User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Garage/shop floor paint/treatment?

I don't have too much stuff in my shop yet, so maybe now is a good time to paint the untreated floor with something to make it "shiny" (see how I worked that in there?).

I want something that is non-slip, looks good, cleans up well and is durable. Also, it should be relatively easy to apply (prefer roller) and not cost and arm and a leg as I have to cover 2000 square feet.

Suggestions?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,908
I don't know how much an arm and a leg is. I did the two-part epoxy paint in my garage ten years ago. Would I do it again? Yes. Is it indestructible? No.

Moisture is the biggest problem. Anywhere moisture can get into the concrete, the lime leeches up under the paint and causes it to bubble and flake. As a result, I have damage to the edge facing the doors and in one area where the ground gets very wet during the winter (and the slightest moisture soaks under and through the concrete).

Also: water turns the stuff to pure ice. You will slip and break your neck if you don't put sand into the paint before application. I wanted the shiny look but, it's just not appropriate if wet shoes, tires, etc, are part of the equation.

Other than that, the largest areas have worn well and the epoxy paint is much tougher than most single-part concrete paints I've seen.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Go here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20

Tons of ideas!

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 02:47 PM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,358
Two part 100% solids epoxy. Prep is the most important part. If you can afford it, have a commercial business shot blast the floor.

I have a shop with about 4500 square feet on the first floor. I epoxied the concrete about 2 1/2 years ago. This is an auto repair business open at least 50 hours a week. Brake rotors get dropped on the floor from shoulder height, floor jacks with full sized cars are dragged across it. All sorts of fluids are spilled. There are areas that have chipped but I blame that on poor prep.
Here's what it looked like after cure but before I put in the lifts.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"

Anorak screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 12:04 AM
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Thanks guys.

I definitely want non-slip.

An arm and a leg is 50 cents to a dollar per square foot.

Still not sure what I am going to do. If the floor is sealed already (I think it might be - there are signs it was once painted) then I might have to acid etch it and that would increase the time, effort and cost.

I might just wait and do it next year instead.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,594
test for moisture -- tape some plastic (a garbage bag does nicely) to the floor all along the perimiater of the plastic -- duct tape or plastic tape of spome form is good for this (masking tape is not).

Do this in a couple of places over the floor (you gots lots of floor!)

After at least a couple three days (includ a rainy period, if you can), remove the plastic and inspect for moisture.

If you find any, spend the money in another manner.

You KNOW how I know.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,530
Make sure you get the surface prepped properly.

One shop I worked in the owner hired a contractor to coat the floors only to have nearly 100% of the coating come up 2 years later! Other places have had epoxy floor coating that hold up well to years of commercial abuse. I've seen the good stuff peel and flake off after not much time in places where the surface wasn't prepped well.

As for the anti-skid that's usually just walnuts or sand added into the paint. Not a huge deal. The walnut shells provide the best anti skid surface that I've seen but I wouldn't want to work in a shop where the whole floor was coated with them OUCH!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I used epoxy kit on an older garage floor. The center stand of my airhead tore it up quickly. The rest of the floor did OK for the 1.5 yrs we were there.
Tmaximusv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,424
Concrete stain, get any color you want, dont have to worry about it chipping and all that associated with epoxy.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
I tried Epoxy-Coat on a new slab after I finished building a 400sq ft garage/shop.

It looked pretty but didn't live up to claims of durability...it chipped easily. Maybe something to do with the prep, but my new slab was clean and had no chemical stains. I did the scrub/clean process with Muriatic acid, per instructions.

If I get the funds to do it in my existing garage, I think I'd surface-grind the floor so the adhesion is better, and maybe have professionals come in and put the coating down.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I tried Epoxy-Coat on a new slab after I finished building a 400sq ft garage/shop.

It looked pretty but didn't live up to claims of durability...it chipped easily. Maybe something to do with the prep, but my new slab was clean and had no chemical stains. I did the scrub/clean process with Muriatic acid, per instructions.

If I get the funds to do it in my existing garage, I think I'd surface-grind the floor so the adhesion is better, and maybe have professionals come in and put the coating down.
For that size I would go with Porcelain. It is cheap and durable.

Check out some results from the link I posted above.

Jim
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I bought some really expensive stuff from Griot's Garage when I first did the floor in our old house. It didn't hold up all that well. Before we sold the place, I recoated it with the Rustoleum stuff from Home Depot. No idea how it held up, because we moved.

Our current place was already coated. I think it was professionally done with a tan epoxy with the color chips. I say that because it's at least ten years old, and it's held up really well. It is starting to come up in a couple places (we live in a heavy salt area in MN). I'd like to repair the coating in those spots without re-doing the whole floor, but not sure how to do that.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,987

Here is the floor I just did in my freshly restored garage (was just a shell built sometime in the 40's). It's commvercial VCT with a commercial poly/wax coating. I have about $.80/sq/ft including tile, glue, and coating. It's repairable, very durable, reasonably slip resistant and the color combos/patterns are nearly unlimited. It has it's drawbacks, but I'm familliar with how it wears compared to epoxy and I went this way for a reason.

On a side note, a floor like this in a garage is one bennefit of being recently divorced.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post

Here is the floor I just did in my freshly restored garage (was just a shell built sometime in the 40's). It's commvercial VCT with a commercial poly/wax coating. I have about $.80/sq/ft including tile, glue, and coating. It's repairable, very durable, reasonably slip resistant and the color combos/patterns are nearly unlimited. It has it's drawbacks, but I'm familliar with how it wears compared to epoxy and I went this way for a reason.

On a side note, a floor like this in a garage is one bennefit of being recently divorced.
Nice!

I need to seal mine, but even unsealed, it beats the hell out of bare concrete.

Jim
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,987
Looks really good Jim!

I dunno, something about this kind of floor looks really good in a garage.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: