User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
BGil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
SW-Motech Trax cases - Bad locks

I just got in the mail my new lockpick tools set. As a hobby in case I lose my keys, not for stealing.

I tried them on the locks of my SW-Motech Trax luggages. It's the first time ever that I try to pick a lock ; it took me 10 seconds to open the case.

What a shitty lock !

I'm really disappointed with the quality of these luggages. Not only do they let the rain come in, but I have the feeling that a kid with a bent paperclip could be able to open them.
BGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I agree. What can we do beside posting on the googleable net to tell everyone how easy it is...?
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
I'll bet I can open them in less than 10 seconds with a big screwdriver and a rock.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
They are just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your stuff, they will take it. A small 4 or 5 tumbler lock held in with a clip wasn't meant to stop real thieves. The same is also true of pelican cases, BMW trax look alikes, all the plastic givi style cases, ect ect. A big screw driver will get you into all of them.

In fact, a bent coat hanger will get someone who wants into a car in, almost as easy as someone with a slim jim.

I got these alloy padlocks on my pelican case, I was able to destroy one with a pocket knife and a small hammer, split the casing right in half. Locks are there for the illusion of security.

Oh, and they should have gave you dry bags with your Trax. They are known to leak. Not really at high way speeds but just sitting there water finds a way in. The BMW 'trax' look alikes like to leak AND they leave black aluminum oxide on your shit because the interiors aren't powder coated ,IIRC. I don't know if they give out dry bags, unlikely, and they are about 150$ more a piece.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.

Snarky screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 09:50 AM
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Urbandrag
KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
They are just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your stuff, they will take it.
+1

I rode under heavy rain conditions several times and it wasn't an issue for my Trax 38 Topcase...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Thumb

Quote:
They are just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your stuff, they will take it. A small 4 or 5 tumbler lock held in with a clip wasn't meant to stop real thieves. The same is also true of pelican cases, BMW trax look alikes, all the plastic givi style cases, ect ect. A big screw driver will get you into all of them.

Great post. Nothing like a good reality check from time to time.

How some expect small, fragile hardware to offer Fort Knox level protection is stunning to say the least.

TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Trax

I have them on the 990 they have been dry and dust free so far but they are pretty light weight.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Hisbikes
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Trax sucky locks

Yeah I just got mine last week and installed the locks. I had to bend the slotted bit in a bit because the plate on the lock didn't reach through the slot so one could unclip the latch even while the lock was locked. Has anyone struggled with getting the bloddy key into the lock, I've spayed some pentrating oil into it but still struggle a good minute or so to get the key in. They came came with dry bags but one got ripped the first day when taking it out of the case due to sharp edges inside the case, not very happy with a $1200 set of cases. They did seem to be dust proof though as we did about 300km's in extremely dusty conditions and no dust inside at all.
Hisbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisbikes View Post
Yeah I just got mine last week and installed the locks. I had to bend the slotted bit in a bit because the plate on the lock didn't reach through the slot so one could unclip the latch even while the lock was locked. Has anyone struggled with getting the bloddy key into the lock, I've spayed some pentrating oil into it but still struggle a good minute or so to get the key in. They came came with dry bags but one got ripped the first day when taking it out of the case due to sharp edges inside the case, not very happy with a $1200 set of cases. They did seem to be dust proof though as we did about 300km's in extremely dusty conditions and no dust inside at all.
All of their locks start out like that. They work in after some use. I wouldn't recommend using oil in the locks. Only use graphite. Oil will gunk them up.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Locks

I have found if you angle the key to get past the locks dust cover they go right in.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Dubl-A
Chauta Fukup

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
They are just to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your stuff, they will take it.

Until they see the 357 about to split their CAN.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Hmm.... I was thinking of a SW-MOTECH top case for my new Tiger, but now you have me wondering. I live in NJ, and sometimes leave my bike parked in Hoboken or parts of NYC. Maybe I should be looking at something like this instead?

I would think the swing-out door may be convienient, but with the bike on it's side-stand, may be hard to keep open while accessing the contents. Should I stick with a top-opening model? Can I fit a helmet in this?

lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote