogs monicker. I don't quite understand Drone's superstition, they don't teach that where he went to school. DB
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #83
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Once you know a sidecars TRUE NAME, you have control over it.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #84
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Groovyyyyyyyy !

Its true I'm old enough to remember flower power and things being groovy, but I wasn't that interested at that point.Claude being an old sprint car racer he's done this before being unable to find a 135/80/15 winter tire I thought why not make one out of a Nankang.

Stock Nankang

One attacked by a fool with a grooving iron.

Dunlop Graspic 145/65/15 WInter tire

Ok I would not do it that way again I would just groove from the center to the outside and stagger it side to side and leave the center block alone.This took a little over an hr and wore out one blade.
Off for a test it turns better on the slop not as good as the graspic but better than stock.
8" of wet heavy snow available, I got stuck went too slow got chair tire out of track and it got hung up, too wet too heavy shoveled snow out from under chair and away I went.DB
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #85
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

The rear

A Conti a Conti my kingdom for a Conti in 135/15 !
This guy in the rear works great !
On another side note the speedo is better than it ever was (stock) with a 1100rt 17" wheel drive and the 135/80/15 not more than 2 mph off.DB
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #86
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

It goes on !

We had 8" of fresh really wet snow on top of about 14 hrs of rain overnight, so Justin and I shot for 25 miles everything had been plowed once, we forgot the camera.We learned about tapping the rear brake to get the rig sliding in the corners.there was plenty of snow with water underneath it I think 45 was about as fast as we ever got going but control with newly grooved Nankang was not so bad.
Twenty miles was all my fingers and toes allowed, did learn that Smart Cars take 145/65/15 tire and Pirelli makes a pretty nice looking snow tire in that size,I did come across a Scion iq that looked promising but it has 16" wheels
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #87
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

More foolishness !

It was snowing to beat the band 2-4 " really coming down good time for a quick out and about tire test.The snow was very dry and light (wouldn't make a decent snowball). Visibility was about a 1/4 mile I live in a spot where its pretty easy to slip out to some gravel without the hassle of lots of traffic.

My unhappy partner in crime, wants to go back into house(image is screwed up no good ones of weather).

Finished 135/80 Nankang with extra grooves

It all sucked it took me 30 minutes to get out of drive(uphill) and a snow shovel to get enough pavement to get the rig moving (no momentum).The snow was dry and when it was flat I could get it moving without wheel spin with very light throttle.
Good news Claude's grooved tire worked much better than the back, tracked nice, provided some braking and with judicious braking didn't lock up and slide.The ride sucked I was warm shoveling and working, glasses fogged, I opened my shield and glasses froze , got so I couldn't see anything took of glasses, cold feet went home. I think there is a place for Urals such days may be it.I should have run the rear pressure way down ,onward and forward.DB
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #88
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Hey dave,

since im getting my riding schnauzer buddies (Chubbs and Hoolie) ready for the upcoming season, i have a few questions.

1) where did you get the zipper work done on your tonneau cover (or did you have it custom made?). I was thinking of having my new cover scut and zippers installed in the same manner for the dogs and the wife (to vut out more wind on cold days), and would love someone with experience to do it.

2) what harness do you use
3) any protection on the seat or side-rails of the car to protect again those hard schnauzer claws and puncturing the seat or scratching the car?

Thanks!
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #89
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Hey dave,

since im getting my riding schnauzer buddies (Chubbs and Hoolie) ready for the upcoming season, i have a few questions.

1) where did you get the zipper work done on your tonneau cover (or did you have it custom made?). I was thinking of having my new cover scut and zippers installed in the same manner for the dogs and the wife (to vut out more wind on cold days), and would love someone with experience to do it.

3) any protection on the seat or side-rails of the car to protect again those hard schnauzer claws and puncturing the seat or scratching the car?

Thanks!
Mike
I just had the local shoe repair leather sewing guys put in two zippers and a pair of snaps to keep it from hanging.
Justin has a Ruff Wear harness but they are expensive, I don't have much of a clever interior other than the seat PU bedliner on the floor and auto carpet mats.
Justin's not much of a look around guy he comes up checks the weather and returns to the next nap doesn't really like his face in the wind, if the tempo of the ride changes he'll have a look around, check to see if I'm about and return to napping.DB
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #90
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Hey dave,

Thanks!
1. Marine upholstery shops are usually well versed in installing zippers and snaps, think boat tops with removable windows.
3. I had my window tint guy put clear film on my sidecar to protect against scratches around the cockpit edges and the fender where you climb in.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote