User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,881
School me on a 2001 2500HD Duramax

My dogwalker is looking to downsize so she is selling her 2001 Chevrolet extended cab 4X4 2500hd with duramax and allison transmission. Bought it to haul a 5th wheel travel trailer around the country but her husband passed before that dream was realized. Just uses it for yard duty and because she feels safe in the big truck.

121,000 miles. I'd say very good condition and well maintained. Always garaged.

She says KBB says $9,500.

Whatcha'll think? I know the Allison tranny is well regarded. How does the duramax do? I know it is a isuzu / chevy collaboration and isuzu knows diesels.

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
wafish
Crashy VonBrokenbits

Oddometer: 172
My dad has a 2004-ish 3500 with the Allison/Duramax combo. Incredible amount of power - he claims 80mph over mountain passes with a 3k lbs camper in the bed. He hasn't had any issues in the year or three he's owned it.

I'd suggest figuring out what engine it has and doing a bit of research. If I recall correctly, some of them are prone to injector issues.
wafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,021
Where I am that's the deal of the year...even if the injectors are out of it. Jump on it.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
That's a steal! I've looking & I'd jump on it.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
PostIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI View Post
My dogwalker is looking to downsize so she is selling her 2001 Chevrolet extended cab 4X4 2500hd with duramax and allison transmission. Bought it to haul a 5th wheel travel trailer around the country but her husband passed before that dream was realized. Just uses it for yard duty and because she feels safe in the big truck.

121,000 miles. I'd say very good condition and well maintained. Always garaged.

She says KBB says $9,500.

Whatcha'll think? I know the Allison tranny is well regarded. How does the duramax do? I know it is a isuzu / chevy collaboration and isuzu knows diesels.
Boss has one with 180k on it.. It moves I have been in it for a trip to upstate NY and it is very comfortable. Go for it!
PostIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,336
One word. Injectors
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,881
I am reading up on the injector issue and it sounds like it can be a doosey if you don't catch it in time. Head gasket bad.....

I appreciate the info. Any owners out there?

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,266
I had an 04 which is the same LB7 engine as an 01. Nice truck, tons of power, easy to chip into the retarded levels of power.

Mine had 3 sets of injectors replaced under warranty. I got rid of it before it decided to have a set on my dime. The LB7 had the injectors buried under the valve covers and were a lot of labor to get at. You can read the differential between injectors with a scanner.

The other problem I had was pump rub in the transfer case. I caught mine and rebuilt the case before anything bad happened with a new plate from merchant automotive. I sold mine with 200k on it.

Solid truck, but that injector bill is a biggie like $4k. Same with the pump but not as bad.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 838
Speaking of injectors...

I have a 2003, which is the same engine as the 2001 you are looking at, the LB7. I recently replaced the injectors in my truck, myself. It took my three days of work, not being real serious about it and taking my time. The work is easy, just labor intensive. With the supplies and injectors I spent about 2600 bucks.

My LB7 consistently gets 19mpg in town. Higher on the highway, as high as 24 mpg with the cruise set at 67mph. I recently bought efilive and made a small tune for it. With a little more timing and a little more fueling I have an extra 60hp and went from 18mpg at 75mph to 21mpg.

The LB7 requires a little love, but I think it is worth it
The LLY has cooling issues and has no injector issues
The LBZ makes great power but doesn't get great mileage
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI View Post
...Any owners out there?

I have a 2013 (LML). I was just telling my friend (the other night, in fact) that the Duramax/Allison combo, combined with the GM chassis, makes for one of the most composed and civilized diesel pick-ups I have ever owned...and I've owned a few.

I'm getting used to the "regen" nonsense, that comes-along with modern diesel trucks. Of course, if you score that LB7, you won't to have to get used to any of that. That is a major reason why the "pre-emissions nonsense" diesels have become so desirable.

I'm with Murf2...I think it's a helluva' deal.

Good luck.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
I bought an '03 new and Chevy replaced the injectors at around 60 or 70 thousand miles. Only problem I've really had with it other than the front hub bearings which all go out around 100K. Got 175,000 on it now and it's still tight and rattle free and runs great. The injectors are getting to be marginal again, and I run Seafoam through it now and then along with Cetane booster to keep things in line with the low-sulphur diesel.

I hear now if you replace the injectors in an LB7, the ones you will buy new won't go bad again, they've made them differently or something. Probably replace mine in the next year or two.

All the good things you hear about Duramax/Allison are true in my experience. I have larger exhaust, large air intake, and an Edge programmer and I can pull anything on earth with it.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: