Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
I'd buy one of these W800 Special Editions in a heartbeat if they sold 'em Stateside...

gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #62
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Yes, I would be all over that bike like a cheap suit!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #63
Loop OP
Mechanicess from Mar

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for all the kind comments, still enjoying the bike 1,800 miles later, definitely made the right decision with this one.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #64
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
They make a w400, do you have them there?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #65
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I missed my chance to buy a W650, and have not found a single use one for sale in my area for over 10 years. I would take out a second mortgage for that W800. I'm sure the Triumph Bonneville would be cheaper, but this is a case where the copy looks WAY better than the real thing. I used to own a 1966 Bonneville, and was thrilled to here about the new one, until I saw the kinked exhaust and bulbous gas tank, lack of a centerstand and tachometer, and now they have Japanese style megaphone pipes and 17" cast wheels.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #66
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I missed my chance to buy a W650, and have not found a single use one for sale in my area for over 10 years. I would take out a second mortgage for that W800. I'm sure the Triumph Bonneville would be cheaper, but this is a case where the copy looks WAY better than the real thing. I used to own a 1966 Bonneville, and was thrilled to here about the new one, until I saw the kinked exhaust and bulbous gas tank, lack of a centerstand and tachometer, and now they have Japanese style megaphone pipes and 17" cast wheels.
You are right about the copy being closer, but I don't consider the new W800, previous W650 or new Bonneville as all that close to an original say 1966 Bonnie. The W650 I have is close in size but still 50 lbs heavier and the new Bonnie is a half size larger and 100 heavier. While I am firmly attached to my W650, I still appreciate the new Bonnie for its smoothness and comfort. It has evolved in the same way that a new Honda Civic has evolved from earlier ones - larger, heavier and way more comfortable. Good luck finding a W but don't rule out a new-style Bonnie, there are plenty of used ones out there and they make great basic touring bikes.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #67
W650-03
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question For attention of Scrivens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
You might also want to stick a marble in the air injection hose between the cylinders as it causes a lot of popping on the overrun as the air goes into the exhaust. (Sounds similar to a badly leaking exhaust gasket.) Not worth removing all the bits and using block plates, and the EFI requires the air-injection electronic unit under the tank to be connected anyway or the error light will come on.
Hi Scrivens. Have a W650 currently and looking to upgrade to the 800. I did the air-injection immobilisation job on the current bike but would be nervous doing the same on the W800 because of the fuel injection. But you have done this. Can you allay my fears? I was thinking it may have adverse effects on the air-fuel ratio.
W650-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #68
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 693
Nothing wrong with the W60.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #69
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by W650-03 View Post
Can you allay my fears? I was thinking it may have adverse effects on the air-fuel ratio.
No problems there - the air-injection has nothing to do with the EFI performance itself and has no effect on the AFR. The only thing is that unlike the 650 where all the plumbing can be removed, on the 800 you need to leave the electronic 'switch' plugged into the loom, as it is part of the EFI system's initial check and the warning light will stay on if it is removed. The 'switch' is just an electronically operated tap which opens the passage from the airbox to the ports on throttle roll-off. (It's in the middle of the plumbing above the heads, and attached to a horizontal wire retaining piece - it slides off to the right from memory.) I initially removed all the hoses then plugged the inlet/outlet sides of the 'switch' and used thin alloy blocking plates under the 2 exhaust port covers and a rubber plug on the inlet on the joining T-piece.

At some stage I have to take the bike back to the dealer to get the first model's well-known EFI warning light problem fixed, so a few months back I removed all the plugs, replaced and hooked up all the plumbing back to factory operational spec, then used a marble in the hose where it joins the T-piece and put some substantial steel blocking plates in. The thin alloy ones were showing signs of cracking from the heat.

If you are still running the standard unmodified exhausts there's probably not a lot of point in disabling it as it really only helps with modified or after market exhausts where the loud popping on over-run gets a bit annoying. I doubt there's much risk of burnt out valves or blued pipes from leaving it in place as mine had about 10,000km put on it with the system fully working and riding the bike hard and the pipes didn't discolour at all. More's the pity - I like blued headers on a twin.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #70
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post

..... and the pipes didn't discolour at all. More's the pity - I like blued headers on a twin.
Trying for that authentic Triumph look?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #71
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Man, I almost spilled my coffee on my screen when I saw this bike in post # 1.... !! Just beautiful. How does one go about getting Kawasaki to ship them here ? A street protest ? Now I'm not gonna be able to sleep. I can't take it !! My mind is destroyed.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #72
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I'd buy a W800 in a New York minute if Kawasaki would just import it to the States. A perfect modern interpretation of what a real motorcycle is. I was at the International Motorcycle Show two weeks ago, sat on every bike there and the only one that appealed to me was the Bonneville.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #73
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Kawasaki won't send them here, because with the exception of a few fanatics, their is no market for them here. They can't make a profit on a couple hundred bike. Back in '02, the price of a new Vulcan 750 was $1000 lower than the price of a leftover W650, and it was several times the bike. I don't regret buying the Vulcan. But if I had it to do over again, I would have bought the W650. Things are different today, and money is easier to get. I would gladly pay full MSRP for a like new low mileage W650, but there are none for sale.

As for the emissions crap, I removed a 5 gallon bucket full of it from my Vulcan 750. It had 2 separate very complex systems. The CA evap system, and the 50 state air injection system. Both caused serious running and ridability issues, and I couldn't believe how much there was when I got it all off. I had to cap off the reed valve fitting on each head, a vacuum fitting on the rear carb, and plug 2 holes in the airbox. But it runs SO much better.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #74
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Kawasaki won't send them here, because with the exception of a few fanatics, their is no market for them here. They can't make a profit on a couple hundred bike. Back in '02, the price of a new Vulcan 750 was $1000 lower than the price of a leftover W650, and it was several times the bike. I don't regret buying the Vulcan. But if I had it to do over again, I would have bought the W650. Things are different today, and money is easier to get. I would gladly pay full MSRP for a like new low mileage W650, but there are none for sale.

I've been watching this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...orcev4exp=true
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #75
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 460
You never know about Kawi changing their mind on importing the W800 to North Am ... I'll bet Kawasaki will be watching VERY closely at how Honda's CB1100 is received over here ... maybe the market is now ripe to get on-board with the Retro-Standard trend!?