Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Camping or motels?

Have fun!

Motels-pack three changes of clothes, a toothbrush, two credit cards and go. There's washing machines and dryers in every motel. Use your waterproof gear for riding and a sweatshirt or hoodie for offbike excursions.

Have fun!

Camping-toss a tent, sleeping bag and the above stuff on the bike and go. Most larger campgrounds have laundry facilities too.

Ride a few hundred miles per day, stop and see the sights, gas every couple hours and smell the flowers.

Did I mention have fun? Seriously, don't stress about it. Plenty of miles under my wheels, been broke down bad (trucked the bike home type broke down) and still made it home alive.

Have fun, take more pictures than you want and umm, HAVE FUN!
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
fnjeep314 OP
Its a Tigger

Oddometer: 125
Ok everyone, I started my trip friday morning at 9 and got half way to fresno realized I forgot my passport and had to go back. It was only about 15 miles. I did 530ish miles friday. The only reason that I pushed it is because I was staying with some family friends in Ashland OR and they were waiting on me. I arrived at about 2030. Cleaned up and off to dinner we went. Otherwise I would have stopped around the Mt Shasta area. Today I stayed and hung out and left at 1500 for Portland. It was 285 miles away. With my gas stops and farting around, it took about 5 hours. My butt is sore and my knees ached, but that was really about it. The rest of me is ok.

I plan on taking my return trip down through the redwoods. Trust me that is one area I really really want to go see, I dont care how long it may be extra!!

I took really the 99 all the way up, even past Sacramento. Then got on the I5. I think that I will take this most of the rest of the way, but not all the way. My plan is to head up to Oak harbour either tomorrow or on sunday, then leave there on thursday(since he has to leave on friday for work anyway) tool around Seattle and Vancouver. Maybe stay up there for the night, then head back down the western sea board to San Fran, cut back inland and head home. I am not going to do the PCH all the way down to Morro Bay before heading back inland because I have ridden it many times before. Its the north of San Fran portion that I am truely interested in!!
fnjeep314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnjeep314 View Post
Ok everyone, I started my trip friday morning at 9 and got half way to fresno realized I forgot my passport and had to go back. It was only about 15 miles. I did 530ish miles friday. The only reason that I pushed it is because I was staying with some family friends in Ashland OR and they were waiting on me. I arrived at about 2030. Cleaned up and off to dinner we went. Otherwise I would have stopped around the Mt Shasta area. Today I stayed and hung out and left at 1500 for Portland. It was 285 miles away. With my gas stops and farting around, it took about 5 hours. My butt is sore and my knees ached, but that was really about it.
Good report, glad it's working out so far. BTW when you get time buy yourself a 12 hour watch like the non-Navy world uses.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
I plan on taking my return trip down through the redwoods. Trust me that is one area I really really want to go see, I dont care how long it may be extra!!

I took really the 99 all the way up, even past Sacramento. Then got on the I5. I think that I will take this most of the rest of the way, but not all the way. My plan is to head up to Oak harbour either tomorrow or on sunday, then leave there on thursday(since he has to leave on friday for work anyway) tool around Seattle and Vancouver. Maybe stay up there for the night, then head back down the western sea board to San Fran, cut back inland and head home. I am not going to do the PCH all the way down to Morro Bay before heading back inland because I have ridden it many times before. Its the north of San Fran portion that I am truely interested in!!
There are many ways to get to the coast from I-5 as you head south. You can take the ferry to Port Townsend from Seattle and check out the Olympic Pennensula and come down the 1 and 101 all the way, or you could take the 5 into OR and head to the coast in Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, or (my favorite) Grants Pass on the 199 to Crescent City. The trip along the Smith River on the 199 is stunning...but then so is the OR coast.
You can avoid the traffic of the San Fran area by heading towards Stocton from bodega Bay
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Good report, glad it's working out so far. BTW when you get time buy yourself a 12 hour watch like the non-Navy world uses.
No way! The 24-hour system is so much more clear. About once per year, I am late for work because I failed to check if the "pm" light was lit on my alarm clock. I wish I could get one with 24-hour time like my wristwatch.

Glad to hear all is going well on the trip. The return down the coast will be much more interesting.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I already set my Trailtech to 24hr time. So much easier.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
fnjeep314 OP
Its a Tigger

Correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt pretty much the rest of the world use 24 hour time?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,453
Quote:
Correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt pretty much the rest of the world use 24 hour time?
Dunno. I know I do, unless I'm dealing with someone that doesn't know how to translate .mil time.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #39
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Maybe, but we live here. Correct?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
fnjeep314 OP
Its a Tigger

Correct, we do live over here. I just like using 24h time because it eliminates confusion for afternoon hours. At least thats what I tell myself!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #41
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
if you're taking a trip and reporting it in a thread then arent pictures required..... i believe its in the rules..
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #42
fnjeep314 OP
Its a Tigger

Yes sir it is! But this isn't the ride report. I am going to start a ride report in another thread.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Hey, sounds like you're on a great adventure fnjeep! Would that audio book you have happen to be "The Heart and the Fist"? If so, it's absolutely fantastic; I just finished it myself. Also, I would recommend reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" at some point if you haven't already. Especially good reading while on a trip, but still great in any other free time.
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,383
Read this - The Honda Cub Report. A classic.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716516

Not to thread steal and I apologize. But additional referrals for that first solo trip across the country links and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to receive my final hard copy motorcycle license and in a few weeks I depart my home in Albuquerque, fly to Richmond Virginia. Then I will take off on a very nice KLR 650 and go visit my mother in NE Kentucky. After a visit there I will head out to who knows where but basically west until I get back to New Mexico. No interstate, dirt and whatever. Oh yea, I'm 51 and not a street rider by any means. So fly in with all I need and wing it from there.

Buenos surate on your First long trip, little freaked out... could use some advice(help)! trip!

Please link to your ride report.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #45
OscarZ
one of Gods prototypes

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
There are many ways to get to the coast from I-5 as you head south. You can take the ferry to Port Townsend from Seattle and check out the Olympic Pennensula and come down the 1 and 101 all the way, or you could take the 5 into OR and head to the coast in Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, or (my favorite) Grants Pass on the 199 to Crescent City. The trip along the Smith River on the 199 is stunning...but then so is the OR coast.
You can avoid the traffic of the San Fran area by heading towards Stocton from bodega Bay
When I go to bed at night the last thoughts that usually go through my head are riding up 199. Take the time to go over to Crater Lake if it's not already snowing, that place is awesome and has a great campground.

I'm chiming in late and by now I'm sure you've figured out that you seriously over-packed and over-thought this thing. Enjoy your ride, that's truly one of the best parts of this country to ride in.
OscarZ is offline   Reply With Quote