Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #106
spoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I am in for one of the smart versions. How do I sign up.

spoon
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #107
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
I am in for one of the smart versions. How do I sign up.

spoon
When the are ready to sell, I promise it won't be a secret.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #108
tdcarter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
t when you need it, you really need it.

I need it.
. I need it!!!

Happy to test a final prototype

16 for the hour commute this morning made me reconsider why I only have 2 channels of heated gear on the bike. Might be time to break out the socks and finish some heated pants.

T

tdcarter screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 02:09 PM
tdcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #109
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I am in.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #110
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Updates

Hey y'all, I've got some updates on the development progress. The redesigned 8 channel board has been ordered and should arrive late this week I believe. Assuming it works, I will write up the firmware to do circuit breaking and constant current as well as voltage measurement as all that. The next step is creating a iPhone app that covers the basic functions and allows for programming the unit. Then, more bench testing followed by on road testing.

The single channel is moving right along as well. The "final" version of the boards are currently on the bench being tested. They are working perfectly. No issues at all. I've wired them up every conceivable WRONG way and they have not yet broken or caused a fire (YMMY). Running it at 19A, which is 4A above the nominal current load (of 15A), is well within its capability which is nice but again not advised. With a "normal" load of 2 headlight bulbs the device runs warms 2 degrees above room temp (which is how we measure it's strain). This is a very low number and very inspiring.

Now for the bad news, its the Chinese new year and our off shore supplier is closing for February (I wish I got a month off for new year). We did not get an order in for new single channel boards in time, so lonestrom and I are going to have to build the next batch of prototypes ourselves. We only have enough parts to build 16 more instead of the 50 though. We will build them up, epoxy them, and then get them in the mail to distributors ASAP (in hopes of inspiring orders for product). We expect to have the single channels available for purchase by April (assuming no surprises).

The ETA for the 8 channel bluetooth PDUs is still up in the air. If the hardware I receive on Friday is good, April is possible but seems unlikely to me. Too many questions still unanswered, not the least of which is how do I fund the building of the first round of devices? Stay tuned...

Some images of the single channel being built. The grey stuff in the top photo is solder paste and bottom photo is what they look like after the parts are placed and they are cooked in the reflow oven.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #111
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
It's looking great.

Will you have an Android app too?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #112
tdcarter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
It's looking great.

My response exactly.
Looks wonderful and sign me up for pre-round funding, but can I use it with my Droid?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #113
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Great question. I expect to. There is no DIRECT support for bluetooth 4 in Android currently. I happen to have a Motorola RAZR with BT4 and I have done some basic tests which make me believe it will work on my phone. I need to use libraries that are written for the specific phone though, which is pretty annoying and not very Android like. There are also hardware libraries available for the bluetooth Broadcom chipset in the Nexus 7 and other similar devices. This means that whatever Android software I write will have to be specific to the hardware in the device which makes it a rather unattractive thing for me, the developer. I use a RAZR, so obviously I want to use this on my phone so you can expect support of that device. I certainly expect Google to support BT 4 in the future though, so it just a bit of a waiting game to see how this bleeding edge tech get supported, and when.

Quote:
It's looking great.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #114
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Great question. I expect to. There is no DIRECT support for bluetooth 4 in Android currently. I happen to have a Motorola RAZR with BT4 and I have done some basic tests which make me believe it will work on my phone. I need to use libraries that are written for the specific phone though, which is pretty annoying and not very Android like. There are also hardware libraries available for the bluetooth Broadcom chipset in the Nexus 7 and other similar devices. This means that whatever Android software I write will have to be specific to the hardware in the device which makes it a rather unattractive thing for me, the developer. I use a RAZR, so obviously I want to use this on my phone so you can expect support of that device. I certainly expect Google to support BT 4 in the future though, so it just a bit of a waiting game to see how this bleeding edge tech get supported, and when.
That's astonishing considering the nature of Android.

Us droiders await developments with interest.

Galaxy S3 here.. Hint hint
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #115
tdcarter
Adventurer

Quote:
Us droiders await developments with interest.

Galaxy S3 here.. Hint hint
Again, same....
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #116
pro-bassoonist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
not the least of which is how do I fund the building of the first round of devices? Stay tuned...
Hi, have you thought about Kickstarter?
pro-bassoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #117
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Yes, of course. Many options available.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #118
tdcarter
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
The Banshee horn (another motorcycle toy) got it's start through there. Think he more then doubled his needed funds for starting.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #119
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Single channel news

Lonestrom and I spent the weekend building up single channel boards. We have 11 of them built and tested. All are working as expected. The potting boxes and epoxy did not arrive in time for potting this weekend but we will pot them later in the week or next weekend. Loctite was gracious enough to furnish us with potting chemistry and I would like to offer many thanks for their generosity. I had some off brand chemistry and a little sewing kit box that I used in lieu of a potting box and potted up one board. Photo below. I attached it to my bike and it worked as expected, no drama (15A for an hour and it was 3 degrees warmer than ambient temp). We will be shipping these pre-production samples to vendors as soon as we have potted them so that can test them out and provide enough orders to get this product kicked off.

The new 8 channel printed circuit boards are in Chicago on their way to me and will arrive in the next day or two. These may very well be ready to go. If so, I have a bunch of firmware and software to write and then much testing to do on and off the bike.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #120
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Simple version

Started to read this entire thread and think my eyes qlazed over at about page 4 - am not tech savy - have no blue tooth anything and probaly never will. Positive I will never have some fancy phone and wondering if you will have a dumb manual version for guys like me. I like the idea of power management as I have a power limited bike (XC-W) and would like to run some heated gear and control LED headlights and LED dash lights. I intended to order a Rowe Electronics unit this week when I saw this thread - I really would prefer to help an inmate
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote