Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Do you have to buy a complete rear drive? Can you just swap out the crowngear set?
It depends how deep is your pocket. Crowngear set is already $600, and you have to provide the housing + the labor to install the new gears (ask Tom for a quote, and or maybe he has one complet unit (3.36) laying around in his shop).
I went with a complet used R850R FD found on fleabay for a couple hundred $$$, I'm very please with the result and I never will go back with the OEM R1100GS FD on my rig.
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I have read here in ADV that the 15'' car rim w/ street tire will also lower the FD ratio to the ground from the stock BMW rim & trie.
Anyone know what that new ratio might be using an 08 r1200gs?
Right if you use a 175/55/15 on a 15" rim, this is a low profile tire (common use in Europe), but the "offroad" capabilities are limited.

Wrong when using a high profile tire on the 15" rim, 165/80/15, usually the first choice here in the US for the GS rig, because the overall diameter is the same as the OEM 17" MC tire (Tourance for exp).
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
My FD is shot. This is why I'm looking at different options.Talkwed to Tom Cutter he said its about $500- 700 for him to rebuild mine..He also said to swap out dieffrent from said RT FD I'd have to stick ewith the 1150 series because of the ABS systems are different..So with the intgrated ABS makes the swap limited...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrone View Post
He also said to swap out dieffrent from said RT FD I'd have to stick ewith the 1150 series because of the ABS systems are different..So with the intgrated ABS makes the swap limited...
Not really sure about this, all the oilhead lines (R850, R1100, R1150) have the same FD housing, and the ABS sensor hole on the FD is the same also. The ABS integrated system has nothing to do with the final drive. You may double check with the GS spot thread, some R1150GSA owner have used a R850R FD as the low gearing increase the offroad capabilties of the big GS. And actually, the 3.36 one I get, the PO had it on his R1150GSA.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Square4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Swaps

I agree with TwinTwin, I did not have any trouble doing my swap. Everything fit and used the same shimming for the ABS sensor. I do not understand what Tom Cutter is referring to. If you get some clarification on this, I would be interested in learning what Tom knows because he has probably forgotten more than I know.

Steve
Square4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #21
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,503
Confusion

I think someones confused about what Tom Cutter meant perhaps its the difference between abs and absi (power brakes) at any rate my 04 GSA has a r1100rt final drive those bikes have different style abs systems.and were getting along fine.DB
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I think someones confused about what Tom Cutter meant perhaps its the difference between abs and absi (power brakes) at any rate my 04 GSA has a r1100rt final drive those bikes have different style abs systems.and were getting along fine.DB
Agree, part # of the FD housing are the same on the GS oilhead line, R850, R1100, R1150, (the RT, R, do not have the same part # because, these models do not have the 2 bolts on the FD for the rear fender). So all the oilhead FD are interchangeable, the different ABS system are not related to the FD shape, casting.

More thoughts for the FD brainstormers.
Very interesting article from Anton Largiader website, where you can compare the speed relating to the rpm and the FD ratio
http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintwin View Post
Agree, part # of the FD housing are the same on the GS oilhead line, R850, R1100, R1150, (the RT, R, do not have the same part # because, these models do not have the 2 bolts on the FD for the rear fender). So all the oilhead FD are interchangeable, the different ABS system are not related to the FD shape, casting.

More thoughts for the FD brainstormers.
Very interesting article from Anton Largiader website, where you can compare the speed relating to the rpm and the FD ratio
http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/

I agree with you twintwin. I have the 37:11 FD on my 2000 1150GS. We swapped the gear sets using my old housing as I wanted to keep my fender. If you don't care about the fender you can swap the whole FD.

I have 165/15 tires with 37:11 FD. And with the sintered clutch, I can fly from a stop on a steep hill start like a mountain goat. No stalls and no smell. I'll never look back. Do I get less gas mileage that way? Yes. So I put on a ADV tank and have 7 more under the car for a total of 14.5 usable gallons to take me about anyplace I want to go. I can run all day at 65 and as I hate the freeway I don't feel the need to go much faster. That said, I have had it up to 90 (GPS indicated) and I still had a little left to go. I still like slower speeds as I get to see more of what I am surrounded by, nature. One of the biggest reasons I ride...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
Square4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gas Mileage

I just filled my gas tank and got 28.5 mpg. Since the rig was new with the improved lower end, I have been hitting it hard on acceleration to test the limits and was expecting the mileage to be done some becasue I normally run around 30 mpg. I will be going on a trip on Monday and will do more cruising along back roads where I spend most of my time when tripping. Monday should give me an idea of what to expect for how I use the rig and I will ride it more like normal and not do rabbit starts everytime.

Steve
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
Square4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More on gas Mileage

I went down to Golendale, WA to meet with dholoday and see Elmer's rig up close and personal. I had a geat ride of 259 with 15 miles on gravel, mostly back roads and some roads that I was running 75 (indicated on my speedometer) and I got 31 mpg for this. This is consistent with what I was getting before I changed the final drive from 2.82 to 3.2. So changing final drive ratios does not appear to be affecting the gas mileage. The vibration was not a problem and there seemed to be sweet spots that is why I was running 75mph.

Steve
Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #26
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,503
Gas Mileage power etc

I'm not surprised about your mileage, I have a hot rod 00 r1150gs putting a 33/11 in it got 2 mpg better in most driving.I think because the BMW's have so much torque people tend to not spin them a little harder rpm wise, they have a 7500 red line operating below 4000 rpm may not be the most efficient, if you get to using the power band more you may want to try using the the rs,rt airtubes (between throttle body and air box) they'll deliver more air when spinning it up a bit.DB
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
R850R final drive here on an '01 R1150GS. Straight swap, the only difference is the lack of bosses to mount the plastic fender.

It is perfect -- I can get rolling from 2nd now with comparable effort to what 1st used to be. Gas mileage is not perceptibly affected, and 6th gear becomes usable on the freeway (the wind resistance with the factory gear ratio made it lug a bit before).

Alternately, your local BMW shop can swap the gears in for you to your existing FD, but the parts and labor are severe -- you're looking at close to or just over $1k. If you plan to rebuild a grenaded FD, it might be a way to go.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
Well, The Big Rig used to ride like a mountain goat. Now it is on a trailer to be hauled to the dealer this Friday to have the one thing that was NOT replaced when I had the FD swap and clutch upgrade done last winter.

The Drive Shaft... Over 117,000 miles. What the hell was I thinking? Oh Wait! I wasn't! Left me stranded a fare distance from home Sunday too.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #29
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Did it snap, or did the splines go south? Did you know immediately it was the shaft, or what? Just want to know how I would diagnose that kind of failure trailside.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
Well, The Big Rig used to ride like a mountain goat. Now it is on a trailer to be hauled to the dealer this Friday to have the one thing that was NOT replaced when I had the FD swap and clutch upgrade done last winter.

The Drive Shaft... Over 117,000 miles. What the hell was I thinking? Oh Wait! I wasn't! Left me stranded a fare distance from home Sunday too.
Hi KC..glad they picked you up in no time and the bears weren't looking for a bite to eat as what happened to us in AK. 117k is respectable mileage although they go a lot longer or almost forever....and of course your new sintered clutch bites a bit more in efficency thus finds the slightest imperfection and then ppfffffff!! However it's just the shaft and no deep surgery is necessary unless the transmisson spines have been gored to death . If all OK..then you could get one good shaft from BeemerBoneYard for a small fee!

Cheers, miss you guys....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote