Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #61
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Hmmm...
I once heard that you should never trust an Englishman to make anything bigger than a hatbox, is that not still true?
Since all the owners are so damned enthusiastic, maybe we can add some second-hand reports-
A friend of mine who bought an XC last year has declared it hopeless as a dirtbike. He's ridden enough dirtbikes to know the difference, and has a DR650 and a DRZ400. He likes the XC as a tourer, but thinks maybe he should have gotten the Roadie instead. Anybody else feel like the 21" is a more of a styling exercise than good engineering, given the steep fork rake on this bike?
I can't say anything about your friends experience and can only speak for my own experience. From my perspective the Tiger 800XC is an outstanding ADV machine and has performed way above my expectations. Its a ADV Touring machine not a dirt bike like the DR650 but can get you where you want to go. Obviously a DR650 is a dual sport bike and a Tiger 800XC is an adventure touring machine. Not sure why you've compare the two? For me its the best machine on the market for my needs. When i'm done with this bike i'll probably get another. Its been awesome for the first 28 thousand miles I've put on it. I see your dream bike is the F800GS? That used to be my dream bike but now i'm riding my current dream bike.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 12:11 AM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #62
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Yes and No

So, the question is did I get the right bike from the start, more than anything else. I knew I would be doing a lot of two-up commuting on it. It was replacing my Buell Ulysses, which has a wonderful suspension system out the gate, and it works for solo or two-up without replacing the shocks. When it was time to replace it, I looked at the F800, Tiger 800XC, and 1200 GS(A). I really didn't look much further than those as my options. I was pretty well settled on getting the GSA (due to the great deal the dealership offered me on it). However, my wife (also a rider), asked what the possibilities were that we get two Tigers instead. I was open to that since I also still had my RT at the time.

Unfortunately what you can't do is test ride bikes with a passenger and other than the lack of a really beefy suspension (but didn't know it at the time), I was very happy with my test of the 800XC. So, we bought two Tigers. A street version for my wife, and the XC for myself. After a year of commuting on the bike and dinking with the stock suspension so it was really setup for two-up riding, I had two options. One was to replace the entire suspension system, or just get a bike that had a beefier suspension system. Or just replace the bike altogether. I was able to pick up a very new 'used' loaded GSA at the local BMW/Triumph dealer with zero money by trading in both my RT and Tiger (I also got a check back). So, I jumped on that option since I was finding it harder and harder to put enough miles on each bike to justify having multiple bikes. I just got back from a 4300 mile road/dirt tour of the SW part of the US and the GSA didn't miss a beat on either dirt or pavement. That ride however could have been done on the 800XC without a hitch either (except maybe the 243 mile stretch of road in Nevada with no services).

Now, would I buy the 800XC again? Yes, if it was just me on the bike (my daughter is almost old enough to get her license so two-up restrictions would be a thing of the past). However, if I knew then what I know now about the stock bike and two-up, probably not... well at least I would know to plan for doing a suspension swap out.

So, it's a Yes and a No for me.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #63
adcolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks folks -- I really appreciate the rider dimensions and weights. And two up evaluations.

I really enjoy my Triumph TBS, especially after updating to a new shock/spring. It has been my do-all bike for the past 7 years. On a recent trip through Southern Utah (amazing views and some great roads) two up (600 mile days) a couple of short comings are becoming more evident: we need a bit more boot room (size 11W & size 11M take up space), need some leg extension (5'10" @200#), along with the handle bars more under me (some neck issues; better form and control anyhow). She is an inch shorter than me, and around 175#, so she would likely enjoy more leg room too.

So a week or two ago we took a '06 Buell Ulysses for a test ride. All seemed well save the vibration. 1000-2000 (or the reverse) especially. Smoothed out @3500+ rpm. Could be it needed a good tune up (@ a used car dealer; bike had 20,000 miles). Riding position, torque, the lack of driveline lash (exceptional), feel, seat space were all better than the TBS. Foot space was better, but no bags to really evaluate the space; the pegs are in different planes, which seems to add space, ergonomically.

SWMBO said her feet were still vibrating (15 minutes later) and coined a term: Perky lawn tractor. She is a great passenger, with good balance (years of endurance horse riding). Since I like riding with her, still looking. The Buell was (still is) interesting, and I'll take another shot at one if I can, I am moving on. Didn't wish to spend the 800 $, but that may be what it takes.

Anyone have any past Triumph 885cc Thunderbird/Tiger experience? Interested in the power comparison. Living at 6500' makes you realize the ~25% loss in power when you head to the mountains (don;t recall the power loss, but still significant at my house). Especially when you are more out for the road ride versus tourist.

Thanks in advance!
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #64
adcolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I was thinking (it took a lot) about the low miles/low power issue.

Since these bikes are ECU controlled, and bikes have for a while now (Rocket 3 for example) controlled the power delivery in the lower gears (to keep the transmissions together), could it be that the factory map includes a retarded power delivery until certain mile stones quite literally) have been passed? Warranty issues and reliability would suggest it is possible.
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #65
wbrisett
hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcolor View Post
The Buell was (still is) interesting, and I'll take another shot at one if I can, I am moving on. Didn't wish to spend the 800 $, but that may be what it takes.
I would probably wait if you want a Buell. EBR is suppose to come out with a new "adventure" model next year. The Uly was my favorite motorcycle I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot of them). However, the parts are now starting to get a bit harder to find (HD will still order most parts, but when it takes 6-8 weeks for simple parts to come in, I don't want to think what it is going to take for hard to come by parts to come in). If EBR can detune the engine he has now so it works off-road and build it so it is as flexible as the Uly was (short of the tire selection), I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But until that happens, I don't see another Buell in my future.

Wayne
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #66
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
wbrisset,
I think I'm the guy that bought your XC trade in. Was it black with buell branded Hepco Becker side bags?
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #67
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

My dealer told me he has a different sprocket on his demo bike that gives more low end grunt. I think he said he could hook me up with it for 130 installed. Anyone tried that? I'm waiting for the ones i have to need replacing.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #68
wbrisett
hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smopho View Post
wbrisset,
I think I'm the guy that bought your XC trade in. Was it black with buell branded Hepco Becker side bags?
Yes, that was it. When I sold my Buell, the guy wanted the Gobi bags I had, so I gave him those with the Uly and kept the Buell branded HB bags and put those on the Tiger.

Wayne
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #69
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
My dealer told me he has a different sprocket on his demo bike that gives more low end grunt. I think he said he could hook me up with it for 130 installed. Anyone tried that? I'm waiting for the ones i have to need replacing.
Cost of a new countershaft sprocket should be around $30.

Installation is up to you. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do it in half an hour, assuming you have the proper tools.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #70
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 120
Hey Dr. D,
800GS as a dream bike- well, that hasn't been updated in a while I guess. At the time I had a KLR and a TDM850. Motor of the TDM in the (upgraded) chassis of the KLR with BMW quality and and warranty, what's not to want?
Can I change my Dream Bike to Nightmare Bike?
Given the choice now, I'd certainly opt for the TigerXC over the 800GS.
Of course, the GS didn't exist beyond rumors at that point, and we always want what we cannot have.
I was still hot to trot when they finally hit my dealership though, but strangely they had no demo bike. With F650 twin production run getting slotted ahead of the US 800's there were a lot of folks who'd had deposits down for 6 months or more and they wanted to to get them the bikes I guess. Then the 'problems' started. By the time they had a demo bike I was no longer considering an 800GS. Cost/value was part of the equation as well.
I bought a leftover '09 Versys in May of 2010 for $5,500. Sold the TDM 2 months later, once I was sure the Versys and I could get along, long-term. The bike has been awesome for me in every way. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to keep. It's never been back to the dealership for any reason, let alone recall or repair. It runs great on regular gas, and has 2-quart oil changes with a $4 filter. It shares a bunch of parts with it's sibling ER-6 bikes so price and accessibility should be good for a long time. Plus it is just a really fun bike..
Is it an Adventure Bike? I don't know, I ride it on all my adventures. I do know that I wouldn't want to trade its everyday virtues of manageable size, light weight, and nimble handling for a bigger bike, the advantages of which I would use rarely. That's the difference between reality and fantasy. Of course, it is hopeless as a dirtbike. But it looks hopeless as a dirtbike. It's got 17" wheels, for God's sake!
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #71
phillipsrog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Triumph customer service

Some might argue that's an oxymoron, but I wanted to update folks on all the drama with my bike. I will give you a very condensed version. My immobilizer started malfunctioning back in April. It was intermittent, and the bike would eventually restart, but it was a real pain in the ass. I bought the bike at a dealership 5 hours away (no closer option), and they were working with another bike with a similar problem and told me to wait until they had it figured out before I brought my bike in. They never did. They had to replace the other bike.

Meanwhile, a local shop started carrying Triumph. I took my bike in on July 25 and got it back October 29. Yep, it was sidelined for three months during prime riding season. For the hassle, Triumph hooked me up with some riding gear and a skid plate for the bike, both at my request, and also extended my warranty for the time it was in the shop.

The whole thing was a major hassle, but at the same time, I think Triumph made me a square deal. It took a lot of complaining on my part, which is really not my style. I just want my bike to work properly and not deal with this shit, but I had to.

Am I a "satisfied customer?" Yeah, simply because I still love the bike, and in the end, it appears everything worked out as I expected it to. But man, Triumph really needs to pick up the pace on its warranty work.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #72
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
Some might argue that's an oxymoron, but I wanted to update folks on all the drama with my bike. I will give you a very condensed version. My immobilizer started malfunctioning back in April. It was intermittent, and the bike would eventually restart, but it was a real pain in the ass. I bought the bike at a dealership 5 hours away (no closer option), and they were working with another bike with a similar problem and told me to wait until they had it figured out before I brought my bike in. They never did. They had to replace the other bike.

Meanwhile, a local shop started carrying Triumph. I took my bike in on July 25 and got it back October 29. Yep, it was sidelined for three months during prime riding season. For the hassle, Triumph hooked me up with some riding gear and a skid plate for the bike, both at my request, and also extended my warranty for the time it was in the shop.

The whole thing was a major hassle, but at the same time, I think Triumph made me a square deal. It took a lot of complaining on my part, which is really not my style. I just want my bike to work properly and not deal with this shit, but I had to.

Am I a "satisfied customer?" Yeah, simply because I still love the bike, and in the end, it appears everything worked out as I expected it to. But man, Triumph really needs to pick up the pace on its warranty work.
Wow i guess some of us are lucky my dealer greets me by first name when i walk in. When i got my stalling issue at 3K they fixed it on the spot and to boot drove me to work. Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego Rocks!!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #73
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I bought a leftover '09 Versys in May of 2010 for $5,500.
>snip

Is it an Adventure Bike? I don't know, I ride it on all my adventures. I do know that I wouldn't want to trade its everyday virtues of manageable size, light weight, and nimble handling for a bigger bike, the advantages of which I would use rarely. That's the difference between reality and fantasy. Of course, it is hopeless as a dirtbike. But it looks hopeless as a dirtbike. It's got 17" wheels, for God's sake!
Came off a Versys for my Tiger XC. Liked the Versys too, put over 8K miles on it.

Just don't ride a Triumph unless you're prepared to pony up for a new bike. They are absolutely lightyears better. Smoother, more power, effortless riding. Fit, finish, parts quality, all better. No more vibes, notchy shifting, blurred mirrors, even get a gear indicator on the Tiger. Handling is very similar, the Tiger weighs about 25lbs more. But it has at least 50% more power. For the XC you also get a completely adventure-ready motorbike, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Seriously, the Tiger is WAY better for 2-up, so that made the wife and I happy as well.

There has to be a reason they're almost twice the cost, besides one being from Britain and the other Japan.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #74
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
For the XC you also get a completely adventure-ready motorbike, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound
Lets not over-sell this

You definitely need a skid plate & some crash bars to leap tall buildings
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #75
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 120
I knew you'd call me on this Brownie!
I absolutely will resist the urge to ride one. For now. Maybe after another 34k on the Versys.
What's an immobilizer anyway, and how do I get it fixed when I'm down in Old Mexico?
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote