Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #46
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post

Back on topic... My favorite 'vintage' bikes are Marin inspired Klunkers built on prewar Schwinn frames...

That right there is some sexytimes shenanigans. Hipster girls should give you complimentary joe blobs for riding that bike.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #47
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,864
Old Columbia, My Father had this hanging in his Garage.

2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #48
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
1984 Ross Mount Whitney. I rolled it in for a pic, the cats were thrilled. This wasn't your ordinary Ross Bike. They were hand built in Allentown, Pa. Double butted cro-moly chromed frame, deore XT components except for the crank, tange champion fork. They sponsored one of the first factory supported mountain bike teams, the "Ross Indians". In 1984 I had given up motorcycles because I had 3 little boys at the time, and thought it best. I had been reading about these mountain bikes they were riding and thought it would be better than nothing. So I went to the local bike shop and they thought I was crazy, "why do want one of those things?". They had to order it, there were no mountain bikes here. It's a frankenbike right now, I snapped off two rear derailleurs, bent the front fork, tacoed the rear rim. The only thing left is the frame, front rim, brakes, and seat post. I have had many mountain bikes since this one, but it's still fun to ride, it still shines on super steep down hill single track. You can lock this thing up and ride it like a sled. There a couple of them listed on ebay for $2600.00 +, which is nuts, but I have set about to restore it. Slowly picking up parts on ebay, really need that tange champion rigid fork to get anywhere with it.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #49
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
You hit the nail on the head man.

Since I can remember and too this day, freedom has always been my deep rooted connection with bikes. As a youngster in the summertime, with the only prerequisite that we be home for dinner, I couldn't eat breakfast fast enough to get the hell out of the house and roll. See you guys at 5:30 when pops pulls up from work.

It instilled great navigation skills and a keen sense of surroundings (while still fun, traveling in the completely wrong direction for miles will do that to a 9 year old and his buddies, WTF did we just do ), ingenious roadside bike repair skills, a desire to explore, and most of all a heightened sense of camaraderie amongst my mates.

If my parents had any idea the travels we did at such a young age they would have shyte themselves.
This was me too - around '71 age 10, Washington's Crossing NJ & PA. We ruled that state park and the canal trails on the PA side up to New Hope. I had a yellow Sprint, all my buddies had Sting Rays with chopped front forks. What a blast we had!
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #50
jet123
Using all my gears

Oddometer: 4,574
I soooo love it!

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #51
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 2,039
the mid 80's produced some nice mtb's, sweet lugs:

bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #52
bergermeister
housin'

for anyone interested, here's an old Peugeot tandem that I powdercoated and have nearly ready to roll:

super champion rims, TA cranks, and I threw some old suntour derailers on for good measure
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #53
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,113
And now for something completely different from a guy who doesn't care at all about bicycles.

Workman folding bicycle. I wanted some kind of collapsible bike for taking to the track when I race my car (explaining the rusty car trailer in the shot). Instead of buying some Chinese thing I found this on eBay for $63. Not geared for speed, but perfect for my needs. It's a Workman brand, made in USA and they are still in business.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #54
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
This was me too - around '71 age 10, Washington's Crossing NJ & PA. We ruled that state park and the canal trails on the PA side up to New Hope. I had a yellow Sprint, all my buddies had Sting Rays with chopped front forks. What a blast we had!
Good times eh!

We would hack the fork legs off at the top and jam those hollow tubes on the end of a good fork to make our choppers.

What to do with this one? I picked this up about a month ago for a 50 spot, it's not completely original but not too far off. I just aired up the tires and made simple adjustments to the shifter and hub so the gears would work. She really needs a full strip down, cleaning, re-grease, and tune-up. Also, both wheels are completely whacked and need to be chucked into the truing stand.

First year for the 3 Speed Stik, it's a 1966 Sting Ray Deluxe.

Horn/Light combo, notice the scallops on the bottom of the headlight bucket and bar mounted button.

Yeah right.

HOT DAMN! screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 09:53 AM
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #55
bergermeister
housin'

anyone wanna guess?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
looks to me like a pre cable front derailleur Raleigh road bike.
Probably Nottingham built.

Wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #57
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
anyone wanna guess?
Mid to late 70's Raleigh Tourist.

1978?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #58
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,002
Pre 1973 Raleigh

Three (with a functional fourth) common variants of the Raleigh Heron chainring existed (with a few additional one-off oddballs not covered here) during the many years the Sports model was manufactured:

To 196?:

Until 196?, the Heron chainring featured a distinct pattern of three herons filling the chainwheel. In addition, six decorative braces form three triangular shapes between the Herons. An example of this chainring is shown in the photo above, to the left. These early cranks feature 48t, 1/8" thick chainwheels, and 6.5" crankarms. The reverse side of these chainrings will be stamped "48t."

196?-1972 & 73

On models produced after 196?, the original Heron chainring design was modified to a 46t variant, and the metal was thinned to 3/32" (singlespeed chain still required). The basic overall appearance remained the same. This variant is not shown above, but resembles the 48t variant, shown on the left. These chainwheels do not feature any stamping on the reverse of the chainwheel. This second variant was used until 1972, although excess stock of these chainrings at the factory had many of them finding their way onto 1973 models.

1973-1976

In 1973, the braces between the herons were deleted, along with the Herons' stamped-on eye detail. The steel's thickness remained at 3/32", and teeth count at 46t, no stamping on the reverse.

http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_chainring.html
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #59
bergermeister
housin'

you guys are good.

it's a 1966 Raleigh DL-1, 28" wheels, rod brakes, and all. my uncle bought it new, and shipped it to me from Iowa a few months ago.

I don't intend to do a full resto, just want a nice runner and I like the patina. plus, it's near impossible to find new rims. presently struggling with the cotter pin removal... I may have to drill them. He also sent me a neat add-on light that he bought with it.

I have one more challenge: he sent it to me with a short length of rope tied around the rear hub, inside the spokes. I had no idea what the function was. Do you?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #60
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
I'd bet that piece of rope was there to keep the hub clean.
When I was a kid I remember my mom's CCM having a little strap on the rear hub for that purpose.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: