Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,017
What have you built with Arduino?

I have seen a few posts on there that touch on Arduino, but nothing diving in very deep. I wish they would have had this when I was a kid 30 years ago, I loved this kind of stuff. I have ordered a few kits and my 16 year old has taken a bit of an interest in it so I certainly want to encourage that since he is a bit lacking in what he wants to do. So tell/show what you have done with it, real world apps, etc. Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Ride height control for the air suspension on the trailer. Trailer rides at the same height regardless of what is in it. Height based, not pressure based. The hysteresis to handle bumps in the road was the fun bit to work out. Had a few overshoot, slow response issues to debug as well. Put in a duty cycle limit so if anything goes wrong hopefully the compressor won't burn up.

Made a tow gauge panel for the truck. Press the tow mode and the sunglass holder drops down to revile the tow gauges. Had to do the de-bounce button logic. Servo positioning. One bug was the servo was nervous and twitched while stationary. Ended up adding a separate channel to power the servo on, change position, than power the servo off to keep everything happy. Few other timers so if you turn the truck off it puts itself away after about a minute and powers itself off.

Nothing super fancy, but still impressive that I could make it all work.

Did a cooling fan for work. They wanted it on at a specific temperature and off at another. With a couple of other bits of logic as well.

At one time I was going to make my own gauges. I had the function down. The stepper motors did what I wanted. But my graphics skills lacked so poorly that it brought the whole project down. I found some off the shelf gauges that were perfect and better than what I could make. I still have the stepper motors to play with.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Bobk0
MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer: 510
My brother got me one for Christmas and I built a little test board which will make a tiny LED slowly fade in and out. The objective was to make the LED look like the red beacon of an old radio tower caution light with the nice uniform fade. After playing with the variables, it looked perfect! great for a hobby build..or your own outdoor ham radio tower lol.

Future plans: create an autonomous security circuit so that when a manual switch is triggered, the arduino will power and control a tiny digital spy camera by switching a tiny relay in a sequence of delayed motions.

The relay's purpose is to replace a momentary switch found on cheap spy camera's like this which power on/off and start/stop recording actions. This way, the system can be left (hopefully) at 0% power consumption, and once triggered, the program will tell the relay to switch at intervals that mimic that of what the human hand would do in order to acheive recording.

So Trigger switch = power to arduino = execution of program to relay = power to camera = recording enabled. And then the camera continues recording until capacity.

This would be placed inside the interior of my truck (well hidden pinhole camera) and wired to a trigger...so that if said thief wants to break in, They will be met by some ultrabright white LED's (and maybe infrared as well) to illuminate that girly face of theirs....whilst my super clandestine camera records a nice video of them. Given they dont steal the vehicle, I will have a nice piece of evidence for the cops. This could also be applied to home security as well.....or maybe even a bike! (but those get stolen in whole usually. Way cheaper than a centralized system! Just an extra piece of mind.

There are plenty of (motion activated) cameras out there sure...but most require standby power. In this application I want something with a manual trigger and 0% standby power consumption. There are no camera's I have found with that capability so far in a super tiny pinhole size.
Bobk0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,465
First significant Arduino project was a high altitude balloon (data collection and camera control)

Nixie tube temp display (Thermonixie), receives temp data from a remote sensor (outside) via an xbee radio.

Dual timezone clock

Flight data recorder
Old 02-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,655
I've been messing with them for a while. Just bought a couple of the new micro views to try. The potential of the arduinos is enormous. I'm a controls engineer for a living. I'm watching this stuff with interest to see just how far people can take it. I don't think we're too far from it being a serious threat to some well established comercial products. Just needs some fancy enclosures to package them well.

Nice projects there Roma

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 02-25-2015 at 02:45 PM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Bobk0
MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
First significant Arduino project was a high altitude balloon (data collection and camera control)
Nixie tube temp display (Thermonixie), receives temp data from a remote sensor (outside) via an xbee radio.
Dual timezone clocFlight data recorder
^ Very nice. Great mfg.
Bobk0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,911
I've got a Raspberry Pi that I'm using as a media streamer but no read development, just end user.

The stepson, on the other hand, has taken an Arduino and is using it as a monitor and remote temperature/fan control for his Big Green Egg. He's out in the PNW and likes the idea of having the BGE doing it's thing without him having to go out in the cold to check on it. From the way he described it, he was using open source apps that he modified for his particular fan and temperature sensor. Didn't get a chance to see it in action when we were there for Thanksgiving.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,057
I picked up the starter kit a few days ago. Lots of fun but those tiny parts aren't easy on the eyes.

Looking forward to seeing what others have done with it.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,892
I found out about Raspberry Pi here on ADV and read up a bit on the forum, brought a magazine and got totally bamboozzeled.
Too hard for me!

but those who are doing stuff with this stuff, its pretty cool!
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 26,194
For one of their tech outreach days, one of my colleagues at ORNL built a distributed computing system (i.e. a supercomputer) out of a bunch of Raspberry Pi's.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,017
Its amazing at what they can do, I am treally excited about the chance to find something my son and I might enjoy together. I think the first thing I am going to try and make is a slider for a camera to shoot time lapse. I think that is totally crazy cool
Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Someone here built a gas gauge with an arduino.

They are really powerful, my ability to use them isn't nearly as great.
Started with the starter kit. Started with the blinking LED. Went a little further with multiple blinking LEDs, timing, and use of a potentiometer.

You really don't write code, or very much of it anyway. You find some code that does about what you want. Take parts of code you want to use. Change the variables and run with it.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
This is some neat stuff! I'm a controls engineer as well but have mostly done navigation in my career. I'm going to give this a serious look!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
mtnbikeboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I don't have one yet, but have thought of a few things I'd like to try. For those that are more comfortable with visual programming, there is an Arduino add in for LabView.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Where's a good place to buy Arduino stuff in the states. Their website was all in those weird Euro thingies...
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: