Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
crotchrocket3000 OP
b00b

Oddometer: 202
Towing A Scooter With Rear Wheel Down

Hi All,

My bike has broken down and I'm off to look at an Aprilia Mojito 125 as a short term replacement. I have a carrier for the back of my car, where you just put the front wheel of the bike on it and 'drag' the rear wheel. It works great on my VN, but would this mess up anything in the auto box of the scooter???? I just seem to remember you can't tow an automatic car, is it the same for a bike?
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I believe the centrifugal clutch works/engages with engine running.
It shall not engage with aft wheel spinning.

I don't think it will mess up anything.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
crotchrocket3000 OP
b00b

Oddometer: 202
Thanks for the swift reply!!

This is my rig!

The distance is only about 5 miles.
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Hmm, a Mojito is small enough it might fit in the back of that Range Rover.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
you can put a scooter in the back of that rangie i wouldnt even bother towing it.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasakiman View Post
I believe the centrifugal clutch works/engages with engine running.
It shall not engage with aft wheel spinning.

I don't think it will mess up anything.
There are needle bearings in the assembly between the driven cup and the driving clutch shoes.

Those are not supposed to be turning at any speed faster than idle and only for short periods. When the clutch is engaged, there's no motion between the two assemblies; the needle bearings don't move at all.

If you drag a scoot behind, you'll have those bearings spinning at many times their design speed for much, much longer than intended. Probably they'll burn up after an hour or so...what then? Maybe you'll be spinning the engine and never know it; more likely you'll shred the drive belt. In any event it'll be messy and expensive.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
I am not familiar with the Aprilia Mojito 125, but I wouldn't do it. I would not tow any bike that way, other than a chain driven bike with the chain removed. Even a chain drive bike (with the chain on it) turns part of the transmission, and I wonder what would happen if you hit a bump and knocked it into gear? I suppose you could pull the clutch all the way in, and fasten it there somehow, but I still wouldn't do it. There are hitch receivers for smaller bikes (I used to have one that fit my F150, so I could haul my dirt bike with the camper shell on it) and for bigger bikes, I would just use a flatbed trailer, load the bike on it, and tie it down.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
I am not familiar with the Aprilia Mojito 125, but I wouldn't do it. I would not tow any bike that way, other than a chain driven bike with the chain removed. Even a chain drive bike (with the chain on it) turns part of the transmission, and I wonder what would happen if you hit a bump and knocked it into gear? I suppose you could pull the clutch all the way in, and fasten it there somehow, but I still wouldn't do it. There are hitch receivers for smaller bikes (I used to have one that fit my F150, so I could haul my dirt bike with the camper shell on it) and for bigger bikes, I would just use a flatbed trailer, load the bike on it, and tie it down.

Ah yes, now I remember the Mojito. It was a Honda Joker copy. I always liked the Joker, and wish that they had sold them in the U.S. They are one of the most popular Chinese copies sold here.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,467
why? a 1 ton cargo moving van is 20 bucks in most places. an u haul motorcycle trailer is 15 bucks. better yet spend the cash for a good sam membership for 80 bucks and get your rv and 2 other bikes towed. I m cetain your going go damage the auto trans because it will engage once your hit around 10 mph. A hitch mounted tow cost 200 bucks . One of the ones that your roll you bike on to. If your wield you can make on yourself in 2 hours an 50 bucks of metal

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
There are needle bearings in the assembly between the driven cup and the driving clutch shoes.

Those are not supposed to be turning at any speed faster than idle and only for short periods. When the clutch is engaged, there's no motion between the two assemblies; the needle bearings don't move at all.

If you drag a scoot behind, you'll have those bearings spinning at many times their design speed for much, much longer than intended. Probably they'll burn up after an hour or so...what then? Maybe you'll be spinning the engine and never know it; more likely you'll shred the drive belt. In any event it'll be messy and expensive.
I was not aware of such needle bearing used.

To the OP:
I'm sorry, it seems like I misinformed you.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post

I disagree with the supposition that the needle bearings would fail because of higher than normal rotation speed. (a set of ball bearings is also included in the assembly) Heat, debris, excessive vibration, overloading and/or lack of lubrication are the usual culprits in bearing failure which are not likely in this scenario. Bearings would soon fail even after normal use if they were to be only as durable as was claimed. I've not known these bearings to ever fail but if they have, it has been a rare event.

The drive belt only moves when the engine is turning; so while towing, it is not likely that the engine would be running; therefore it could not possibly shred with the scooter being towed because the belt would not be moving.

However, even with that said, I would not recommend towing a scooter that small long distances in that way. Mostly because of scooter tire speed rating issues but shorter trips would probably be O.K. IMO. I understand that backing up the tow vehicle with a bike hooked up in that way can be tricky as was discussed in a different forum I frequent.

So, short distance tows or extended tows at scooter tire rated speeds shouldn't be a problem.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
why? a 1 ton cargo moving van is 20 bucks in most places. an u haul motorcycle trailer is 15 bucks
costs a LOT more than that to hire stuff in uk. 20 an hour maybe lol
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
The OP said he was looking to tow it 5 miles- I'm taking it to mean that he's trying to sort a way to get it home from the place he buys it.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like everybody is offering opinions based on assumption that he's wanting to do this regularly. Not sure there's logic to buying another hitch mounted tow rack for a one time deal just to get a scooter home??

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
costs a LOT more than that to hire stuff in uk. 20 an hour maybe lol
Yah but you ve got so many old scooter and bikes there that I would love to ride. One of the classic motorcycle clubs there offers a day course for 100 pounds where you can ride a host of old bikes including a 1915 triumph. You ve even get far more scooters there new that we ll never see. Burgman 125 and 250 etc. I guess you also laught when we bitch about gas costing 1.41 canadain a L this summer and it's down to 1.29.9 today. Must be 4 to 5 bucks over there.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
The OP said he was looking to tow it 5 miles- I'm taking it to mean that he's trying to sort a way to get it home from the place he buys it.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like everybody is offering opinions based on assumption that he's wanting to do this regularly. Not sure there's logic to buying another hitch mounted tow rack for a one time deal just to get a scooter home??
Not everyone, at least 2 of us said to just put it in the back of the Rover. The Mojito is a small lowish scooter and would most likely fit though you might need to put the back seat down. Take it out and it would definitely fit.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote