Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I wish I lived close enough to be a tester
Aren't you in the naked pueblo? A place I frequent regularly. I'll bring one to the Red Garter when I have one available.

craftycoder screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 02:05 PM
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Here are a couple of things I'm interested in for my bikes in addition to controlling aux lights and heated gear.

The first relates more to the GS-style control of power before/after a start or shutdown. I've got an old Honda CB and I'd like the headlight and anything else that isn't required for a startup to be turned on after the bike is up and running. So something like turn the key on and start or kick the bike over, then the PDU is notified that the bike is running and it turns on my headlights, tail lights, and whatever else.

I think this may be nice for those types of bikes where if your battery is shot and you need to kick start it the juice goes to both the ignition and lights etc, when you really want it to go just to getting the engine fired. The 640A and E come to mind, among others in this respect.

Another is having an idea of how much power you are using vs what your bike can reliably deliver. The PDU can keep track of what it is distributing, and compare to a number that you are comfortable with. If you get close to or cross that threshold, it can act according to your preferences. Like turn down your heated jacket a bit or whatever.

I like that this could go on completely in the background. Like when I coast up to a stop light and the bike is under an electrical load but it isn't pumping out enough juice. The pdu dials back the load temporarily and then goes back to where I had it once the light goes green.

LOTS of stuff we can do with this sort of tech.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #18
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
That's an impressive list of features, definitely be interested, how big would it be? I may have missed that, the fuse box I run now (Eastern Beaver) is pretty small.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #19
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The current dimension of the PDU prototype is 3.5" x 2.25" The thickness will be around .5". The cards extend that height to about an 1".

The Bluetooth radio is a secondary part that plugs into the PDU and is not yet sized but it won't be large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
That's an impressive list of features, definitely be interested, how big would it be? I may have missed that, the fuse box I run now (Eastern Beaver) is pretty small.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,167
I'd be in for two or three in a heartbeat.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
mikemaycga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
definitely interested. Kick starter is a good way to go as well.

My key issue is where to mount the box. There is no where on the bike that is dry but the real issue on the 800GS is finding a spot that is protected. Epoxy sounds good, but there is a coating for electronics that made a brief buzz on the iphone forums. the coating protects the device even when submersed in a fish tank. That might be cool (if if works)
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #22
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Aren't you in the naked pueblo? I place I frequent regularly. I'll bring one to the Red Garter when I have one available.

PM sent...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Wow. Really impressive list of features.

I currently have an Easter Beaver fuse panel, a Skene LED controller and volt meter.

I think it's a great idea, and the only thing that will limit sales would be the cost. It obviously has more parts (and capabilities) than a the other high quality fuse blocks on the market; will the cost be similar? Double? x5?

Keep the updates coming!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Rough estimate of costs.

The PDU will be in the $150 to $200 range I think. The cards range in the $15-$35 range depending on function. The Bluetooth module will be $75-100. The handle mounted multi-function computer will be more. It can't be cheap, but will be wicked cool. In order to build them we'll need to spend a lot of dough though. The tooling to build the first one will be around $25,000 (that's for the circuit board and epoxy encapsulation). That is certainly a challenge to overcome, but a worthy challenge for a worthy project.

We are in the middle of long term testing. Lonestrom will post up some photos of his testing rig soon I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Wow. Really impressive list of features.

I currently have an Easter Beaver fuse panel, a Skene LED controller and volt meter.

I think it's a great idea, and the only thing that will limit sales would be the cost. It obviously has more parts (and capabilities) than a the other high quality fuse blocks on the market; will the cost be similar? Double? x5?

Keep the updates coming!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
A lot of these features are available on this product which has been on the market for over a year:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657988

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Sure enough, never saw that before. Mine will be considerably smaller than that one (but only 40A as well). It certainly has the significant advantage of being available for purchase.

The expandable card system we have and the programmability are a significant upgrade in terms of feature set... It's nice to know we are not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
A lot of these features are available on this product which has been on the market for over a year:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657988

-dman
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I'm going to purchase teh Dispatch 1, unless you have a plan to bring yours to market soon. Can you give us a sense of yoru timing?

thanks!
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
I'm going to purchase teh Dispatch 1, unless you have a plan to bring yours to market soon. Can you give us a sense of yoru timing?

thanks!
Not soon enough for you. Have a great trip!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #29
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
I guess that is a genuine problem. There are more folks out there that are smart enough to invent stuff, but if you can't get it on to the market in time, your chances remain slim anyway. It just needs a company to not only invent, but prototype, test, produce and market in short amounts of time.
Simplyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It's about money and time. If I have $15K and 200 hours to toss at this I'd have it ready to go. I have a shortage of focus. It doesn't really bother me though. I've got mouths to feed and keeping FFs in new toys is about my 6th priority. That said, a winning lottery ticket would go a long way to making this a reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I guess that is a genuine problem. There are more folks out there that are smart enough to invent stuff, but if you can't get it on to the market in time, your chances remain slim anyway. It just needs a company to not only invent, but prototype, test, produce and market in short amounts of time.