User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 261
MapSource Appends a "1" to waypoint names??

So I take a GDB file with waypoints and routes and export or "save as" to a GPX file. If I then open that file, the waypoint names are all correct on the list, but if you open a route, all of the "via" points now have a "1" appended to the name. For example, HOME becomes HOME1.

Anyone know what's up with this?

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
What GPS are you using?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

No GPS involved, just MapSource.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

This is behavior typical of BaseCamp - it can't handle duplicate Waypoint names. I've never seen MapSource do this on it's own. Did you create the GDB file or was it given to you?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave View Post
So I take a GDB file with waypoints and routes and export or "save as" to a GPX file. example, HOME becomes HOME1.
When you say "take" where did you get it from?

Are you saying you open (MapSource) the .gdb file and it only has single waypoints, then you "save as" .gpx and now it has double Waypints?

Are you sure the double Waypoints did not come from your GPS? If I download the same waypoint in two routes, like said above Garmin does not like this and gives the exact same waypoint a sufix (1)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This is behavior typical of BaseCamp - it can't handle duplicate Waypoint names. I've never seen MapSource do this on it's own. Did you create the GDB file or was it given to you?

Cheers,
My own creation. Let me clarify a bit. When I open the .gpx version of the file, the waypoints are correctly named and there are no duplicates in the "Waypoints" tab. However, when you select the route properties for a route comprised of some of those waypoints, then select the "via points" tab, all of the points listed there are the waypoint names as in the GDB version, but with a 1 appended to every name.

I initially thought it had to do with auto-routing using a routable mapset, but tried recreating a route both with and without utilizing a mapset and with autorouting off (use direct routes) but to no avail.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Are you saying you open (MapSource) the .gdb file and it only has single waypoints, then you "save as" .gpx and now it has double Waypints?

Are you sure the double Waypoints did not come from your GPS? If I download the same waypoint in two routes, like said above Garmin does not like this and gives the exact same waypoint a sufix (1)
See my reply above. No, the waypoints are correctly displayed with proper names and no duplicates in the "waypoints" tab. The "1" that I mentioned shows up on every waypoint name in the "via points" tab in the route properties.

Go figure.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I think you (or, MapSource) have stumped the panel Dave. I've never seen MapSource do that and I just tried to recreate that condition and could not - using MS v6.16.3.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My own creation. Let me clarify a bit. When I open the .gpx version of the file, the waypoints are correctly named and there are no duplicates in the "Waypoints" tab. .
You still didn't answer the question, where did you get this .gpx file?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I just tried it and replicated it.

I believe your problem is that GPX files treat waypoints (in the tab) and waypoints in a route the same. So, if they are both in the same "pool" of waypoints, they are naturally duplicates of each route waypoint.

Easy solution is to just use the GDB file. If you want to share the file with GPX users, save it off as a GPX when all your planning is done, and let the other guy worry about it.

This is a non-problem.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I just tried it and replicated it.

I believe your problem is that GPX files treat waypoints (in the tab) and waypoints in a route the same. So, if they are both in the same "pool" of waypoints, they are naturally duplicates of each route waypoint.

Easy solution is to just use the GDB file. If you want to share the file with GPX users, save it off as a GPX when all your planning is done, and let the other guy worry about it.

This is a non-problem.
Well, it's a problem for me, as I wanted to offer a "universal" file for purchasers of our GPS tours. Oh well, Garmin users are 90% or more of our base, so I'm just going back to the "old way" we did it for many years that served us well, and only officially support users with Garmin brand GPS units, and let the other 10% use 3rd party solutions to convert the GDB files to GPX at their own hazard.

Still, I guess I should try opening the resulting GPX file with a program other than MapSource and see if the waypoint/via point names are appended there. Maybe it's just a MapSource glitch and doesn't happen with other software.

Thanks for giving it a try and confirming it isn't just my system.

By the way, using version 6.16.3 of MapSource. Anyhow, anyone else wanting to try replicating this, just create a few waypoints in MS, then create a route using those waypoints. Save file (as GDB) and then also "save as" a .gpx file. Then open the GPX file you created (with MapSource), select the route properties for the route you made, and click on the via points tab. See if the waypoint names you used show with a "1" added to the end. I'd be interested to know if it's always the case that the names are appended with a 1.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Interesting that MAC could replicate this and I could not even after five route creations.

So, Dave, why are you sharing Routes with your clients? We only provide Tracks (and Waypoints) for our clients and therefore require them to have a GPS that will show Tracks on the screen. I've never had a problem. Routing sucks - even Direct Routing can have issues between GPS's (like duplicate waypoints).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 03:34 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
BajaDave OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Interesting that MAC could replicate this and I could not even after five route creations.

So, Dave, why are you sharing Routes with your clients? We only provide Tracks for our clients and therefore require them to have a GPS that will show Tracks on the screen. I've never had a problem. Routing sucks - even Direct Routing can have issues between GPS's (like duplicate waypoints).

Cheers,
Yeah, an update here. I tried several ways doing as I said above, and was not able to replicate the problem myself. I only used 3 to 5 waypoints, but could not get it to do what I'm having a problem with with a file with over 400 waypoints and about 15 routes. I'm going to play with this some more and try to find out what the tipping point or issue is that causes the appendage to occur, but for now a small number of waypoints with one route does not do it on my machine either.

No problems with our routing using Off Road or direct with Garmin units. As long as auto routing does not occur, which can be controlled locally on the GPS, it's the same results every time. The same is not true for tracks. Exceeding a threshold of (I think 200 or so) causes major problems with Zumo/Nuvi units as they create their own via points and then try to autoroute when navigating a track (converted to route locally). Whereas exceeding the trackpoint limits on the other Garmin units just truncates the route (it ends) at the point where the limit is reached.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, an update here. . .

No problems with our routing using Off Road or direct with Garmin units. As long as auto routing does not occur, which can be controlled locally on the GPS, it's the same results every time. The same is not true for tracks. Exceeding a threshold of (I think 200 or so) causes major problems with Zumo/Nuvi units as they create their own via points and then try to autoroute when navigating a track (converted to route locally). Whereas exceeding the trackpoint limits on the other Garmin units just truncates the route (it ends) at the point where the limit is reached.
I have found that not all GPS's support turning off Auto Recalculation. The zumo 660/665 can import routes in two ways. One way will convert the Track to a Route but there are no limits to the track point count and again Recalculation has to be set to OFF. The other way to import is via the Off Road Tracks feature. Here tracks have to be filtered to a max of 650 points and you can only have 16 tracks in the library at a time - although unlimited can be held on the µSD Card. I still only provide Tracks since I can filter them to the lowest "common" level usually 500pts. But, it really comes down to what works for your needs.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So, Dave, why are you sharing Routes with your clients? We only provide Tracks (and Waypoints) for our clients and therefore require them to have a GPS that will show Tracks on the screen. Cheers,
All Dual Sport Events that I know of only supply Tracks because of the many problems with Routes. A few people tried Routes in the early days but had many problems. Then one club tried to give ouit 750 point tracks to people with 250 point / track units, again problem. The current standard is 500 point tracks and let people with B&W units ask for special treatment.