Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
There was no intent to adhere to any purity laws regarding restoration on this bad boy, just wanted to bring a cool old rig back from the dead and get some use out of it as my commuter/bar bike. I didn't take any before pictures, but this was a $100 CL find, then added some goodies and some TLC:

Very cool! I have a Fuji Espree from around 1980 that looks a lot like that. I'll try to rustle up some pics of that too. Love that bike.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
gatling OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
This is a very cool thread. Enough reading for now. I am going to ride my Bianchi.

'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Here's my Hutch Pro Racer. Original owner and raced for a long time. A little rough around the edges but not in terrible shape for a 32 year old bike!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #34
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd156 View Post
I'm gonna have to follow you around and see where you're garage saling at!

I've got a few spots picked out for this weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Here's my Hutch Pro Racer. Original owner and raced for a long time. A little rough around the edges but not in terrible shape for a 32 year old bike!

Great ride, I always wanted a Hutch. Loved the super wide pro bars and who can forget the bear trap pedals.

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you have a nice parts group as well, CW bars, Mongoose Pro Class rims, GT laid back post. Are those Profile cranks?

Not that I would ever get rid of it but our rides/parts are demanding some crazy high prices.

We have the same truck as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #36
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Great ride, I always wanted a Hutch. Loved the super wide pro bars and who can forget the bear trap pedals.

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you have a nice parts group as well, CW bars, Mongoose Pro Class rims, GT laid back post. Are those Profile cranks?

Not that I would ever get rid of it but our rides/parts are demanding some crazy high prices.

We have the same truck as well.
Those are the Redline 401 cranks... Well one of them anyway! I wanted to replace the missing one but the vintage ones go for stupid money. And yes, so far I've avoided the temptation of selling but I'm not sure how long I can hold out. I literally mowed every lawn in sight to build that bike up....
Funny about the truck. Love that thing!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #37
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Their Chicago factory was nearly completed vertically integrated. Then the mountain bike craze hit and Schwinn ignored it...they thought it was a fad. Like they said on their historical timeline, they kind of blew it on that call.

I love the myth that Schwinn ignored the MTB craze. They were one of the first big companies to recognize 'something' was happening that had potential outside Marin County.

Taking a cue from the early Klunker riders there were bikes like the cruiser framed Spitfire 5 and Klunker 5 (bikes touted by Outside/Mariah magazine as the best start for a reasonably priced off road machine at a time when Fisher/Kelly, Breeze, Cove Bike Shop, etc, were still calling their bikes 'custom klunkers', not yet 'mountain bikes'). The Sidewinder (1981), the Sierra (1983), the Giant Bicycles produced High Sierra (debuting in the winter of '83 for the '84 model year, arguably the first sub-500 dollar mtb worth owning), the (partially) fillet-brazed Cimarron. All of these bikes were early mass produced entrants, and showed that Schwinn understood the market was to be truly driven by popularly priced bikes, not NorCal one-offs.

The first bona fide mountain bike racing star- Ned Overend, started out with Schwinn, first as an upstart 'privateer' on his own $350 '84 High Sierra, and then on a factory sponsored custom.

Yes, the 'real' Schwinn went away, not from "ignoring MTBs" but from the reluctance of the management 'old guard' to abandon it's traditional Chicago offerings. The likely coffin nail being the unionization of the Chicago factory- the most inefficiently crafted models, plummeting in popularity, from an obsolete facility, were now far and away the most expensive to produce, sapping the profits from popular imported models, dragging down manufacturer and dealer alike. Even after the demise of 'Chicago HQ Schwinn', 'Boulder HQ Schwinn' continued to produce innovative, high quality MTBs through the '90's. The 'Homegrown' series of hardtails are still well regarded and command a premium price on Craigslist and Ebay...

Schwinn ignoring MTBs, 1984.

Schwinn ignoring MTBs, 1985.

Schwinn ignoring MTBs, 1986.

But the myth will persist....

Back on topic... My favorite 'vintage' bikes are Marin inspired Klunkers built on prewar Schwinn frames...

surly357 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:02 PM
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #38
gatling OP
Beastly Adventurer

Schwinn used to have a timeline on their website and they said they ignored mountain bikes at first.

Glad you love the myth.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #39
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Quote:
Schwinn used to have a timeline on their website and they said they ignored mountain bikes at first.

Glad you love the myth.

Another example of why "Pacific Schwinn" isn't very well regarded as a historical reference in classic bike circles....

Contemporary magazines and catalogs show their presence in the market, doesn't take much research to see that.

And yet another factory Schwinn rider ignoring MTBs. 1985.

Ignoring klunkers while off roading a knobby tired, tubular fork equipped Schwinn. 1982.

Even I ignored MTBs while riding my 1984 Schwinn High Sierra (R) photographed in 1986. :-)

surly357 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:30 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #40
gatling OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Another example of why "Pacific Schwinn" isn't very well regarded as a historical reference in classic bike circles....

Contemporary magazines and catalogs show their presence in the market, doesn't take much research to see that.
I'm not sure when the mountain bike craze took off in earnest, but I don't know if a few bikes from the mid-80s showed a serious interest by Schwinn in this market. There are several sources that claim Schwinn came late to the game...

http://www.amazon.com/No-Hands-Schwi.../dp/0805035532

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2tNGKC-Fyl_Vkg

http://www.ehow.com/about_5382109_hi...inn-bikes.html

http://www.artipot.com/articles/1294...ain-biking.htm

Your viewpoint is interesting because it is counter to much of what has been published on this topic, including (as mentioned above) the timeline Schwinn used to have on its own site stating that they ignored the mountain bike segment at first. They did get into it once the market grew, but by then other companies had already established their dominance. I don't think that Schwinn was ever in the same league as companies like Trek, Fisher, and others.

That said, I'm a roadie. I don't know a lot about mountain bikes. I have no idea what "Pacific Schwinn" even means.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
When I had hair

My first down hill bike

Junior high
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:

]
my first MTB was a schwinn mirada sport 20+ yrs ago

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Quote:
I....but I don't know if a few bikes from the mid-80s showed a serious interest by Schwinn in this market. There are several sources that claim Schwinn came late to the game... I have no idea what "Pacific Schwinn" even means.

Nobody had more than a few models in the mid 80's. In 1984 for example, Specialized had 2! Things truly exploded in the next few years though, some companies transformed completely (Trek, Specialized, Giant) , other brands came and went almost overnight (Asahi, Mtn Sport, Renegade).

I know there are many web sources that repeat the "late to the game" mantra, but as I've mentioned, Schwinn had off road models before the term 'mountain bike' was even coined. They sponsored the first professional mountain bike racing star. I'm always left wondering what major manufacturer was earlier....

FWIW 'Pacific Schwinn' was my reference to the discount store supplier of off brand and psuedo brand name bicycles that is the latest owner of the once proud name. ;-)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #44
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:

Absolutely love it, skip tooth and all. I've been trying diligently for the past 5 years to persuade one of my old buddies to part ways with a prewar frame and fork he has hanging in the garage just for this purpose.

No such luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #45
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyanvil View Post
Great shots!

Love the first one, looks to be a first generation Scrambler?

What is the box framed/fork bike above?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: