User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
fuel filtration system in or below fuel cap for KTM, BMW and others

Patented Tank Fuel Filters system for most modern bikes, such as KTM, BMW, Aprilia, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, you name it

The system is covered by patent and allows a complete and safe fuel filtration while refueling.

Apart from KTM, most of modern bikes DO NOT have a fuel filter which can be replaced if clogged. BMW has a record for this, you can only change the whole fuel pump assembly in all new models.

Here below some BWM filters, on the left the KL 0433, used outside the tank (!!!! Alluminium??) on RT and ST 1200, in the middle KL 145, used on all 1100-1150, both had to be changed, BMW spec, every maximum 40.000 km, on the right the KL 315, same size as the KL 0433, but cannot be changed, once clogged, new fuel pump set, 450/500 bucks just the part

Furthermore, modern EFI bikes are more sensitive to badly contaminated fuel,

Carburetors bike have no problem digesting particles up to 40/60 micron, but modern EFI system work, at injector, with smaller contaminants, around 5-10 microns, therefore filtration has become an issue.

To keep the whole tank clean is the key to avoid expensive reparation, reduce risk during travel and spoil rides and fun.

Here a filter which has worked only in Italy, Arezzo and Siena, less than 14.000 km, 20 microns, on a EFI bike, say a KTM 990/1190/1290 having all these bike the same filter/pump set-up, it would have fully clogged the prefilter and paper filter either stopping the bike during a ride, or forcing an early filter change, in Italy using original components is 73euros for the filter set and 40 euros for the two pump o-rings.

here my prepump design filter after a 8.000 km ride through albania, macedonia, bulgaria romania, normal petrol stations, no bottle or canister/jar refuelling, look how much the filter had to withstand

As for the filter set our inmate Gefr has a solution, as for the o-rings, I can provide a complete set or a travel companion, below the composition and prices.

To test the filters I had many bikes and protos running around the world, and the lab tests were run at the Special Fuel Dpt of the Wroclaw “Polytecnika Institute” ( Polish Wrocław University of Technology, famous for it’s advanced studies in fuel evolution) to check results and material specifications.

To achieve the best filtration and allow anyway a good refueling speed, alla filters are multi layer based, using special medias and design, ranging from 20 microns high speed flow to 0 microns high filtration.

The technology used replies the 3d filtering concept used in the latest filter cartridges and filter aggregates in the transport and Avio industry in order to trap the finest particles not only through direct filtering ( mono layer design) but also while the petrol has to flow around fibers/material and different layer having the particles removed from the petrol and trapped between the fibers and labyrinths, allowing also a better fuel flow than through a simple membrane since the filtering surface is multiplied by the 3d design,
Also the clogged area (mono layer paper impregnated filter) will not be a problem anymore since the petrol can flow in the 3d design, this meaning that the filter will be easier to clean even after being heavily loaded by contaminants.
All our filters can be washed and reused without limits, are big and will take a lot of abuse, both mechanical and chemical.
Accordingly to the shape of the tank, filters have specific design and properties, for example ADV 1190, SMR,.

A plus to this design is that from now on nothing can fall inside the tank even while leaving the cap open for some work on the bike

The 20 microns high flow speed, say for example for the KTM 950 ADV, have almost the same refueling speed like with no filter.

All other 20 microns design will be 20% slower than without filter but filter capacity is better than KTM pre-pump KTM filter (40microns approx.) and BMW pump strainer (60 microns approx.) thus blocking a lot of contaminants which would clog it all.
The 0 micron are by 20% slower but filtration capacity is 0 microns being far more efficient than for example the mini paper filter at KTM Pump, approx between 5 and 10 microns like all modern IE fuel system requires.

As for the 0 micron filtration, I have been asked how is that possible, I hope I will be able to explain it wit my poor English.

There are various norms used to evaluate filtration capabilities and efficiency, in our lab test they use the for example the ISO16889, multipass which can test between 4 and 25 microns, and for the other tests, using a ceramic porous cartridge rated for 0,85 microns and than measuring against test material, how much of it was blocked by the various media we were testing J in one single passage.

The tests are made in order to check all materials blocked which is bigger than the filtering spec, below the referred number, particles will flow unharmed.

Testing in multipass (meaning the same fluid is filtered many times through the same membrane) is valid for filter units in most application, the same fuel will pass many times in the filter while being circulated via pump/pressure regulator to the injectors, but I was not satisfied since at filler neck it will go through only once.

The 20 micron, for example for KTM 1190/1290, ADV and SD, tested against both method, resulted in a 75% block of 10 microns and 95% block of 20 microns, thus I refer to it as the 20 micron filter.

The 20 micron high flow, say for example for KTM ADV 950, tested against only the first method 85% single pass retention,

The 0 micron was tested only with the 0,85 micron prefiltered suspension, resulting in 93% retention, thus the 0 micron name.

In multipasses they would both perform much much better, but I must use materials that will work best while being used the way they fit best the design, not the lab analysis J

The design and shape changes slightly accordingly to the tank cap

Some big filler necks, such as BMW K and new GS LC, will also allow the use of Acquastop units, which will separate water, contaminants and save also the neck fuel filter during dangerous refueling, say from a bottle in the middle of nowhere on the road J

The acquastop membrane series can only be rinsed with petrol and will have a limited lifespan accordingly to the level and quantity of highly contaminated fuel you will filter with, but we talk anyway of tens of thousands of km anyway.

Here some examples

KTM 990/950 ADV

KTM ADV Safari TT tanks, or IMS, or Clarke for other bikes

KTM 1190/1290 ADV and SADV, SD

BMW K 1300

BMW 1200 GS LC

BMW 1200/800 old fuel cap design

BMW 1100 GS 1150 GS, RT, K, S, ST

0 micron XXXL proto, usually due to the shape of the tank we prefer to use the 20 micron Revolution

Prices

KTM 990 EFI 0 microns (PAIR) shipped 55 euros, Australia 60 euros (10 euros for Safari TT/IMS/Clarcke adapters)

KTM 950 20 microns high flow (PAIR) shipped 45 euros, Australia 50 euros (10 euros for Safari TT/IMS/Clarcke adapters)

BMW 0 microns, all Bikes, 45euros shipped, Australia 50 euros

BMW 20 microns Revolution, all Bikes 1100-1150 where the 0 micron won’t fit due to tank shape, 45euros shipped, Australia 50 euros

KTM 1190/1290 ADV, SADV, SD 20 microns Revolution, 45euros shipped, Australia 50 euros

KTM 990 SMT/SMR 20 microns Revolution special design, 50 euros shipped, Australia 55 euros

Aprilia Tuono/Caponord 20 microns Revolution, 45euros shipped, Australia 50 euros

o-rings to be ordered with filter (saving shipping costs)

Product
Includes
N
Cost (€)
Comments
Shipping
O-ring kit n 1 full set plus spare for the road , radial plus fuel hose quick disc.
US
EU
qta
mm
5-703
1x
65,09x3,53
2-142
2x
59,99x2,62
2-10
2x
6,07x1,78
2-11
2x
7,65x1,78
2-129
1x
39,35x2,62
2-123
1x
29,82x2,62

12€
Fits KTM Adventure 1190, 1190R, 1290 SADV, SD, all 990
Included in filter order
O-ring kit n , travel kit for emergency chek and wash
US
EU
qta
mm
5-703
1x
65,09x3,53
2-142
2x
59,99x2,62
2-10
6,07x1,78
2-11
2x
7,65x1,78
2-129
39,35x2,62
2-123
29,82x2,62

10€
Fits KTM Adventure 1190, 1190R, 1290 SADV, SD, all 990
Included in filter order

Mounting is fairly simple

BMW, dismount the fuel cap, and accordingly to it’s design, insert the fuel cap inside the filter, use the extra length wire too loop through the vent holes, or mount it below the fuel level clip or drill 1 hole in the plastic neck and pass the steel wire through it, or mount the neck around the steel cap fixing it with the wire (all 1100-1150 and early 1200)

For other types, such as KTM and Aprilia for example, simply dismount the cap, drill two, three holes at the bottom of the fuel cap, say 25mm from lower lip, mount the filter and fix it with wire through the media e the hole.

Make sure the filter will not impede the seal to close properly,

Orientation for the KTM 990

Orientation for the KTM 1190/1290 all

Orientation for 990 SD and SMR/SMT

This is the result after a simply drilling job at tank cap below the key, so that you can lock the cap with the filter in position and for filter cleaning you only have to remove the 3 screw and lift all of it off the tank

in case you have other questions or proto, I ma here :)

should you decide to purchase or ask about more info please contact me at guglatech@gmail.com

thank folks

ciaps

guglemonster screwed with this post 04-02-2015 at 02:48 AM Reason: it won't allow me to edit it, it rewrote the whole topic :(
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

here the Tests I run while checking :)

I played a bit in the garage with highly contaminated petrol derived from the cleaning and tank service of three bikes using fuel injection cleaning solvent (whynn’s is my favorite) 150ml in 3 liters of petrol instead of the regular 40/60ltr.

The contamination is really heavy, debris, fine particles, solved contaminants and dark in colour.
At first I tryed the mono layer design so popular nowadays using a 30 micron monolayer mesh (100microns-30 microns -100 microns in order to make it stronger, my design)

Filtered less than half the liter, not even dirty, petrol was the one on the surface not the one at the bottom.

Same petrol just filtered was passed through a 20/30 micron multilayer (100 microns-high density 3d mesh sandwich-100 microns for strength), just after the same amount of petro the filter already shows traces of contaminants trapped in the mesh

To go on with the experiment, all was passed again in the 0 micron (old shape/design) and again the difference is .

The petrol is a light shade less dark, but the high content of solvent and solved carbon contaminants make the petro like ink
The rest of the 3 liters were first filterd with the 20/30 micron and than through a 0 micron acquastop membrane .. and again the difference is amazing

At the end of the 3 liters.
20-30 micron filter

Turned the filter inside-out to check the contamination

0 micron acquastop filter

All the macro pieces would have being stopped by a single layer filter (25 o 50 micron) too, but as for the rest ..... no way jose

After that, passed the petrol through 4 strata of paper

It makes you proud

In case of the std 20/30 microns or 0 micron NON acquastop, a special extreme ride membrane can be added in the cap itself, it will stay below the cap, will stop anything and also water permanently, can be removed without dismounting anything and emptied from water or high contamination

Unfortunately it slows down the refueling, but is simply unbeatable in case of the worst petrol you may find in Africa, USSR or similar countries.

If you have any questions write to me, I’ll try my best to answer your doubts

Guglatech @gmail.com

Hope you were not too much bored by my enthusiasm and paranoia fixing attitude

Ciaps

Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hallo everybody :)

after 3 weeks of testing, Im proud to announce e new patented media for the KTM ADV 990 EFI.

the 0 micron will always be the best solution to preserve filters ad pump, but some of my customers would like a faster filter for URBAN everyday use :)

so be it :)

the Evolution is the same as for the KTM 950 high flow 20 micron, here we have a 10 micron High flow for the 990 EFI KTM ADV

9 liters in less than 45 seconds, washabel, and cheaper than the extreme 0 micron

the filter price (PAIR) shipped 45 euros, Australia 50 euros (10 euros for Safari TT/IMS/Clarcke adapters)

I am at the moment testing the same patented media also on other bikes, hope to be able to report same or even better success :)

have fun

ciaps

Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

praise to KAG

KAG, you're the best, and I love your DOG ahahhah

here's a video where Kag was so kind to explain how to mount the filter on the
KTM ADV 1190, same system for the KTM SADV 1290 and KTM SD 1290.

I would recommend to take off the fairing, just to avoid tools to scratch it, like it happened to me on a Honda

as for the rest it's just perfect

Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM   #5
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

answer to syzygy9 filter topic in the 990 area

original thread and questions to be found here

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I guess so - I wouldn't want to drink it, bath in it, pour it over my garden, feed it to my dog or pour it down the sink but very happy to run it through the cylinders of my 990.

My car is a diesel (unfortunately) so can't run the used fuel through the car and don't want to burn it in a metropolitan area.

I appreciate some of the great advice but it appears that washing the tanks in water, thoroughly rinsing, let thoroughly dry and put a little metho through after drying to take out any remaining drops should be okay. There doesn't seem to be any unforseen "you will destroy your bike" type consequences that I can ascertain. The tanks are off the bike with all caps and pumps, etc, taken out so lots of venting to the atmosphere and in a warm dry environment.

guglemonster - I am very interested in your fuel filter socks and am currently weighing these up against the profill (for which there is very little actual filtering information)- I am running the Safari tanks and I assume from your pricing E50 + postage to Aus for these which includes the adapters. How does one order these from you? I am about to replace the in-tank KTM fuel filters so will be able to better judge how much of an issue dropping crap into my tank really is (mostly from refuelling in remote locations, refuelling from cans and bladders) - if the filters are clean I guess it isn't much of an issue, but I will know more soon.

hallo syzygy9,

I was using the early version of the profil and had some very slow refuelling time with not such a great filtering efficiency, that is why I had to make my own filter and patent it :)

price for the 0 micron, safari fuel cap adapters included, for Australia is 70 euros shipment included.

should you revert to std tanks, the same filter can be mounted below the fue cap.

the 50 euros refers either to the 20microns for the ADV 950, or 10 micron for the ADV 990 Urban

taking into consideration that the prefilter works at roughly 40 microns and the paper jimmick beteen 5 and 10, I recommend for long trip in remote areas the 0 micron, to be combined eventually with acquastop membranes, also 0 micron.

the main reason for havin, so many filtering media derives from the refuelling speed, 20 microns are fast, 10 also, 0 micron is the slowest.

it' also true that the Safari big refuelling cap and big tank space, not twisted like the original tanks, allows for a much faster refueling time.

I can also send o-rings should you need them to overhaul the pump

should you be interested, please send me an email at guglatech@gmail.com

thanx

ciaps

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,668
I just received mine. Thank you. I'm going to install it this weekend and try to take a photo.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #7
guglemonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hallo GB, happy it arrived, any issue?

let me know if the mounting will be as smooth as on the prototype we did in Italy :)

thanx again for the support :)

ciaps