Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #406
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Hey Crafty you seem to be gitting some bad input from the people on "TriumphRat.net" . Only 4 replys so far maybe some people just don't like change.

Salty.
sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #407
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I'm always on ST-Owners & haven't seen a post about this on there. I posted on a thread about a similar fuse block referencing this one. Guess I'll just have to look harder.....
Here you go.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124172
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #408
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 199
and 2 more

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-e...tml#post554660
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...63#post1180363
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #409
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Was thinking of linking to the Horizons Unlimited forum but since it may be considered "commercial" I don't know. Since they have a 4 wheeled forum maybe its a good place to start a thread crafty.
I'm the last person who should be doing it. Anyone else can post a thread about a cool bit a kit EXCEPT for the guy who makes it. If you can post about a motorcycle or GPS you like, then you can post about this. You can post about how stupid it is and how you would never introduce this level of complexity to such a vital system OR you can post about how interesting this new technology promises to be. That is your call.

I ran into this problem with dualsportmaps.com as well. I had a thread here detailing the development of the site and collaborating with inmates on new features and such, much like this one. Even here at ADV after about 8 months (and dozens of pages) on the Laying Down Tracks forum a Mod decided to push it to Vendor because he thought somehow I must be making money on it when it is, in fact, free to use and costs about $18K a year to keep online for all y'all to use. I'm still sore about that but his point was that he couldn't tell the difference between a site that is a public utility like DSM and one that is for profit and so it had to go. I couldn't really argue, all I could do is vote with my feet and kill the thread.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #410
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
Hey Crafty you seem to be gitting some bad input from the people on "TriumphRat.net" . Only 4 replys so far maybe some people just don't like change.

Salty.
A lot of people are ultra conservative when it comes to reliability on their motorcycles. We are exposed outside the cage so that is not a bad policy, really. Ignorance about the reliability of semiconductors is also common. One of the microcontrollers I am using in this design was introduced in May of 1980. That may sound old, and it is, but that also implies reliable. If that chip design sucked it would have been replaced a generation ago.

The PDU is designed to be robust. These are EXACTLY the kinds of systems used in places like satellites that require ULTRA reliability. If you used fuses in space, who is going to change it? No one! So, when someone makes a snarky comment about reliability, perhaps mention that billion dollar satellites use this exact same kind of tech because when you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY need a circuit to be reliable in the long term, you want to use electronics. I do not want to suggest that this particular PDU was designed with space level reliability in mind, because it wasn't. This is a terrestrial only device. Still, I have high expectations of a long a glorious service life. There are NO parts in this design that are expected to wear out. It will take a while to get skeptics to come to our side of the fence. Some never will. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #411
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The website traffic continues to prove you guys are out there telling your people. Thanks so much!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #412
patobravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I heard the Husky Terra is using solid state circuit breakers, if true this is the first I've heard of solid state breakers being used by the OEM on a bike I'm actually interested in, it's a long time in coming. BTW, not too long ago to achieve the required reliability the fusing used in remote sensing instruments (LANDSAT, GOES...) was two fuses , one with a series diode and the other by itself in parallel with the fuse/diode combo. This was because fuses actually wear with use so if the first fuse blew due to wear the second one would take over, albeit at one diode drop less voltage. This still surprises me to this day. That and all decoupling caps were actually two in series since the typical failure mechanism was a short, if one croaked it wouldn't short the whole rail.

patobravo screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 10:26 AM
patobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #413
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by patobravo View Post
I heard the Husky Terra is using solid state circuit breakers, if true this is the first I've heard of solid state breakers being used by the OEM on a bike I'm actually interested in, it's a long time in coming. BTW, not too long ago to achieve the required reliability the fusing used in remote sensing instruments (LANDSAT, GOES...) was two fuses , one with a series diode and the other by itself in parallel with the fuse/diode combo. This was because fuses actually wear with use so if the first fuse blew due to wear the second one would take over, albeit at one diode drop less voltage. This still surprises me to this day. That and all decoupling caps were actually two in series since the typical failure mechanism was a short, if one croaked it wouldn't short the whole rail.
That last comment about the caps is great idea I had not considered. Tantalum caps do tend to short if they fail. I'll look into this as a design mod.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #414
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 199
I recently bought a lighting controller to control my ADVMonster LEDs that uses a single signal wire to set 3 different illumination levels. Connect it to +12 V you get level 1, connect it to ground you get level 2 and disconnect it you get level 3. Is this sort of functionality possible with your unit?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #415
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcollect View Post
I recently bought a lighting controller to control my ADVMonster LEDs that uses a single signal wire to set 3 different illumination levels. Connect it to +12 V you get level 1, connect it to ground you get level 2 and disconnect it you get level 3. Is this sort of functionality possible with your unit?
Yep, that is what the Inputs do. Except that the outcome is completely up to you. Watch the video about the input programming.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #416
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

REPOST

Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #417
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Thank you! We had an eight fold increase in traffic at the website yesterday. That was all you guys. Keep it up! I'm ready for another eight fold increase today.
I haven't seen this- I'm sure you'll feel free to prove me wrong...

One feature I'd like at some round of updates is warning if system drops below a defined point. That might be a hardware change, though (tri-color LED, on a lead perhaps, that doesn't require any BT device to see)

Another is priority (0-8) of automagic shutdown of circuits to attempt to maintain system voltage. ( 8 means "shut this off first", 7 means "shut this off next", 0 means "never shut this off automatically")

I may be selling my KLR, but the elderly BMW replacing it doesn't have much more in the way of alternator capacity...

dwoodward screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:46 PM Reason: my thoughts were incomp *SQUIRREL!*
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #418
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I have drivers for a couple multi color LEDs on the board. I just could not conceive of a good enough use case to pull them off the board and add the significant cost to the project for a LED pigtail. I couldn't find a standardized waterproof panel mount LED on a long wire with a waterproof connector. It's the little details that seriously add up.

The automagic priority stuff is essentially built in. Right now, I've got it setup for system wide over current conditions allowing you to prioritize which circuits shut off. Assume you want to allow the PDU to source no more than 40A, you can tell it that circuit 6 and then 4 and then 8 and then 1 need to shut off until it falls below 40A. It wouldn't be a big deal to do the same thing for voltage as well. Everything is in place it would essentially be a modest firmware change. I already allow you to set a low voltage point. Currently. if you fall below that number I buzz your phone. If you fall below that I could trigger the same logic to shut down circuits as the over-current shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I haven't seen this- I'm sure you'll feel free to prove me wrong...

One feature I'd like at some round of updates is warning if system drops below a defined point. That might be a hardware change, though (tri-color LED, on a lead perhaps, that doesn't require any BT device to see)

Another is priority (0-8) of automagic shutdown of circuits to attempt to maintain system voltage. ( 8 means "shut this off first", 7 means "shut this off next", 0 means "never shut this off automatically")

I may be selling my KLR, but the elderly BMW replacing it doesn't have much more in the way of alternator capacity...
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #419
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The automagic priority stuff is essentially built in. Right now, I've got it setup for system wide over current conditions allowing you to prioritize which circuits shut off. Assume you want to allow the PDU to source no more than 40A, you can tell it that circuit 6 and then 4 and then 8 and then 1 need to shut off until it falls below 40A. It wouldn't be a big deal to do the same thing for voltage as well. Everything is in place it would essentially be a modest firmware change. I already allow you to set a low voltage point. Currently. if you fall below that number I buzz your phone. If you fall below that I could trigger the same logic to shut down circuits as the over-current shutdown.
Maybe control for a circuit that came on when voltage exceeded certain limits- say outside 11.5-15.0VDC- On a bike, it could turn on a warning lamp; on a boat or in an RV, it could cause a generator to start...

Of course I'm sure there are already devices to do that, but since you're building a Swiiss Army Gatling Gun here...

Pushback on the LDRider list was similar to others- that it's a lot of technology to fail, small company so obvioiusly not experienced, and if it failed, fear, pain, death, etc.

In reality, someone wouldn't get their certificate or possibly lose points in a rally while they worked around it- just as if what should be a rock-simple final drive design from a major European manufacturer were to shit the bed- which not only happens with dismaying frequency, but the resulting loss of gear oil and/or actual FIRE could be, in fact, life threatening. Yet BMW is still popular with that crowd. Go figure.

dwoodward screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 04:54 PM
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #420
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
If I had a circuit that came on when voltage dropped below a certain level, that could be useful. On a bike, it could turn on a warning lamp; on a boat or in an RV, it could cause a generator to start...
That is a good idea. Allowing circuits to turn on as a result of a low voltage condition. I think that one is going into the design.