Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #301
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
So after the speech tonight I think it may be time to pull the trigger and buy an AR. My LGS has a S&W M&P 15 for $925, a Windham M4FT for $895, and the Walmart has a Sig Sauer M400 for $900-something. Which would be worth the cost? I've been reading reviews and they all seem to be decent rifles. If anything I'd rather support the guy at the local store, because he answered a bunch of my questions about reloading the other day, and I appreciate his time. That being said, I'm not willing to pay more than $50 or so bucks for his time, so if he's jacked the price of the Smith or the Windham by more than $50 it's not worth it.

One other thing - if I get the Smith, I can get a $100 rebate from S&W, so it's actually $825 after the mail-in rebate.

I actually wanted to get a Garand, (it's supposed to be my Christmas present from my wife) but the store doesn't have any good WWII-era rifles, and I really only want it for the history, not for the shooting so much.

I don't think that there is a bad choice there. My two are Bushmasters but built back when the Windham group was Bushmaster (before they were bought, moved, etc.). If you are looking toward 'farkling' check to see that they are ALL mil-spec, I was surprised to learn that mine use commercial buffer tubes. Of course many aftermarket stocks can be obtained to fit commercial but mil-spec is easier to find. I thought (very likely wrong) that S&W was coming from the new (moved) Bushmaster and may also use commercial buffer tubes. Having recently learned that the new Sig Pro-Shop is a pleasant (well not in this weather) bike ride away from my house, I am inclined to look there for my next one but we'll have to see how that turns out, no actual experience with them yet.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #302
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Okay here are another couple of questions. What do you all think about the rifles with the fixed front sights? It seems like it forces you to use a riser for a scope, but it also means that there are always iron sights if the scope fails.

Also, what kind of scope is good for one of these? I went to the local shop this afternoon and the S&W was sold, and I didn't like the fact that the Windham has a fixed front sight like a normal M4. Then I went to Cabela's and they didn't have the Smith, only the Windham. So then I was torn and anyway, I'm not sure the advantages or disadvantages of having a totally flat top or having fixed front sights.

So enlighten me, please!
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #303
ridered3000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
[QUOTE=Squelch;20273857]Okay here are another couple of questions. What do you all think about the rifles with the fixed front sights? It seems like it forces you to use a riser for a scope, but it also means that there are always iron sights if the scope fails.
I bought one of the M&P Sports and used standard rings.I used a variable power scope that starts at 3x and you can't see the front post.I read that anything 2x and above and you shouldn't have to worry about using risers but thats just what I read on the internet.I know 3x removes it from your sight picture.

Edit to add I didn't leave the scope on mine because I could acquire targets quicker with the iron sights so I can't make any suggestions

ridered3000 screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 09:52 PM
ridered3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #304
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Thumb Folding Front Sight

Quote:
Okay here are another couple of questions. What do you all think about the rifles with the fixed front sights? It seems like it forces you to use a riser for a scope, but it also means that there are always iron sights if the scope fails.

.................................................. ...........

So enlighten me, please!

I had a fixed front sight on my 'Bushmaster Izzy', with the Bushnell optic, the front sight drove me nuts. I can't say that it was inaccurate or caused me to miss but I hated it. Putting a conventional scope on it made the front sight disappear but I still wanted the option of a 0x optic. I installed a YHM folding front sight and highly recommend doing something along those lines. When the Bushnell died I coughed up the cash for an EOTech sight. I could not be happier with the combination. While many (younger eyed?) shooters do fine with the fixed front sight, I have handed my rifle to quite a few that use them regularly and everyone has immediately said "Wow" at how clear it was not to have it up there.
So, if you are going to use a scope, there isn't any reason to worry about the front sight, you do not need high mounts and rings to see over it and you can remove the scope and swap on a (pre-adjusted) rear sight when you wish to shoot 'irons'. My experience was that even with a 3x, the sight became a non-issue for me. If you plan on some type of 'red dot' give serious thought to getting some kind of folding sight up there. YMMV

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #305
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Thanks Fire Escape, that helps. It just seemed to me that the fixed front sight looked "wrong" somehow. Right now my local Cabela's is sold out of the M&P 15, so I'm biding my time until after Christmas, hoping they get more. And the LGS says he's not sure he's ever going to get more.

If I end up not getting one it's certainly not the end of the world, but it's one of those things I always thought would be "nice to have" and never had any pressure to buy until now.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #306
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:

Also, what kind of scope is good for one of these? I went to the local shop this afternoon and the S&W was sold, and I didn't like the fact that the Windham has a fixed front sight like a normal M4. Then I went to Cabela's and they didn't have the Smith, only the Windham. So then I was torn and anyway, I'm not sure the advantages or disadvantages of having a totally flat top or having fixed front sights.

So enlighten me, please!
I opted for the DPMS (OR) as it came with a gas block, my m4 has the front post and i don't like it, as mentioned with a 0x optic (red dot) it is visible. Here is my rifle with some added goodies i got yesterday

I still have to get a Magpul MOE stock (also looking at a few more options as well) and then some mbus flip up (front and rear). The scope i have on it now works great, but will more than likely go with an EOTech and 3x.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #307
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Holy crap prices are stupid. The exact same daniel defense I bought three months ago for $1180 can't be found for less than $1400, and that's if it's in stock at all! I wanted to build a matching rifle to mine for my son for christmas, but at these prices, I'd rather sell mine and buy us something else in a matching pair.
Well thank god I didn't listen to myself. I said hell with it, and bought one at what I thought was an inflated price last week. Looks to be a bargain now.
Should be here by friday.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #308
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
the runs on gun shops have already started with the fear of an assault rifle ban

Went to a couple local gun shops and every AR15 or ak type rifle that would fall under an assault weapons ban. Thought that was weird and maybe a coincidence.......went online to a fairly well known gun store and they're sold out of everything that people will think might get banned. Wish I had bought an ar15 rifle while I could
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #309
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post
the runs on gun shops have already started with the fear of an assault rifle ban

Went to a couple local gun shops and every AR15 or ak type rifle that would fall under an assault weapons ban. Thought that was weird and maybe a coincidence.......went online to a fairly well known gun store and they're sold out of everything that people will think might get banned. Wish I had bought an ar15 rifle while I could
Yup
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #310
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post

Went to a couple local gun shops and every AR15 or ak type rifle that would fall under an assault weapons ban. Thought that was weird and maybe a coincidence.......went online to a fairly well known gun store and they're sold out of everything that people will think might get banned. Wish I had bought an ar15 rifle while I could.
I was just getting interested in an AR15. Doesn't look like I'll be getting one any time soon.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #311
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Not only complete rifles, but stripped lowers are out of stock everywhere too. One site had over 500 stripped lowers come in today, they were sold out within a couple of hours.

Kinda wish I bought a couple of lowers to put away earlier. Luckily I found a site with a few PMags left in stock for my 300 blk build, can't find them anywhere either. Cheaper than Dirt was selling PMags for $60.00 each earlier today. Yesturday, they were $12.00.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #312
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
CTD is well known for price gouging like that....they did it 4 years ago when Obama got elected the first time.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #313
CodyY OP
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
CTD is well known for price gouging like that....they did it 4 years ago when Obama got elected the first time.
Fuck ctd. I dont get why people dont see through their bullshit

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #314
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Fuck ctd. I dont get why people dont see through their bullshit

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
100% agree
I can buy nearly anything they sell locally for less with the only downside being state tax (which I can live with).
EFF CTD
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #315
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
This shortage could not have happened at a worse time. Just last week I had a boating accident and my LaRue fell into the lake and was lost...

Edit: reference to a political action removed

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 09:40 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: