User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Night photography: tips for setting focus manually

Hey guy i am starting to mess with night photography with my rebel 2ti dslr. I am having trounle finding focus because the sight and lcd dont show anything prior to the photo being taken. So I do trial and error until its about right. Is there a better way?

Auto gocus is useless btw... Unles i have a light source in the frame.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
rwmson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Shine a flashlight on the subject and then focus?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Go to infinity on your lens, set F stop to 5.6 or slower. Shoot. Make small adjustments if needed
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hey guy i am starting to mess with night photography with my rebel 2ti dslr. I am having trounle finding focus because the sight and lcd dont show anything prior to the photo being taken. So I do trial and error until its about right. Is there a better way?

Does the rebel have a focus assist indicator? When it's really bad that's what I use on my Nikon DSLR's and it has arrows showing which way it's out of focus and then a dot for in focus.

Edit: Looked it up and you do have a manual focus confirmation, there's something that will flash/beep at you but I couldn't find much beyond that so I'd look in the manual or do some more digging in photo forums. I find DGrin (the photo sister forum of ADV) will get you better information, and DPReview's forums will get you answers a lot faster but not as reliable and sometimes random fanboy trolls will show up....think of it like a photo forum with a touch of JoMamma.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:

What are you shooting? does it move?

For far away stuff, I just manually do it most of the time w/ as tight an f-stop as I can afford...if it's on a tripod, I set it for depth of field. Just off infinity usually does great. I used to love the flashes that shot out a red LED light to help with near-focus of people. When I don't have that at my disposal, I manually focus alot. particularly if it's people. Definitely hit or miss, so I prefer a flash if people are involved. Take a look at your lens and figure out it's focus range in terms of lock-to-lock twist angle. For my SHG lenses, it's 180 degrees lock-to-lock from infinity to close focus. For my HG lenses, it's a mix of 120 degrees & non-mechanical couplings, which really screws with your ability to guess accurately.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 12-24-2014 at 10:57 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I am just shooting landscpapes. i think with your tips I got the focus part down.

Now the issue I have is that the pics either have nice skies and dark landscpae or nice lanscapes and white/ugly skies. I have never messed with HDR.

Can I just take a low exposure shit, keep the rest of the settings then raise the exposure and combine them later on?

I dont know how to mess with brackets and stuff.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,632
Quote:
I am just shooting landscpapes. i think with your tips I got the focus part down.

Now the issue I have is that the pics either have nice skies and dark landscpae or nice lanscapes and white/ugly skies. I have never messed with HDR.

Can I just take a low exposure shit, keep the rest of the settings then raise the exposure and combine them later on?

I dont know how to mess with brackets and stuff.
Brackets is easy once you find the setting. Just set it to the difference you want (I usually do 1 full stop) and shoot it preferably with a remote if you're trying to do an HDR so you don't move the camera at all.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? While it can't save everything you can get a lot more detail using RAW and this example is using a few generation old 4/3 sensor (E-620).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Here's an example of the highlights that can be saved, first image is a shot I took from my room over in Tel Aviv straight from the camera JPEG, then that with a direct B&W conversion and finally a B&W from a RAW file:

Additionally I've done a color RAW version since then:

(Edit: There are also some distortion corrections I applied in this new version)

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
hyperfocal distance charts are your friend

at every lens zoom distance and aperture there is a focus distance that will put everything between x meters and infinity in focus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

and yes, there's an app for that

http://www.dofmaster.com/

if your camera allows manual focus and gives you a distance or scale, you should be able to set it to (for instance)

24mm
f/8
focus at 12.5ft

everything from 6.25 ft to infinity is in focus

It's not magic, just math.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: