User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,325
Slot car shops....are they dead and gone?

I remember back when I was still in Monterey my buddy and I were talking about slot shops and how fun it was to go then about a month later, we saw a sign outside a business that became a slot shop. Place wa packed all day and night.....Don't know if it is still there. They were big in the 60s and 70s. I think the one in Monterey was built in about 1989 or 90 and I left there in 1995. It was still going strong. Turns out it is a carpet store now....I guess they went away with the drive in movie.

Sniper X screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 02:59 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,273
I have a bunch of Strombecker from the 60's in a box. There's at least 4 cars with 6 bodies and a lot of track. I'm guessing I have at least two sets as there are 4 controllers and 2 control points track pieces. I know there was a resurgence in the 00's but I think that faded by the '10's.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I have a bunch of Strombecker from the 60's in a box. There's at least 4 cars with 6 bodies and a lot of track. I'm guessing I have at least two sets as there are 4 controllers and 2 control points track pieces. I know there was a resurgence in the 00's but I think that faded by the '10's.
Yep, the slot shop in Monterey opened about 1990 or so and I heard it is closed since about 1999.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 3,092
I suppose RC cars marked their doom? but it seems they were gone before RC really took over?

I to have very fond memories of hanging out at a slot car shop, man those are fond memories, I was always scared of the big high school guys there so all I could do was watch, didn't have the guts nore the money to race my own car.
At home I was was way into the HO scale tracks and cars.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
I suppose RC cars marked their doom? but it seems they were gone before RC really took over?

I to have very fond memories of hanging out at a slot car shop, man those are fond memories, I was always scared of the big high school guys there so all I could do was watch, didn't have the guts nore the money to race my own car.
At home I was was way into the HO scale tracks and cars.
They were still around after RC cars but I am sure RC helped kill them off for sure.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
They were still around after RC cars but I am sure RC helped kill them off for sure.
Indeed! I still have my HO set up (trains too- yeah, I had it bad back in the day) and recall many a night with my buds (who all race SCCA now) having a race challenge series. Each of us had a different track and we would go to each others houses and race. Good times, good fun.

There was a 1/32 scale track in a neighboring town many years ago.....long since gone.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
By the 80's slot cars went from the (1:32 scale) Strombecker's to the small (HO scale) Tyco's. They were popular but I don't think they were as popular as the big cars were. Not one raced them other then at home. By the late 70's early 80's R/C cars were gaining ground though. I saw a 1:32 slot car track open up in a strip mall around '96-97. They had a road course as well as a drag course. I think the 1:32 scale we see now is from Europe where it never really died off like it did here. Scalextric makes many 1:32 scale cars and tracks. I'm not sure when the track closed but it couldn't have been more then 10 years after it had opened.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,902
There's one in Modesto where I live, I've never had the urge, too.....redundant and restrictive.

Once you've flown a nitro T-Maxx 30' over a 10' jump, slots kind of lose their appeal.

And with battery tech the way it is now, Elec RC has surpassed Nitro in terms of performance. Entry lvl price is still high, though.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

The slot shop in Monterey was very nice. They had a few different tracks as I remember, and each track had at least 8~10 lanes. And the dragstrip was a great way to sharpen reaction times.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
There's one in Modesto where I live, I've never had the urge, too.....redundant and restrictive.

Once you've flown a nitro T-Maxx 30' over a 10' jump, slots kind of lose their appeal.

And with battery tech the way it is now, Elec RC has surpassed Nitro in terms of performance. Entry lvl price is still high, though.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I've seen them in Tokyo.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,067
Back in the '60s, there was a track setup in the back of the local hobby shop in Dowagiac,Michigan. Aurora, the model maker, sponsored a program of racing with their HO cars-they were all Mustangs, I seem to remember. I participated a little, but I was never any good at it. I think my brother still has all the cars and stuff.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 35,836
I still have over 100 HO cars and tons of track. . Model motoring and afx from aurora. The Tyco stuff was fast, but junky. Nowhere to run them anyway these days but home.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,555
Queens, NYC. Rego Raceway.

They had 4 different tracks. I was 10 or so (1965) and I got my Dad interested.

At first we rented a couple cars and controllers, Then we bought some kits and built 4 different cars. Bought 2 controllers too. 1/24th scale.

Some of the guys there had REALLY fast cars- they had "rewind" motors, the way to get more power from the electric motors.

3 years or so later the place closed down

I can still remember how that place smelled- some liquid that was used on the tires for traction.

I got my MotoMatters calendar, did you?
DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,496
there's one where I live seems to always be busy.My brother and I use to race every Monday night at one in a neighboring city, maybe 8 years ago.Always fun
hateithere is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: