Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #121
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post

I rode an 800XC last year but didn't think it was that great on road handling, I felt it lacked the "intuitive" turn in on corners that my Wee-Strom has.

Did anyone else feel the road handling was not quite up to par when new? [I'm asking here because the "buy again" answer is a good guide to what a bike is really like- or capable of being].
My 800 is a roadie so perhaps not exactly apples-to-apples comparison. However, I felt exactly the same lack of turn-in accuracy in my 800 as compared with my WeeStrom. It all changed with a new set of tires; I chose the new Michelin Anakee 3 and am very pleased with the change, in particular turn-in is much more neutral than with the Pirelli Scorpion.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #122
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dane View Post
My 800 is a roadie so perhaps not exactly apples-to-apples comparison. However, I felt exactly the same lack of turn-in accuracy in my 800 as compared with my WeeStrom. It all changed with a new set of tires; I chose the new Michelin Anakee 3 and am very pleased with the change, in particular turn-in is much more neutral than with the Pirelli Scorpion.
Interesting, the 800 runs a 19" front whereas the 800XC runs 21", perhaps it is the steering geometry more so than the type of tyres.

But then again, I'm not sure if the rake/trail/wheelbase is the same between the two models.

If I get an XC I would be fitting Mitas E07 or similar. currently running the Mitas on the rear of the Wee with a Mefo Explorer on the front, also running Mefo Explorers on my Kawasaki KLE500 at the moment- both brands are doing very well for my needs.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #123
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I would buy another 800XC if this one went tits up simply because it's the best bike on the planet. It just does everything so well. You just need to change the tyres for different environments. i.e. knobblies for the dirt and pure road tyres for your track days. You really don't need 150bhp to have real fun.
Amen
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #124
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
When i first bought the bike i was a bit intimidated by it just bc it was much bigger, more sensitive, and powerful than the previous bikes i had gotten. I am still young (24) and have been riding street for 6 years. I have had it for 4 months now and used it as my first bike to go off road on. I commute on it daily and when i am not going to work, i am heading to dirt roads or twisties. So i can say yeah... i have ridden the bike a bit since i got it.

Would i buy again...? FUCK YES! As a first bike off road, i couldn't have been happier! It's got the torque to stay in 2nd gear the whole time since i am still fairly new to offloading. Or i can go to first and slide through turns (yeah i learned to ride off road pretty quick). I have 4500 miles on there and plan to ride it to Alaska in 2015. I couldn't have made a better choice.

I test rode the r1200gs, f800gs, 1200 explorer and the Tiger 800 xc. I loved the r1200gs but it was just too big for me as a next bike. It was really comfy and powerful but just to big for me. The f800gs, was cool but i really wasn't impressed. It felt a lot smoother than my KLR but honestly, not THAT much better. The 1200 explorer IMO was a POS. There was way too much vibration and noise... and it just felt really cheap after the 1200gs. Now after riding the 800 xc.... i absolultey fell in love with it. I mean like literally... FELL IN LOVE. It have the torque i needed and hp when i wanted it. It was really really really smooth and sounded amazing. So i saved up, drooled, dreamed, and bought it. Sure i have had to spend some extra cash to get to my comfort level as i am tall and skinny... but now that it's there, i absolutely adore it. My parents and friends are always surprised i never drive my car. But i tell them, why would when i have a motorcycle that is more comfortable than my car is. I can this thing to Alaska or across country. There is nothing i wouldn't do with this bike, because i know if i am capable of it, the bike is definitely capable of it as well.

Sure there is a thread of about the problems of the bike, and sure there are some improvement designs needed on this... but hey, as a first true adventure bike for Triumph... i'd say they did a kickass job! I would CERTAINLY buy again! Only thing i would do different is not wait 2 years so i could have owned the Orange one.

In my signature are the adventures i have gone on with the Tiger so far. Feel free to check em out.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #125
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Already on my second (first was written off in a fire) never hesitated :)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #126
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Glad I came across this thread.

I have 3 bikes; a BMW K1600GT, a KLR 650 and a WR250X/R (I have both SM and dirt wheelsets for it). Although I love my klunky KLR, on a recent trip, I really found myself wanting more power.

The K1600 is a wonderful machine, but I find myself more often on the KLR because of its all-around capabilities. Haven't really ridden it much in the past 12 months.

These two factors got me thinking about getting a dual sport that could replace both of these bikes (keeping the WR ). I don't want any of the big displacement beasts - too heavy. I've owned an 800 GS and didn't like it - too soulless. So, the 800xc came to mind.

I haven't ridden one yet, but after scanning this thread I think I'll mosey over to my dealer soon for a test ride. If I like it, the Beemer and KLR will soon be for sale!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #127
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
Glad I came across this thread.

I have 3 bikes; a BMW K1600GT, a KLR 650 and a WR250X/R (I have both SM and dirt wheelsets for it). Although I love my klunky KLR, on a recent trip, I really found myself wanting more power.

The K1600 is a wonderful machine, but I find myself more often on the KLR because of its all-around capabilities. Haven't really ridden it much in the past 12 months.

These two factors got me thinking about getting a dual sport that could replace both of these bikes (keeping the WR ). I don't want any of the big displacement beasts - too heavy. I've owned an 800 GS and didn't like it - too soulless. So, the 800xc came to mind.

I haven't ridden one yet, but after scanning this thread I think I'll mosey over to my dealer soon for a test ride. If I like it, the Beemer and KLR will soon be for sale!

I actually test rode the f800gs the r1200gs and the explorer 1200 along with the tiger. Be ready to buy if you test ride the tiger! It's really an awesome machine! Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #128
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
About this time last year I was suffering from a rather extreme case of cabin fever and desperately needed to get the heck out of the house for a while. I read all 4 pages of this thread and then drove 2 hours to the nearest Triumph dealer...just to see if it would fit. I walked in the door and the very first bike there was my '13 800XC.

I hopped on and everything felt fine. The salesman came over and asked if I needed any help. "Sure, what do you need for a down payment?" One year and 16,000 trouble-free miles later I still love it. No regrets at all.

I had a DR650 but wanted a little more power, better suspension and better brakes. While I could have just thrown $3,500 at the DR and been probably pretty close to what I needed, that money would have been gone forever.

I briefly considered the Wee Strom (Great dealership but just too much of a road bike).
I test rode an '07 Buell Ulysses (Poor fuel range, questionable quality/reliability and an awful dealership).
I wanted a Cagiva Elephant but couldn't find one.
I never even considered BMW.
The 660 Tenere is still AWOL.

In the end, the 800XC ended up being the "Super DR650" I was looking for. It carries luggage. It hauls ass. It has almost 3x the power of my DR650 and gets the same fuel economy. It'll scratch it's way up logging roads. It's very easy to work on and it confuses the hell outta my Harley friends.

Unless my needs change in a big way, I'd definitely buy another one.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #129
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
[QUOTE=it confuses the hell outta my Harley friends.[/QUOTE]

Mine too.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #130
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
One year old, 15000 trouble free miles, I have mine set up the way I like it and it is paid for. I test rode a KTM 1190 adventure this weekend but at 19990 dollars tricked out a first year model to boot, I just couldn't see giving up a sure thing for the KTM. That triple motor puts a smile on my face every time I break 6000 rpm.

Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #131
ibgary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I think it was quite common in discussions for a while. It's of course that some feel it more than others but it's also something that a lot of adventure bikes have.

From my perspective it's likely a combination of road and not correctly set up suspension. At least if it's not a bad front wheel / tire of course. And it feels like coming from the front, but it's also likely a combination of front and rear exposing it. My Roadie did it slightly, much less so with the Traxxion front suspension. I expect it to go away completely in two or three weeks ...
I've read a lot about the F700-800/ G650GS-Sertao. I've only read of this issue on the T800XC. It looks fairly common on the problems thread.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #132
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I would buy the Roadie if I had it to do over. I didn't get off road other than a few forest roads and paths. The roadie has good travel and can be fitted with DS tires. The cast wheels are a plus. It depends on what you want it for. I have two Scrams and I use them for different things. They are all great bikes.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #133
Tennessee Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
If someone complains about the offroad capabilities of the XC they just can't ride. I'm sorry to offend. I have been riding dirt bikes all my life and raced more than a few hare scrambles. A full blown dirt bike it is not but a it will go where it's pointed within logical reason and common sense without issue or fuss.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #134
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Goat View Post
If someone complains about the offroad capabilities of the XC they just can't ride. I'm sorry to offend. I have been riding dirt bikes all my life and raced more than a few hare scrambles. A full blown dirt bike it is not but a it will go where it's pointed within logical reason and common sense without issue or fuss.

It will 'till the sand gets a foot deep.

And it's a royal bitch to pickup!

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #135
Tennessee Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It will 'till the sand gets a foot deep.

And it's a royal bitch to pickup!

Within logical reason and common sense