User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
V-Strom gearing .... Too much??

I have an '07 V-Strom 650. I want to put on a 16T front sprocket, however I'm having some doubts. I know that everyone has said it is wonderful when on the street. I have no doubt it will do just fine when riding around solo and 2-up. My problem is... Will it be too tall for when 2-up touring with all our gear???

The weight should go something like this.....
Combined 2 people plus riding gear - ~ 360lbs
Camping gear and clothes - ~45
Tools - ~15

So figure once riding we will have about 420 - 430 pounds on the bike. I've raised the rear by 1 inch so I'm not worried about clearance. I'm worried that the 16/47 ratio versus the 15/47 ratio will be too tall? It would bring the RPM's down by 500 so it would be 5500 rpm's at 75 vs. 6000 at 75. I'm also wondering how it will affect gas mileage when fully loaded 2-up? Would it be so tall that the more effort at speed would actually use more gas, rather than less?

Any input on this?

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
When I replaced sprockets and chain, I considered lower gearing, not higher.

After study, I went with original ratios.

Given, two up plus gear, higher gearing may not improve mileage but will make the bottom end gutless.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Adding a tooth to the front was not that big of a change at starts and stops. However, was very noticeable at freeway speeds and honestly the way I thought the wee should come from the factory. I did it and was really glad I did.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
I preferred 16T even off road so I doubt it'll be an issue even 2-up.

FYI. The 2012 model I have now it's not so much of an issue, the engine is significantly less buzzy at highway rpms.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Adding a tooth to the front was not that big of a change at starts and stops. However, was very noticeable at freeway speeds and honestly the way I thought the wee should come from the factory. I did it and was really glad I did.
My experience is exactly the opposite.

I thought the most noticeable change when I went up a tooth was slow speed maneuvering and starting out. I could feel the lower torque.

On the highway, it didn't make any difference in riding.

I didn't dislike it, but it made the bike a little harder to control at slow speed and on loose surfaces, and there didn't seem to be any gain. Fuel mileage didn't change.

So... I went back to factory, the way I thought it should be.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 540
if your nervis

in the servis make the rear one a tooth smaller it will have less impact.

I did the 16 tooth front deal and it is way sweeter on the freeway. Even two up.

Around town you gotta get a little more revs at the lights no big deal.

I was doing some mountain fire roads yesterday and it is the first time I thought I may have made a mistake. I had to rev it and use some clutch to get out of trouble. But really even that is NBD.

Also I was going across Kansas a month ago at 115 mph (speedo reado) and it didn't have any more to give. It was no where near redline but it lost its balls. Maybe if I was reving the snot out of it it would have gone faster. If I had a brain cell I coulda downshifted and found out.

Love,

Vermin
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
I have an '07 V-Strom 650. I want to put on a 16T front sprocket, however I'm having some doubts....

Any input on this?
I have a 2012 and I geared down to a 14t. I like it, It gives me better access to the power band in high gears. It does not feel stressed at high speeds. One caveat, my mileage crashes HARD once I start doing 83-90mph for extended periods. I wonder if this is the same for others.

Were it up to me, I'd open the gear range.
1st -15%
2nd-10%
3rd-5%
4th same
5th +2%
6th +7%
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
My experience is exactly the opposite.

I thought the most noticeable change when I went up a tooth was slow speed maneuvering and starting out. I could feel the lower torque.

On the highway, it didn't make any difference in riding.

I didn't dislike it, but it made the bike a little harder to control at slow speed and on loose surfaces, and there didn't seem to be any gain. Fuel mileage didn't change.

So... I went back to factory, the way I thought it should be.

Jamie
Same here, Jamie. I've had three of them; two with stock gearing and an '08 I bought with the 16T installed. The stock gearing just felt 'right' compared to the 16T. Around town with the 15T I could generally run a gear higher and still be in the fat of the power range. On two-lanes I was more likely to feel I needed to downshift to pass with the 16T, and on the slab, it just wasn't that noticeably different. Gas mileage was slightly better on the '08, but it also had a K&N filter, and had the newer two-plug heads; so who knows? If I'd kept the '08 longer, I would have gone back to stock when it was due for a change; and I'll keep it stock if I get another. With stock gearing, I never, ever felt like that smooth little V was overworked or wound too tight. YMMV.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
I upped my front sprocket by 1 tooth and love it, riding single or 2 up
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
Jaeger22
n00b

Oddometer: 6
16 tooth gearing

Let me jump in here. I say it would depend on how you use it. I have 92,000 miles on mine and most of that was road trips loaded often two up. (including 3 coast to coast the long way, FL to Washington State and back) I put on a 16 tooth front 4 or 5 chain sets ago and never went back. It is MUCH better for high speed cruise. At an indicated 80 MPH, true (GPS) 72 MPH, it is running right at 5,000 RPM. At that speed it will run forever with no real strain. And the MPG is slightly better. The down side is when I have to take off from a stop going up hill, riding two up, I do have to slip the clutch a bit more. At that point I would prefer the lower gearing but that is about .1% of the time. The other 99.9% of the time the 16 is fine. So if most of my riding was around town, I would stick with the stock gearing. But for touring, or a lot of super slab, even two up, I would absolutely go to the 16. As always YMMV.
Speaking of mileage, my bike's MPG seems to be effected by speed even more than the V squared law would account for. It may be a fuel map thing in the EFI. Around town, even two up, I get 50 to 52 MPG. On slow back roads around 55 MPH, I still get right at 50 or so. But out on the interstate running 75, it drops as low as 39! Usually around 40 to 42 depending on wind direction and speed.
Jaeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
CAMODUDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I did the 1 up on the front and gained 4 mpg I did notice a small change in pulling out at 70 mph my rpm is 4600-4700 in 6 gear, I'm glad I did it but if you r going 2 up with a load on you mite want to stay with what you have
CAMODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger22 View Post
Let me jump in here. I say it would depend on how you use it. I have 92,000 miles on mine and most of that was road trips loaded often two up. (including 3 coast to coast the long way, FL to Washington State and back) I put on a 16 tooth front 4 or 5 chain sets ago and never went back. It is MUCH better for high speed cruise. At an indicated 80 MPH, true (GPS) 72 MPH, it is running right at 5,000 RPM. At that speed it will run forever with no real strain. And the MPG is slightly better. The down side is when I have to take off from a stop going up hill, riding two up, I do have to slip the clutch a bit more. At that point I would prefer the lower gearing but that is about .1% of the time. The other 99.9% of the time the 16 is fine. So if most of my riding was around town, I would stick with the stock gearing. But for touring, or a lot of super slab, even two up, I would absolutely go to the 16. As always YMMV.
Speaking of mileage, my bike's MPG seems to be effected by speed even more than the V squared law would account for. It may be a fuel map thing in the EFI. Around town, even two up, I get 50 to 52 MPG. On slow back roads around 55 MPH, I still get right at 50 or so. But out on the interstate running 75, it drops as low as 39! Usually around 40 to 42 depending on wind direction and speed.
Thats great fuel milage. I live in the valley at 1400 feet. My girl lives up the mountains at 5000 feet. Its a 30 mile ride with about half of it being freeway, that I cruise at about 75-80 on. I get an average of 46 mpg when I fill up, and that includes riding in the mountains. I've decided to stick with stock gearing for now, and just cruise slower, probably at about 70-75 range.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
I have an '07 V-Strom 650. I want to put on a 16T front sprocket, however I'm having some doubts. I know that everyone has said it is wonderful when on the street. I have no doubt it will do just fine when riding around solo and 2-up. My problem is... Will it be too tall for when 2-up touring with all our gear???

The weight should go something like this.....
Combined 2 people plus riding gear - ~ 360lbs
Camping gear and clothes - ~45
Tools - ~15

So figure once riding we will have about 420 - 430 pounds on the bike. I've raised the rear by 1 inch so I'm not worried about clearance. I'm worried that the 16/47 ratio versus the 15/47 ratio will be too tall? It would bring the RPM's down by 500 so it would be 5500 rpm's at 75 vs. 6000 at 75. I'm also wondering how it will affect gas mileage when fully loaded 2-up? Would it be so tall that the more effort at speed would actually use more gas, rather than less?

Any input on this?
I went with a 15T and lowered the RPMs at 70 by about 500 and still has good low end. When I replaced the chain and sprockets I did the same.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
My experience is exactly the opposite. I thought the most noticeable change when I went up a tooth was slow speed maneuvering and starting out. I could feel the lower torque.
Don't forget the placebo effect.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
I did the change on my first V-Strom and logged all fuel use before and after. There was no difference. I didn't bother on V-Strom #2 even though I have the spare sprocket.

FWIW the SV650 is 15/45 and the more-aerodynamic SV650S is 15/44 compared to the V-Strom 15/47.

16/47 makes the V-Strom the same as the SV650S.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 03:26 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote