Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Puke Bad Ace WABDR Washington Back country Discovery route, Second ADV is the charm

Day one, 1/2 ish way to Packwood

Well after a bumpy first Motorcycle Adventure I think I have the kinks worked out except for an over abundance of confidence (see my T2 report for further) . I had seen all the video clips of the WABDR with the guys on the big 1200GS and a week prior I ran into a guy who said “A 250!!, you could do it in 2 days” Yea if those big bike boys can do it in 3 days I should be able to “burn through it”. I had bought the map ( BUY THE BUTLER MAP) and planned to do the route with a buddy but he kept moving the dates around so I get this text message at 0709 hrs on a random Wednesday.

Well I have some unexpected time off of work so after stewing about it at noon I get the go ahead from my girlfriend and pack up my crap. Having done one adventure already I had all the stuff and trimmed the fat down to minimum. Hell man some random dude at a gas station told me I could do it in 2 days, he never saw my skills.

I mention I might meet the lady at Mount Rainier on Saturday, with the overabundance of confidence apparently I have no concept on milage and time. Iv’e traveled most of the world solo because I found waiting around on other people to do adventures just doesn't happen; do it solo or don't do it all and stuff usually works out 90% of the time.

I had not ridden the WR250R for a few weeks and it feels like a mountain bike after riding my new to me 09 Weestrom back from Utah then up to Leavenworth Washington and back.

Lets roll folk... Early afternoon 3 pm start ;no since in hanging around here I will get as far as I can before it gets dark . Jump on Hwy 14 on the Washington side from Portland to avoid the Super slap which is a beautiful ride and then traffic jamb on the most beautiful portion of the road.

I cant think of a better place to get stuck in traffic. I walk around and take some pic at the amusement of some of the cagers.

Off to a beautiful start and this is going to be bad ace I believe especially with a real GPS and maps this time. . ( New and improved bigger pictures as requested on the good stuff)

Get as far as trout creek campground in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, awesome camping spot and its a ghost town since it post Labor day. Cook up the freeze dried feast and off to sleep. Great spot if your up that way.

I get a whopping 102 miles and I am happy to be back on an another adventure falling asleep in my tent.

PDX Alamo screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 11:57 PM Reason: Spelling errors
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
TouratechUSA
Made For Adventure

Oddometer: 457
TouratechUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2, Zee German are coming

Up and Oatmeal action to start off, I still need to get the food stuff dialed in. Minimalist packing compromised by deliciousness. Off to my first full day and come across this amazing spot at Takhlakh Lake which was a campground, awesome place. Seriously! That is F’in awesome!!

The first pic is hard to see but it was a thin sheet of water going off the side of the mountain, I was just blown away by the scenery and I live up here but have never seen it like this. No need to muck it up with rambling.... carpet picture bomb commencing

I land in Packwood and eat lunch at a place called Cruisers, the place across the street "Peters Inn" had lots of folks in it but it looked more bar like with a few Harley's so I opted for this place. Wow stink eye from everyone in there and service sucked, I was looking forward to the chats and banter I had through my last trip in Idaho. “Hi there” Old crusty couple looks up ...no anything, copy that sir I should have yelled “B-14 anyone have a Bingo” for some actual recognition. I eat ( which is tasty) in peace and it sounds like a Greek wedding in the kitchen from all the dishes banging around.

Back into the woods please and after some slab I am there, just more amazing country around every turn. Sorry there are no cow collisions or getting lost but this is going so much smoother, the WABDR follks already did the heavy lifting with GPS tracks and maps. Thanks guys. Anyway mo picture time

After my first big peak White Pass I run into ADVbeno on a BMW 650GS stopped looking at his Android tablet trying to figure out the trail, good system but a pain to stop at every turn and pull out the tablet makes sure your on the right trail. I did this with my iPhone in Idaho so I understand the pain. Turns out he is doing the trail solo and his first big trip ; so we decide to team up. He is from Germany and representing it well; BMW and Heidenau K60 tires. He says he doesn't want to hold me up since he just started out riding last year so I explain we both suck at this. He is on a two week vacation and ask what my schedule is , I finish it when I finish it is my response neither of us are in a hurry; I am getting paid by the hour here.

I asked if he had dropped the bike yet? "No ,never have he responds", sorry I jinxed ya brother.

The only real difficult part of the whole trip was Bethel Ridge, which has a easier bypass if you want it, not really difficult but the baby heads and steep incline is a challenge, these were later dubbed moon rocks. We run across two guys from Canada doing the trail North to South and they said these moon rocks aint nothing.

I was glad I wasn't on the 650 and liking my 11.8 inches of ground clearance on my 300 lb bike. I know I know its not the bike its the rider well I need all the help I can get. ADVBeno did a scratch test for his first drop a ways back. Luckily some trail magic occurred and a guy in a truck stopped came by and helped him pick er back up. I waited toward the top for a while and figured something was wrong. I walked down the trail a few to see if I could get a look to where he was at and he dumped the bike on the side as I was getting ready for a picture of him. He was loving the moon rocks. We woke the bike up from its nap after several pics. The BMW was unharmed and doing well. He is handling that bike way better than I could.

Holy moly more amazing views, these were one after the other and it was like that the entire route.

We mistakenly thought Cleman Mountain was Umtatnum Ridge and was the last hard part of the route and were super stoked as we drove on the paved road thinking we were about to land in Ellensburg. WTF as we stared at the intersection back on dirt, we still had another hard part Umtanum Ridge, it was almost dark and there was no way we could do it at this hour. I hate taking bypass routes and easier sections. I believe its hard for a reason and do it as its intended to be done. “Be here now” is phrase I pulled from Deep Survival, awesome book by the way and a must read for any ADV rider . It means plans change and although you don't want to take the bypass you have to. Things change, so its gravel road to Ellensburg. I hope I didn't miss much

Land in Ellensburg after nightfall and find a remodeled Motel 6, it’s ultra modern and like no Motel 6 I have ever been in. By that I mean it was nice ...really really nice. 50 something bucks also. Highly recommend staying there, you will be surprised.

Guy at check in is super friendly and funny; he recommends the “Palace Cafe”. Good eats and I was surprised by downtown , pretty nice place.

After dinner grab a few 24 Oz Horse c$#k beers. The german ADVbeno picks Coors heavy, (thats the original Coors). Coors Heavy? Thats what my dad drinks! so he gives me shit for my Coors lIght. Coors Heavy?? Who drinks that under 60 ...I know its the banquet beer and all but since there was no Spatten or Becks in the horse size it would have to do.

Great day and only one lay down for me where I jacked my wrist, it’s getting fat but Coors Light should bring the swelling down.

My one pair of socks are getting rank so a little dip in the sink and that should keep them from giving me MERSA for now.

Great day, now I hope my riding partner isn't a murderer since we split the room.

136 Miles and loving every turn, even the moon rocks.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
wyoly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The Room

"Great day, now I hope my riding partner isn't a murderer since we split the room"

I am sure your roommate is thinking the same thing
Good start to the trip, can't wait to see more.
wyoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
D-Stylz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Great RR!

Lovin' the commentary! A buddy (Dansrc51) and I did this in early August. It's great reminiscing through your report. Looking forward to the rest. Cheers!

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - Anonymous
D-Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoly View Post
"Great day, now I hope my riding partner isn't a murderer since we split the room"

I am sure your roommate is thinking the same thing
Good start to the trip, can't wait to see more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Stylz View Post
Lovin' the commentary! A buddy (Dansrc51) and I did this in early August. It's great reminiscing through your report. Looking forward to the rest. Cheers!
Glad you guys are enjoying it, motivates me to know people are actually readng it, todays post took 3 f'in hours
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Day 3 Welcome to the Alamo Chumstick

Up and on our way hoping to knock out a section and half today, I talk to my lady and laugh about how I though I would be meeting her in Mount Ranier tomorrow. Off we go and the road to the top of of Lion Creek mountain has a large portion that is paved. Hunters are in full effect and everywhere , wondering if maybe high viz jackets might be in order. I assume since my bike isn't Prius quiet they should be able to figure out I am not a deer. After yesterdays lunar expedition I think we are happy to have smoother roads. One thing I realized and very important to know is that the GPS tracks do not take you to the top of the peaks sometimes. That maybe a slight detour and by slight I mean maybe a 1/2 mile or mile. These are not to be missed so make sure you venture off the path you wont regret it. You hear that .....air raid sirens? Yup pic bombs dropping

Smooth sailing today just beautiful country and amazing riding , no wrecks no drama to quote the ADV legend LittleWan “The trail givith , the trail taketh away” I suppose this was a givith day. A little bump in the road with the closed Mission creek route, luckily trail magic occurred and somehow I had cell service and was able to look up the ADV post on that closure. The garmin routable maps on my Oregon also routed a work around by Beehive reservoir. Stopped for lunch in Cashmere a cool little town and grabbed some pizza.

Now on our way to Chumstick mountain and it is was awesome, not to mention I have a new word to use around stupid folks, “Hey chumstick what the hell ya doin” Nice ring don't you think? One more thing, we rode to the top of chumstick peak and found a giant pile of nails and screws piled around the brass peak marker. Watch your tires, maybe just walk up there. Anyhow pics are worth a thousand words so this chumstick will zip it.

Making our way into Ardenvoir we made a wrong turn toward the end and came out on French Corral road at the intersection of NFS 5700. Lucky we did otherwise we wouldn't have found the best camping spot of the whole trip “The Alamo”.

I called it the Alamo that since It had an old root cellar and stone walls on the property ; it was right along the Mad River also. It was a huge area and blocked by rocks to keep out cars and I would have never though it to be a camping spot if not for the “No campfires sign”.

It was a huge spot and not on the map, I was hoping some other ADV riders would swing by as there was enough room for a dozen. Anyway it’s not on the map but here are the GPS coordinates 47.74875666 -120.394555 if your in the area. It’s also close enough to run into town and grab a 6pack of tall boy beers. Since you have the river ( camp fridge) your beers stay nice and cold.

The next day we learned from the owner of the cafe it was a house for a timber man named Charles Gray but the house burned down. So maybe instead of the Alamo call it, Charley’s house. I Took a picture out of a book about the history of the spot and ol Charley if your interested.

Glad to be back camping, Kokanee and freeze dried gourmet now that’s livin son and after 117 miles river chilled Kokanee taste mighty fine.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Glad you guys are enjoying it, motivates me to know people are actually readng it, todays post took 3 f'in hours
PDX A!!
Sorry I'm late to sign in, I suck.
Been too busy to read other RRs, barely taking care of my own sh*t.

Thanks for making the pics bigger, they're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Since you have the river ( camp fridge) your learning juice stays nice and cold.

OK, on with the report....
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Olybear
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the RR. I hope to do this ride next year since it's in our backyard. What a great NW summer for riding.
Olybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
G-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Tell me about the Mission Creek re-route. Where did you find it? Is it because of a washout I heard about?

I'm planning on doing the ride as soon as there is some rain and the fires go out.
G-ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Love it...all pics of my back yard, but still great to see em on here.

In fact, we just camped at Takhlakh Lake last weekend, its amazing how you feel as though you could just reach out and touch Mt Adams from the lake...its so close it looks like a painting.

I never tire of looking at our fantastic scenery...thanks for the report.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Good stuff, makes me want to go out and see if for myself.

Subscribed
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Beehive reroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-ree View Post
Tell me about the Mission Creek re-route. Where did you find it? Is it because of a washout I heard about?

I'm planning on doing the ride as soon as there is some rain and the fires go out.
I just had Garmin route it, there may be a much better re route as this one is mainly pavement, just take beehive road to the county road and take a left, here is a pic of the map, just click on it for a bigger one. Hope that helps. Thanks to all for the nice props, now on with the report.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Day 4, Leaving Paradise? Not just yet

Off to the Coopers General Store for breakfast and downtown Ardenvoir, dont get lost.

We headed uptown and found Coopers Cafe, the lady running it said a lot of the WABDR riders help pay the bills in the summer because there main source is in the Winter for snowmobilers. Nice lady and she showed us the book talking about our camp spot, help support the businesses. Good folks here, I suggested she put up a WABDR map and have people sign it or pin a map where they are from. Curious if that happens, the store had a few of the butler maps for sale as well.

Ok back to the dirt and to Lake Chelen, no drama just good roads and great views, stole a few of ADVbeno’s pics here

In that pic you can see my almost bald POS trail wing tire, what a f'in joke. I have now upgraded to a real tire the Dunlop 606.

The section that says “Overgrown but passable” , its overgrown but I thought it was fun since I felt like I was going someplace a car wasn't going to pop out of.

Lake Chelan was gorgeous but I would rather be back in the woods, so on to what we hoped would be Carlton. Just up and over two peaks.

Made it to Carlton and grabbed some learning juice from the fancy general store, rustic on the outside but remodeled on the inside with organic food and wine, interesting place. Anyhow off into the forrest a few miles up the road and found a spot near a camp refrigerator with tons of cow poop but thats the best we were going to get. As we were setting up the sky was turning red and I told the ADVbeno “Red sky at night sailors delight, means its going to rain” luckily it rained because I was talking out my ass.

Only night of rain the whole trip, tomorrow last final push to Canada and unlike Taco Bell when you make a run for the border here it better be before 5:00 pm because it closes.

131 Miles and a few more to go
Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 255
great stuff more please
linksIT is online now   Reply With Quote