Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #76
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
We have lots of Somali's living in the Mnpls area. They can't drive worth a shit but are all taxi drivers. Not their fault, where they come from, driving laws are non-existant. So I am wary of them on the roads (taxis in general - not just the Somalis). The other day I am in the fast lane, passing an old taxi in the middle lane, when a Chevy pickup passes me! He is half in my lane and half on the shoulder. I was following a car, so I backed off and let him have plenty of room. I got over to the middle lane and carefully go by him (middle lane going faster than fast lane) and he gives me the finger (WTH?) I pick up the pace and make distance.
So here I was looking out for the normal danger of the meandering taxi and it was the truck I needed to watch out for. Keep your guard up, you just never know.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #77
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Poorly maintained cars with tinted glass scare the shit out of me. Nothing makes me more cautious than coming up behind a 20 year old car with a wobbling hubcap, rust, a taped over taillight and TINTED GLASS?

On the other hand, I personally think the nicest people on the road are driving BMWs.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #78
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
NY drivers tailgate too much.
PA drivers don't know how to merge or enter highways or where their back bumper is.

Bimmer drivers aren't too bad anymore. I'm just used to all drivers around here sucking all the time. I'm not surprised that Jersey gets a bad driving reputation. Seems to just be bad decision making mixed with fucked priorities. Putting convenience way above safety.

I live on the intersection of 2 small 25 mph streets. They are always busy, as it's a popular way to get to and from the turnpike without sitting at a million lights. 2-lane streets with street parking near the intersection. Pedestrians. Kids running around. Residential neighborhood (think row houses and multi-family houses). Blinking red/yellow light. No it's not OK to go 45 on a small street with kids and bumper to bumper street parking. No, it's not OK to go 45 when approaching a blinking yellow, where the people coming out of the cross street can't see you because of the jackass parked where he shouldn't be right up on the intersection (no its not OK to park in front of your driveway just because it's your driveway, you're still blocking line of sight for people making a turn at the intersection). No it's not OK to stop at the blinking yellow. No it's not OK to not stop at the blinking red. there's a stop sign, too. It's just some bizarre world where driving safely has taken a back seat to getting somewhere 30 seconds quicker.

So I don't have a least favorite cager. Around here they are almost all unsafe.
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #79
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
I've owned 3 VWs: 2 Golfs and a Jetta. I really like the brand. I just wonder sometimes why guys choose to lower the cars when they already sit pretty low from the factory.
Chicks do it, too......

It`s just fun and silly. I'm bagging the next one. Layin' frame, baby!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #80
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
Prius drivers in carpool lane, doing 65 when everyone else 75, next girls driving 1 or 3 series BMW's never freaking signal
At least now they have to have a passenger. As someone who used to commute on a bike or with four people in the car, I actually had a party the day the yellow carpool stickers expired. GTFO slow Prius drivers.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #81
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Prius seems to be winning

But around this part of the SF bay area, Prii are so common that they no longer represent any particular mindset. I've seen plenty of aggressive Prius drivers, and most folks seem to drive them about the same as they would any other car.

My pet peeve is the guy who, in heavy traffic, just has to pass me because I'm leaving a gap between me and the car in front of me. I'm in the fast lane, but I'm going the same speed as the fellow in front of me. Some drivers can't figure that out, and make a point of tailgaiting, then passing on the right to stuff themselves into that void...only to tailgait the next car. Hate that!
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #82
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,614
Lifted trucks. Mustangs, lexus anythings, Prius and lately Fiat 500s.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #83
wyomingriviera
Ghostface Killah

Oddometer: 250
Ha..I am a dude who drives minivan, and just so I don't mess up the stereotypes too much, I try to drive like a complete ijdiot. Texting, swerving, braking for no reason, parking right on the line. Sure does piss everyone off, but wtf...I pay taxes too, so I actually do own part of the road.

When ya see me, just give me the salute. If I think I can easily pull away, I'll roll down the window and tell ya what a tuff guy I am!! But yeah, BMW drivers are the worst
'07 DL650

wyomingriviera screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 09:21 AM
wyomingriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #84
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 345
My least favorite has to be mini-vans. I hate them on sight, mostly because they're driven by vapid soccer moms blathering on their cell phones about their latest mani-pedi or something equally ridiculous.

Close second is women driving full-size SUVs. Dog above, they should have their licenses revoked. They have no idea where their bumpers are, they tailgate when they're behind you, they creep when they're in front of you, and they absolutely can. not. park. for. shit.

And then there are the BFNARers. You've seen them or been stuck behind them. They are the people that Brake For No Apparent Reason. You know, the ones that hit their brakes because there's a car on the right shoulder of the OTHER side of a divided highway. They make me absolutely crazy.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #85
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
But around this part of the SF bay area, Prii are so common that they no longer represent any particular mindset. I've seen plenty of aggressive Prius drivers, and most folks seem to drive them about the same as they would any other car.....
Same here. There must be ten of them just on my street alone. Several houses feature two in the driveway. If Prius drivers represented the worst of drivers here I would be in a world of trouble.

I stand by my Escalade drivers as the most aggressive. Not the worst drivers - just the most aggressive. Being a metro DC area commuter, even defining "worst driver" is beyond my ability.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #86
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
X5 million!

Prius, Volvos and Subaru wagons..... Wtf, YOU ARE NOT THE SELF APPOINTED PACE CAR!

Why these particular vehicles attract that "I'm a little better than you so I can go a little slower in the left lane because I'm a fucking pace car" type morons create so much back up & blockage on the roadways.

Yes, it's cool you still have the Obama 08 and Kerry/Gore 04 stickers on your car. Bravo, we get it. You didn't vote for bush, yeah. Good your you, here's your pat on the head. Now get the fuck out of the left lane.

Traffic start getting backed up, people get frustrated, start making poor decisions all because some dipshit Prius owner wants to keep it at a cool 57 on the freeway in the left lane.

Here in Portland those idiots are a dime a dozen too.

2handedSpey screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 10:43 AM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #87
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
We have a ton of Prius drivers in San Diego and I’ve never noticed them to stand out of a crowd either good or bad. The 2 worst groups I've noticed my area to have a surplus of are minivan/SUV mindless zomies and lifted pick-up anger management candidates.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
and lately Fiat 500s.

(drives a 500 Abarth )

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #89
craftsmanracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Used to drive a honda element. Cool car, useful, but ugly as sin, and got no respect on the road from anybody.

Then I got another car, and nobody ever cuts me off, passes to the right, or does anything all that terrible. (except nervously camp in my blind spot)

The biggest danger around here is when high-school gets let out. None of those kids pay attention to anything, and I just avoid that whole part of town around 2:15pm.

I happen to loooooove bmw's, and own one myself '76 2002. But I have to agree with you all, they are terrible drivers in general. The WORST ones are the x5's or any bmw suv. Same with porsche suv's, VW suv's, and audi suv's.

I think european suv drivers have to promise to be idiots when they buy these cars.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #90
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
A couple of times in the past month or so I have been passed by a car which then pulled back into my lane and slowed down, making me slow down too. In each case I was going maybe 5 to 10 over the speed limit, and the car driver apparently felt like they were risking a ticket when they went fast enough to pass me, so they slowed down when they got back in my lane. If they were not willing to go as fast as I was, why did they pass me?

Another hazard is people who don't think that a motorcycle has a right to the entire lane and try to share it with a bike. This has happened to me at traffic lights, and a couple of times when people simply wanted to get past and traffic was heavy.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote