Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,572
If you don't have heated gear stop in the camping section somewhere and get some of the handwarmer packets. Throwing a couple in your pockets can keep your core just a little warmer. Not a replacement for heated gear but it can definately keep you focused on the road rather than the cold.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Where did you score the boots?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
How old are you?

You need shelter, food/water, and fuel. That's all.
Yeah, throw in some moto maintenance.

What do you see as being scary?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 233
Enjoy the journey! I did my first solo 1200 mile trip around CA in March and found it was less stressful than travelling in a group because I could go where I wanted at my own pace. Especially the PCH, great photo op's. I wasn't used to big miles either, but I built up to it quickly (I actually enjoyed being on I-5 sometimes, making the miles). I define big miles as a 500 miles day. Have reasonable expectations, then you can exceed them!
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkmkt1 View Post
Don't over-plan your trip. Your not going anywhere where you cannot buy somethong if you forgot it or discover you need it. Ride only as many miles as you feel like riding each dday. Take breaks for refreshments and to take in the scenery. Slow down and enjoy yourself. You'll find that each person chooses differently in planning what to take on a trip. Wing it. Make it an adventure. Have fun.
This
05-GS- Rock Red 88k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
fnjeep314 OP
Its a Tigger

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
How old are you?

You need shelter, food/water, and fuel. That's all.
Yeah, throw in some moto maintenance.

What do you see as being scary?
I am 32. I guess what I see as scary is the distance, possible breakdown and not having enough money to fix whatever, and I think its also not really knowing what my limits are for distance riding. Crashing as a cause of pushing myself too much. I know that I can handle plenty of physical and mental pain, but when riding its just a whole other beast. One I want to challenge and overcome. This is my first real distance solo trip. I got all the rest covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Where did you score the boots?
I scored them at my local cycle gear store. They are not my favorite store, but I just stopped in for fun today and just happen to walk by their clearance rack and they had a few pairs of boots on the top, so I decided to be nosey. Sure enough, they just so happen to have my size and were marked down first to $149.95, $119.97, $99.97, $79.97, finally $59.99. I did a double take and tried them on real quick and took them to the counter. Done deal!!
fnjeep314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #22
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 121
are you taking hwy 1 all the way up or I-5? ....I just got back taking the coast hwy, from Ventura, CA to Seattle and had a blast!!! took my time, camped out all the way. only had 1 reservation (big sur) the rest were walk-in sites, stopped every 150-175 miles, stretched, fueled up, snacked and generally took my own sweat time. ave 350 miles a day just poking along sight seeing since i had 0 time table. I've also blazed up the 1-5 in 17hrs. really recommend the coast hwy. .. dress in layers, pack light, set of Frog Togs is a great investment (cheap) to keep dry. don't worry about break downs. help is just a phone call away, piece of cake.

8thdwarf screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 06:49 AM
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #23
DutchTerror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
You've had a lot of good advice so far. I don't have much to add, other than this. I ride quite a bit during the year, but it's mostly commuting. When I head out to do 500 mile days, I take two Advil in the morning, and two more with dinner at night. The two in the morning help keep the muscles loose and less tense, and the two at night to help relax and get a good night's sleep. Above all else, worry less and ride more...

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
1980 Yamaha XS650 bobber (My other parallel twin)
DutchTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
You have nine days to do 2200 miles, that is less than 250 per day. Unless you have a reason to stay at your destination for multiple days there is no sense in wasting any of your travel days with a 500 mile blast down the freeway. enjoy every day, take time to take some pictures.

take your time, dont sweat it. when you get tired, stop. feel free to pack whatever will fit in your bags. But if it wont fit, then you dont need it. Bring oil if your bike burns it, but otherwise, leave all those fluids at home. You can pick such things up along the way if need be.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanderploeg View Post
You've had a lot of good advice so far. I don't have much to add, other than this. I ride quite a bit during the year, but it's mostly commuting. When I head out to do 500 mile days, I take two Advil in the morning, and two more with dinner at night. The two in the morning help keep the muscles loose and less tense, and the two at night to help relax and get a good night's sleep. Above all else, worry less and ride more...
+1 on the Advil.

And we will all be expecting a ride report when you get back. With pix. Because "Pix or it didn't happen."
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 10,780
Glad you started this thread. I will be taking my first, long trip in October so the information here will help me plan as well!

jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,202
Don't overload your bike.

On your first motorcycle trip, you'll tend to overpack. You'll look up packing lists on the internet and see all those things folks suggest. Don't. Pack light.

As an example, you'd better not pack 4 pairs of blue jeans. Way too bulky. One max.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
...On your first motorcycle trip, you'll tend to overpack....
On my first long trip, I might've taken a tooth brush. Really, I don't remember. I had no pack of nuttin.
Young, dumb, and learned along the way.

Weigh adventure and the unknown against security. Ha, at the early stages, there are zero knowns. :)

Go have some fun.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
On my first long trip, I might've taken a tooth brush. Really, I don't remember. I had no pack of nuttin.
Young, dumb, and learned along the way.

Weigh adventure and the unknown against security. Ha, at the early stages, there are zero knowns. :)

Go have some fun.

My cousin, a HD rider, told me a similar story. Turns out a group of them were riding from Texas to Sturgis one year. An acquaintance decided at the last minute to join them. He arrives at the gas station they'd all arranged to meet with only the jeans and tee shirt he was wearing.

My cousin asks him if he's considered that they'd be riding over mountains, maybe in the snow; he hadn't. He's then asked if he'd considered riding in the rain; he hadn't.

Poor guy turned around and went home.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #30
jabreu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
+ 1 on #101

jeepguy, I agree with previous poster, that recomended Hiway # 101. I don't know if you've ridden # 5 from Vacaville to the Oregon boder? (boring). Hot too. take #101 man and ride the 27 or so miles of The Avenue Of The Giants. It may be 3-4 miles longer. But you will thank me for the recomendation. I do 4-500 mile days. Linking them together is the tough part. Cut your time visiting your old boss and add that to the ride each day.
jabreu is offline   Reply With Quote