User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Joel mark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
New scooter advice??

I am looking at 2 mopeds, both Yamaha. The first is a Zuma, the second a vino 125. I need some advice, I have a motorcycle for touring duties and weekend riding. What I am looking for is something to ride back and forth to work 3.5 miles, first 1.5 miles is 45mph, the rest is town 30mph. Anyone with experience with either of these, I would appreciate some advice. I know the zuma would be easier to maintain. Both will have to be plated here in Indiana with our laws, so the 50cc no plate on the zuma is out the window because of its HP. Thanks in advance for your help, Joel.

By the way the first 1.5 miles is a country paved road with very little traffic.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231
The Vino is going to give you a little more speed capability (duh) and can easily handle long jaunts on country roads. So can the Zuma but it'll be running closer to its limits. 2T vs. 4T comparison so there's gonna be a bit of apples and oranges.

The stock Zuma (derestricted) will handle the commute you describe easily. No problem for the Vino, of course.

Is price an issue? Two stroke vs. four stroke? Passenger capability? Future upgrades? Have you had a chance to ride them both and compare legroom, handling, and so on? I have no Vino experience but lots of miles on Zumas. I'll leave it to the rest of the forum members here to talk about 'em.

Here's one comparison of the two bikes.

Here's two good places to go to get a feel for each bike:

Yahoo Vino 125 group

Yahoo Zuma/BWS group

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
OK, here is my $0.02

I would let your intended purpose for the scoot and your budget make your decision. I have a Zuma and let my love of 2-strokes guide my decision. I don't regret it but I think a 4-stroke would have been a better choice given the topography of the area where I ride.

Here are a few sweeping generalizations that maybe only held by me:
  • Wind resistance and losing speed ascending a grade are much bigger issues for the 2-strokes. The 4-strokes have a torque advantage over the 2-strokes which make their speed more consistent.
  • 4-strokes cost more to purchase because they require twice the displacement to acheive the same peak hp (compared to a 2-stroke) and pricing seems to be governed by displacement.
  • 4-strokes require less new part purchases to de-restrict them.
  • 2-strokes don't make very good power when they are cold so short trips in cooler climates can be frustrating as the engine never gets up enough temperature to perform as intended (especially with modifications).

My Zuma now has a de-restricted exhaust (Leo Vince ZX) and some roller and spring mods to the transmission. This does not help top speed rather it helps acceleration. My scoot's top speed is a little over 45 mph (this is really hard to gauge without a GPS which I haven't confirmed my guesstimate with) and it accelerates nicely. But in my area a road marked 45 mph has a normal traffic flow from 45-55 mph. I don't like being slower than the flow of traffic so I typically plan my route to avoid these roads whenever possible. To compound my worry I live in an area with rolling hills which cause me to lose a little speed ascending. To make my scoot 10 mph faster would require some significant transmission mods, 70cc kit, and a new carb. I'm guessing this could be done for ~$600 but I have no idea what the riding characteristics would be like. I've quickly learned that opinions on "rideability" or "streetability" are very subjective.

At this point I have about $275 over the price of the scooter invested. On the positive side I was getting about 100 miles per tank of fuel (1.5 gallons) before the mods and I suspect that will improve a bit.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
In addition to winter warm up time, small 2-stroke scooters (in my case a 100cc Suzuki Address) lose a bit of power when it gets really hot in the summer. They also make your clothes smell. I'd get the Vino.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Joel mark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Bump, still waiting for a little more advice. Thanks Joel
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
In addition to winter warm up time, small 2-stroke scooters (in my case a 100cc Suzuki Address) lose a bit of power when it gets really hot in the summer. They also make your clothes smell. I'd get the Vino.
Get the Zuma if you and your clothes already smell. At least it'll give you something to blame it on.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I have a couple of Vino's. The Vino can haul my 200 lb self 50 mph except up what we call steep hills here in southern Alabama. It's way smoother and a lot quieter than my Vespa PX150.

Mileage on the Vino has been as high as 89 mpg.

As I see it, the Vino's weak point are the shocks. Well that is if you can find one for sale....
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Todd
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Anyone Interested?

I have a 2005 Zuma for sale...perfect condition (with the LeoVince ZX Pipe). It cruises along at 45 with no problem.

Asking $1200...agressive price is for a quick sale...I need the cash. Let me know if you need a few pics.

You will never find this bike for that price...and as I said...It is completely mint.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
You haven't noted why the only brand you're looking at are Yamaha- Absolutely nothing wrong with them, and if you have a great dealer nearby that may be justification enough.

Only mention that as there are many great scooter brands out there that folks with motorcycle experience only may not be familiar with and might ignore simply because they aren't household names in the motorcycle world.

Example- were it me, I would definitely look at Kymcos if you have a dealer within reasonable distance. They make several great models that can be found used or new (or NOS) and their quality is considered very good, although the scooter names are a bit strange- Agility 125, Movie 150, Super 8, Like, etc. Kymco build engines for some of BMWs mid size models if that helps their credibility...

I do NOT own a Kymco, so have no agenda to push, other than offering help to someone looking to make a scooter purchase that may not have been exposed to some of the other brands. I have an old Vespa, but will not suggest looking at their newer models, because they are a premium brand and are usually bought based on passion, not logic (not a bad thing, but not a topic for discussion here). There are more brands, but I'm sure you've already heard of the Honda PCX 125 (and now 150), etc. SYM makes great scooters as well, but there dealer support is nowhere near as robust as Kymco- maybe someday, but not today.

Hope you find exactly what you need and love the heck out of it!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Once you get a scooter you may find that it is way more fun and practical than you thought. You may want to use it for more than just the commute to work. I'd recommend a 125 or 150. Something this size will give you much more flexibility and be able to keep up with traffic much more easily. Besides the Zuma 125, Kymco, Sym, and Genuine (Buddy) all offer excellent scooters in this size range. There is also the Honda PCX 150 which is more pricey.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
thread is 7 years old. w/e was got, hope its still running

and.....ITS NOT DAMN MOPED!!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #12
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
LOL- Got sucked into this one! 2nd necrothread I've seen today on battlescooters!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,321
james03x1 needs to realize how old these threads are he is responding to.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote